Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be traveling to your lake for the first time next week and will be staying in the Harmony Hotel. I purchased a Garmin Mapsource CD so I would have the lake on my GPS. In looking at the area around Fairhaven, I'm a little worried. Seems kinda shallow for summer fishing. Will I catch much if I limit my fishing to Bouvier Bay and Anchor Bay at that time of the year? How clear is the water? We want to target smallmouth's, walleye or muskie. The area around Grass Island and the North Channel looks interesting and not too far from Fairhaven.

We only have an 18ft. bass boat so I'm not too comfortable about going real far in case the lake kicks up. We have a lot of experience with Erie, but usually stay on Kelley's Island so we always have one side of the island that's calm.

I'm just wondering if I should try to find a place to stay on the western or southern shore where there seems to be deeper water. Or just pull the boat out and trailer it a ways. What's the predominant wind in the summer? Any tips or spots would be appreciated! Thanks, especially h20 and Alex who helped in the past!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
striperwiper: North Channel area and grassy island are good area's B.Bouy is a good area also. You'll find B.Bouy just a few miles S.W. of grassy, That whole area is good. Harmony is the best place to stay because your boat is right there. Study weather reports to decide if you should trailer or not. Anchor Bay area is ok but get deeper. Spring shallow, Summer deeper. That's a Golden rule on the lake. The North Channel supplies cooler water and smallies like that. The mile roads on the West side are good but a run in the boat, do that if weather permits. Most morning's are good but wind usually picks up in the afternoon as the atmosphere heats up. Than evening calms down alot. Who knows what the weather will do this is Michigan. Picking up a hot spots map of the lake will aid in deciding places to try. Its a big lake and many smallies all over. Just south of Metro Beach is a place called Gino's the whole area is good for Walleye's,Bass,and alot of fish you'll see the boats there. It gets some good protection with west, northwest and north wind. Look for the weeds in Anchor Bay for Muskies, work those areas good. Gulp grubs, and berkley power grub baits in 3in size will catch bass. Using 1/8 oz. jigs tied direct. Good luck and save some for me.

h2o<---lite line will be best 4lb. fireline

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks h20. Is the North Channel still used for shipping? Not sure why a freighter would go out of their way to use it. Seems like the south or middle channel is more of a direct route for them. Just wondering if I could actually fish in the channel, especially the dropoff.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Striperwiper,

Commercial shipping is all south channel.

It is unsafe and inconsiderate to fish in the channel, nor is it consistent with the marine rules of the road to do so. While the North Channel is largely free from the large cruisers who run it at 20 knots or better in the early morning during the week, you should not position your boat in it to fish. Many fishermen do position just outside the channel and fish its margins, especially near and just past the old Baltimore Channel.

It is better to fish north and west of Grassy Island and down to B Marker, as H2O points out.

Try trailering down to the DNR access site on Jefferson just south of Crocker and fishing the mile roads, as suggested, if Anchor Bay is slow.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The shipping channel is the South Channel they never go in the Middle or North Channel, When you fish the north channel it's more or less at the end, not to say the whole channel is bad. There's just alot of big boats blasting up and down it. Get that hot spot map and and work the B.Bouy area. The hot spot map will show where the smallies are and you'll have a good idea where to fish. Just drift and cast till you find fish it won't take long.

h2o<---the channels have about a 7 mph current so tactics change there. hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike, I definitely don't want to be in danger or inconsiderate. How's the water clarity in that area? Tryin to decide if I should pack the natural color lures or some brighter colored stuff.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Water is nice and clear in most place's now,, Bring all you can that way your ready for anything.

h2o<---get that Lake Saint Clair hot spots map.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last time I bother you ( i think). h2o - the Mapsource CD I bought is the Hot Spots Map. I have been printing it out and trying to piece it together (would have been easier to buy the map). Anyway, we plan on spending at least a few hours fishing for muskie since none of us have ever caught one before. I have lots of striper tackle which consists of 7 to 9 foot medium to medium heavy rods with 17-20 lb. line. Will any of this tackle be sufficient for muskie? Will probably troll since most of these outfits are not suited to casting. I do have some bass flippin rods that might work if we cast. Don't know what the heck we will do if we actually catch one. I know our net is not big enough and I'm not crazy about sticking my hand down there with trebles and teeth, lol. But the thrill will be worth the risk. I have some kevlar gloves. Maybe that would work....I'm rambling now. Time to go to bed. You guys have been very helpful!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
H2o the best map for Bass on St Clair is mine. Not brag if it is true, Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Striperwiper,

Not to plug Bob, but you might want to contact him. He has published a series of books on St Clair that contain solid location data and a lot of other info on tackle, methods, etc. Bob also guides, if you're interested in that kind of intro to the lake. He's a lot of fun to spend a day in a boat with.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I wish I could help! I'm not sure there are many that want to take my advice right now

Anchor Bay should still be very fishable. But they will be more likely to be in deeper (8'-10') weed beds soon. The areas around grassy will start to produce as that water warms. Muskiebob is right on, his map is the best there is for marking spots around grassy and anchor bay. You should be able to find one at Lakeside.

If Anchor Bay is not doing it for you, you can always trailer to the westside and fish the mile roads. Again I would start to work deeper weedbeds in 10-16' of water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

I wish we could afford a guide but money will be a little tight. I think I will pm muskiebob and see if he can sell me a map and mail it to me. I will stop at Lakeside for some crawlers and info. It's probably not too far off of 94.

I visit and share info. on many websites and this is the friendliest bunch of guys I have encountered.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
You can get that hot spots map @ lakeside off I-94 go east on 10mile a few miles to Jefferson it's right the. It's called Lake St.Clair Hot Spots map. You'll love it.

h2o

1 - 13 of 13 Posts