Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im am A convicted felon. 14 years ago and I was 17. One mistake please dont hold it against me. Anyway being a felon I cant go over to canada, but can I fish in there waters without getting in trouble? anyone know?

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im am A convicted felon. 14 years ago and I was 17. One mistake please dont hold it against me. Anyway being a felon I cant go over to canada, but can I fish in there waters without getting in trouble? anyone know?

Yes you can fish in Canadian waters as long as you DO NOT anchordown and dont tie up or hang on to another boat that is anchored in Canadian waters. As long as your trolling,drifting,or floating without anchoring your o.k. Obviously you cant port or dock there. I came very close to being a felon myself. I thank God EVERY DAY that it worked out to a misdemeanor. Keep your chin up ....we all make mistakes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know they wont let you over the border if you have a dui ...my buddy has more than three possesion charges and never gets stopped or asked about it.....but he was in the same car as his brother the dui guy and got turned around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im am A convicted felon. 14 years ago and I was 17. One mistake please dont hold it against me. Anyway being a felon I cant go over to canada, but can I fish in there waters without getting in trouble? anyone know?

I would be careful on that advise you have been given...I am a canuck and we have the same rules as you yanks...you can not even be in the across the border in our water without calling in first if they decide to push it. Our customs people may be alot friendlier than yours but they are now armed. For the most part they and do not like anyone on this side without calling it in first.

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE(dcmprshn @ Oct 6 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im am A convicted felon. 14 years ago and I was 17. One mistake please dont hold it against me. Anyway being a felon I cant go over to canada, but can I fish in there waters without getting in trouble? anyone know?

I would be careful on that advise you have been given...I am a canuck and we have the same rules as you yanks...you can not even be in the across the border in our water without calling in first if they decide to push it. Our customs people may be alot friendlier than yours but they are now armed. For the most part they and do not like anyone on this side without calling it in first.

This is the type of discussion that will have 50 different interpretations on what might, can ,or will happen if you do not call first when entering Canadian waters without landing or docking or anchoring. Be safe and call first i guess. I belong to the lake st clair walleye association and i have not talked to anyone who calls in if they are trollin thru. Thats not to say they are right im just saying im unaware of any problems as long as you dont dock/anchor. Obviously you must have proper license's and i.d.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

Go straight to the source and call the US Customs and Border Patrol offices in either Port Huron or Detroit. Search google to get the phone numbers of the respective offices. It might take a couple of calls, or getting switched from one extension or the other, but you'll get your answer from the RIGHT people. I've called them before on different issues regarding border crossing and found them pretty easy to deal with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

Go straight to the source and call the US Customs and Border Patrol offices in either Port Huron or Detroit. Search google to get the phone numbers of the respective offices. It might take a couple of calls, or getting switched from one extension or the other, but you'll get your answer from the RIGHT people. I've called them before on different issues regarding border crossing and found them pretty easy to deal with.

With all respect to all the posts this sound like the best advice. dang, wish i would have thought of that. lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE(StillRob @ Oct 6 2009, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if you go there they will kill you!! dont do it man!! and if you did make it there youd be the only felon in canada!!! jk idk the law id check tho, in canadian prisons they serve nothing but pootein and beaver!

Pootein, Poutine or Protein? I'll bet you'll get lots of protein shakes....and not the good kind. Why would you take the word of anyone on here? And while I'm at it, is it worth the price to pay for a few fish?

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

With all respect to all the posts this sound like the best advice. dang, wish i would have thought of that. lol

I'm not a big poster on sites like this but am an avid fisherman and love to read the fishing reports. You've made a good choice. I work for DHS and it's not the U.S. authorities (CBP) you want to contact but the Canadian's (See Below). The United States cannot deny return entry of a properly documented US citizen back into the US.

Canadian Border Services Agency
www.cbsa.gc.ca
1-800-622-5232

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE(pbar6548 @ Oct 8 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

I'm not a big poster on sites like this but am an avid fisherman and love to read the fishing reports. You've made a good choice. I work for DHS and it's not the U.S. authorities (CBP) you want to contact but the Canadian's (See Below). The United States cannot deny return entry of a properly documented US citizen back into the US.

www.cbsa.gc.ca
1-800-622-5232

THank you vey much.

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 8 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pbar6548 @ Oct 8 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

www.cbsa.gc.ca
1-800-622-5232

THank you vey much.

Hey fishing freak, if you call that # and get the answer to your question could you please post it on here? I would really like to know myself. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Mr Pike @ Oct 8 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 8 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pbar6548 @ Oct 8 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

www.cbsa.gc.ca
1-800-622-5232

THank you vey much.

Hey fishing freak, if you call that # and get the answer to your question could you please post it on here? I would really like to know myself. Thanks

Hell lets me and you go fishing sunday and find out the hard way. lololo jk I will call tomorrow and will deffinitly post it for everyone. Also you you ever have an open seat My boat just broke down and i was hoping to try for at least 1 run for a musky this year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 8 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Mr Pike @ Oct 8 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 8 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(pbar6548 @ Oct 8 2009, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Oct 6 2009, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>With all respect to those that have responded, never take an answer about an issue like this from someone on the internet that you don't know. The last thing anyone needs is to be getting cuffed saying "Well, yeah but this guy on this website said I could...."

www.cbsa.gc.ca
1-800-622-5232

THank you vey much.

Hell lets me and you go fishing sunday and find out the hard way. lololo jk I will call tomorrow and will deffinitly post it for everyone. Also you you ever have an open seat My boat just broke down and i was hoping to try for at least 1 run for a musky this year.

For sure next year dude, i already got the Lund winterized and shrink wraped because its HUNTIN TIME BABY! .......I know....Im an idiot. L.O.L.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.