Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Fishing closures in California

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  J.C.C. 
#1 ·
I read an article in BoatUS regarding this subject which really caught my eye so I did a Google search on it. It regards closure of large areas of water to sport fishing in California. I thought others having the same love of fishing as I do might find it interesting as well. Knowing how California tends to "lead the way" in this kind of thing I also find it alarming. The anglers in that state are not happy.

http://www.sacemup.org/ciclosure.htm

Jim

#2 ·
I keep telling people we are losing our fishing privileges in places and some just don't seem to think it will ever happen to them. There are plenty of different groups out there that WANT to take our fishing for various reasons. The smart ones who seem to have way too much time on their hands (and money), know they can win in the long run by using opportunities such as the one you point out by taking it away one lake, river or area at a time...just like this case.

You can bet your fishing boat that some of the persons who pushed (obviously harder than enough anglers pushed)for this overdone closure would just as soon not have us fishing at all.

Any time any of us hear or read about anything like this, we ought to pass it on ASAP. Of course, the earlier, the better so we can help out before it's too late. We anglers need to start attending meetings and writing letters way more than we are now. Looks like this link is a good one for interested anglers to investigate and get further involved.

Thanks Jim

[ 01-05-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: djkimmel ]

#3 ·
Jim,

It was nice to put a face with a name....good to meet you @ BPS Monday.

I did read about this and yes we all should be acting on it. This is not the first time this has happened. I think Hawaii has a similar no fishing area too.

Imagine the uproar if "they" told us we couldnt fish St Clair?? Would it be as great if they said no recreational boating?

Just wondering aloud....

Interesting topic...what do you guys think about no recreational fishing areas showing up in what should be "public" waters?

Mini

#4 ·
How about "BASS BOATS ONLY!" areas??

#7 ·
That would be fine too...only the 'fishing' boat can't make more than a 1 1/2 foot high wake. (My back needs this.)

#8 ·
Another interesting thing that I found when I read other articles on this was that the panel that voted for the closure had a total of five members on it. The day the vote was taken only three members were present and the vote was 2 to 1 for closure. The anglers claim that the 2 members missing were their supporters and the vote was taken at the time it was specifically because their members were not there to vote. If this is true it shows that those that would take away our fishing rights don't necessarily play fair. Winning is the only thing that counts.

In looking at other sites on this subject, I think I found more that were in favor of the decision than against. This included media sites. The environmentalist sites were claiming this as a great victory for their cause. All of this can be found with a simple search on any of the search engines.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.