Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im headed to Lake Simcoe Thurs night for perch fishing......i made this trip last year and brought all my fish back across the boarder then cleaned them at home. My question is.......can i fillet my perch in Canada and bring the fillets across the bridge, and if so do they have to have the skin kept on to identify?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Oct 5 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im headed to Lake Simcoe Thurs night for perch fishing......i made this trip last year and brought all my fish back across the boarder then cleaned them at home. My question is.......can i fillet my perch in Canada and bring the fillets across the bridge, and if so do they have to have the skin kept on to identify?

yes you can bring them back cleaned but make sure they have a patch of skin left on to identify them and also package them so they can be counted. I had a buddy who came back from there and had all their fish confiscated even though they had the skin on. They were just frozen in a bag and the border guy said they had no idea how many fish were there... Most likely not a usual thing but it would suck to spend all the time and money on the trip to come home empty handed....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You can clean them up there but you must leave enough skin on each fillet so that they are identifiable as perch. Should be maybe 1" X 1". I also suggest wrapping then so that they are easily countable. Perhaps 10 fish per package. It's a pain, but go the extra mile to avoid trouble.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Smitty...My buddy just back back this weekend, and 7 guys ended up with 700 perch (9-11") largest 12 3/4"....

They fished 32 fow using Minnows...He froze some in salt to bring with him but they didn't get any hits... They had to buy fresh minnows in Canada and that's what worked

Good luck

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE(C.Smitty @ Oct 5 2009, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Im headed to Lake Simcoe Thurs night for perch fishing......i made this trip last year and brought all my fish back across the boarder then cleaned them at home. My question is.......can i fillet my perch in Canada and bring the fillets across the bridge, and if so do they have to have the skin kept on to identify?
have fun. we are going this friday for the weekend. we never clean our fish. but I have heard you need to leave some skin on and make them countable. good luck. try north out of pefferlaw river toward thor island in 30 foot of water. maybe we will see you. Look for the brown and biege rinker.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
GL smitty, i think id just clean em at home. i wouldnt want to leave a 1"x1" patch of skin on 700 perch, lol high example but even 100 wouldnt be fun.

best of luck to ya!!! im jealous

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kayceedee: thanks for the info....that would suck to give up 100 perch

Little Guy: thanks for the info also, that doesnt sound like a bad idea

STOSH: that is great news, my biggest last year was 13"

Crazy Mary: I will look for you out there, headed in that general area.....good luck also

sshhiittyy: thanks, i was thinking i could just cut the skin off at home to save some time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts