Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search it ..

I was wondering if anyone knew of a wade able river that you can trout fish and camp near . Some where in northern MI , east or west side. I looked on the web but not much luck with both camping and trout fishing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have stayed here before. I have a place to stay on Torch now though...

http://www.kalkaskacampground.com/

Several great fishing areas near by. The rapid river is very shallow and has some decent fly fishing. There is also the manistee near grayling. And there is also fantastic guided fly fishing on the Boyne River about 45 minutes away. There are other campgrounds as well, but this would be a good area to start looking in the northern lower penn. Good luck in your hunt.

The best times to fish the Rapid and Torch Rivers are early spring, like mid April. You should see the muskie in the torch river around that time and the size of the browns...

·
Registered
528 Posts
I should note there is year round trout fishing on the rapid, just the muskie and browns are in there in the late spring. You can still find brooke, rainbow, etc. Even now in July, the water temps are only in the 50's. Torch and its chain of lakes/rivers are always cold and crystal clear. Kalkaska is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Grayling. ausable river. Burtons landing about 5 miles east of town. Rustic self pay sites, with the ausable in view of your tent

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
QUOTE(BCBpIV @ Jul 15 2009, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Grayling. ausable river. Burtons landing about 5 miles east of town. Rustic self pay sites, with the ausable in view of your tent

You also have sites at Keystone landing,canoe campground, and mc masters bridge.
All of those are rustic.tent or small trailer,pit toilets.There are a couple on the Manistee west of Grayling also.
If you like the Au sable, on 4 milerd east of i-75 is a jellystone KOA, you have hartwick pines S>P> 4 miles north of grayling. Als a couple of independant campgrounds ,1 north of town( on 27) and 1 west of town on 72 south (south down river)
There are state forest campgrounds all over the river system up there. north branch, east ,south branches as well as the main branch of the ausable.
The manistee is also loaded with them

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I'm heading to Lovells MI in about 5 hours for just that. Camping on Shupac Lake campground (rustic, trout lake, 125 acre, also bass perch and gills) North branch of the au sable is right there. Fuller's is the famous bed and breakfast right on the river if you prefer some pampering. They have guides and drift boats and all that. It is right near Burton's. Burton's camp will put you right on the river.

I prefer a little lake fishing and river fishing is all.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Make sure you know the laws on the AuSable. The main branch, from burtons landing to 8 miles west is fly only and catch and release.
access is abundent to the river. Any east west road will have access, burtons,keystone, thendara, stephan's bridge mc mastersa bridge and chase bridge to name a few.
K.p.lake ,Kneff lake, off stephan's bridge west of grayling but both are stocked with trout and have perch and blue gill also.
Bright and glory lakes in hartwick pines are also trout lakes.
Wakely lake west of grayling (8 to 10 miles ) is another strickly catch and release lake. It has some monster pike and bass, blue gill in it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I got just the spot(s)...
The Betsie River and the Platte River on the west side (near Frankfort).. There's nice campgrounds right on the banks of both rivers and they're only about 20 minutes from each other. Both are trout rivers... the Betsie is well known for Browns.. Steelies in the fall. Same goes for the Platte. Excellent campgrounds are available on both and both offer great canoe/kayak/tubing opportunities.... not to mention the proximity of sugar-sand beaches on Lake MI right over the dunes!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I don't remember the gampground name but just west of oscoda on the south side of the river is a huge CG and there are places to fish from the river mouth on up, there are sites rt on the river if you want but we liked being a lil ways back cus of the skeeters,
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
QUOTE(JaniceSeptember @ Sep 7 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Several abundant fishing areas abreast by. The accelerated river is actual bank and has some appropriate fly fishing. There is aswell the manistee abreast grayling. And there is aswell absurd guided fly fishing on the Boyne River about 45 account away. There are added campgrounds as well, but this would be a acceptable breadth to alpha searching in the arctic lower penn. Acceptable luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Manistee river. It runs through frederic and grayling. It is a clean clear watered river and very wade able. It does have a pretty good current though. If you haven't done any wading before I wouldn't recommend that river to be your first. But it is abundant with trout. You can fly fish it or use worms. And they bite as long as you find them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you want the full wilderness experience try thr Carp River in Mackinaw Country great fishing for Browns and brookies. There are camp grounds and tons of state land to camp on. The trick up there is to get away from the crowd and beat the bush as I call it. You will be fighting the brush and tag alders but thats how you find the nice trout. I used crawlers and little spinners. Lots of snags so be ready to loose some tackle thats why I fished with crawlers(hook and split shot). Its tough fishing but theres nothing like catching a brookie for breakfast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts