Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back down yesterday. Fished starting on Sunday. Got 4 Steelhead out of the Tawas River, and 1 out of Kunze creek that runs N.E. off of Tawas lake. Casted spawn, Cleo's, and some top water flies for the heck of it. All were caught on spawn. All were getting pretty black. Biggest one was 39.5 inches, awesome fights from these even though they are on their last leg. Will load up pictures if I get a chance before leaving for hunting Friday.

Fished off the wall for Walleyes. Out of a few evenings, two of us fishing from 6 pm to about 11 pm, managed only 1 Walleye about 5 lbs. off a Shad rap with rattles in it. Nothing off of Bombers, Raps, Jig heads with twister tails, or anything else. Lack of success could have been due to the Millions, and I mean Millions of minnows in the harbor, and along the outside sea wall. Have never ever seen that many minnows come in. You could have walked across the water.

Caught one Whitefish on bobbers with teardrops and wax worms. The whitefish should be in full swing off the pier by next week. Everyone was catching one or two Whitefish here and there. Fished during the day for the Whitefish.

Good fishing, and good hunting all!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Nice report, sounds like a nice trip! I assume you mean you caught Kings in the rivers?

·
Registered
95 Posts
propwash, thanks for the tawas report. ya got a place up there??? i have a cottage just south of town and always spend thanksgiving week fishing off the wall for whitefish. glad to hear the run hasn't quite started yet. hopefully our luck will be better this year than last, however i don't feel too bad. i talked to a local fishing guru (deano) that said last year was the worst year in a while. if deano don't get them, they're not there...good luck hunting.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(spudman @ Nov 12 2009, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>propwash, thanks for the tawas report. ya got a place up there??? i have a cottage just south of town and always spend thanksgiving week fishing off the wall for whitefish. glad to hear the run hasn't quite started yet. hopefully our luck will be better this year than last, however i don't feel too bad. i talked to a local fishing guru (deano) that said last year was the worst year in a while. if deano don't get them, they're not there...good luck hunting.
Hey Spudman,
My place is about 12 miles N.W. of the Tawases. I'm about 2 miles from the Huron National forest. We go up and hunt, then in the evening or from about 11am to 1-2 pm we fish for Whitefish, then back out to hunt. The Salmon are really soft, but my buddy is smoking them anyway.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Nov 12 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Nov 12 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice report, sounds like a nice trip! I assume you mean you caught Kings in the rivers?
Yeah, your right, it's Kings. Thanks.

Yeah I was about to ask the same question. Couldn't figure out why the steel would be turning black
Thanks for the report. 39 inches is a heck of a King!!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(islander @ Nov 12 2009, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Nov 12 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(little guy @ Nov 12 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice report, sounds like a nice trip! I assume you mean you caught Kings in the rivers?
Yeah, your right, it's Kings. Thanks.

Yeah I was about to ask the same question. Couldn't figure out why the steel would be turning black
Thanks for the report. 39 inches is a heck of a King!!

Got Steelhead on the mind, that's what we went for until we saw one of the kings jump over the beaver dam. They were in the river just hanging on the bottom. Water in Kunze
creek is only about 3 feet on average, but some holes are as deep as 8 feet. Found out crossing a tree a few years back while hunting, and it broke and in I went with my new Remington 700 30.06
The river is 15-30 feet wide, and an awesome spot to fish. You have to get into Kunze creek by canoe because it's private property on both sides, come in off Tawas lake. There is a boat launch on Tawas lake. It gets tough to get through at some points because of the rice grass at the mouth where it comes into Tawas lake. They have had a lot of rain up there the last two weeks so the rivers are going good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.