Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish topwater with super-lines and braided for trolling. What does everyone else use? What do you use for jigging and for jerk baits? Any comments would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
P-Line....

I tried it a couple of summers ago & won't switch back to anything else. Real soft & supple, thinner than most other lines, cast real easy on baitcasters & spinning gear.

I like floroclear & original. Floroclear has a florocarbon coating & a little less stretch. Original seems to work a little better on baitcasting gear.

Rela strong line, never had a break off problem as long as you change the spool a couple times a year.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome to the network, MikeP.

I'm strickly a fireline guy, I've been using it since day one. I use mostly the 4lb. test 1lb. diameter, and the 6lb. test 2lb. diameter and have heavier fireline for certain fishing. I find that i have never set the hook with it as it is automatic because i use a stiff rod and there's no stretch to speak of. That's me. The stuff is so under rated and think, "1lb dia." that's thin, fish don't know it's there. A trick is to set your drag just a bit now that's just a bit looser. And point the rod at the fish when the drag sings.
That's my opinion and it works for me..

h2o<--- i get the 300 yd spool from Bass Pro.. 24.95

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
H20, Aren't there better lines when jigging or using jerk baits. Fireline floats. Its good for surface fishing but not so good when you want to go deep.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Fireline is excellent for jigging. Here's the low down.

1. It's the World's Strongest superline for ultimate casting performance and sensitivity in ALL FISHING CONDITIONS.
2. Fast casting No memory and smooth finish.
3. Ultimate sensitivity Instant feel for structure and strikes.
4. Ultra thin diameter Incredible lure action and low visibility.
5. Abrasion resistance Tough against rough or sharp objects.

No other line delivers this combination of easy handling, castability, super strength and sensitivity.
In both straight test and knot test, Fireline is the strongest, most sensitive superline in the world. Fantastic for jigging you can use smaller dia. and get less resistence. You don't get the bow in your line when you fish a river or channels.

Keith Kavajecz: I quote;FireLine's micro diameter lets your lure run deeper and truer, and it's no-stretch characteristics produce INSTANT hook- ups, without even having to set.

Hank Parker: I quote; Fireline not only gets more hook-ups on slack line it literally cuts through the grass and weeds for more positive fish-fighting control.

Mike P. some folks don't like it because they rip the hooks out of the fish and sometimes straighten out the hook.

Like I said earlier you have to set the drag just a bit looser and know how to point the rod tip when the drag is singing.

This is what i think, I use fireline in all fishing situations and I'll tell you once you get use to it, you'll be hooked like I am.

I'm sure some will challenge it and that's ok.

h2o<---says FIRELINE is so fantastic, just think you don't set.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For braid, I prefer Power Pro. Eight pound test line is the diameter of 1lb test mono. It's slick stuff. Super limp and super strong. I also use their heavier test braid for flippin' and pitchin' in the NASTY stuff (14 lb diameter and something like 50 lb test). I used Fireline for a couple years, and my preference now is the Power Pro. No offense H20!
I have also heard good things about the new Stren Super Braid (but haven't tried it). I have no problem using braid with jerkbaits or jigs. Depending on water clarity, I may add a 3 or 4 ft. mono or floro leader. While it does float, the weight of a 1/4 ounce jig will pull braid down without a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MikeP
I jig for walleyes up in the Saginaw river all the time with the fire line. It works awesome, especially for the most finicky fish that you wouldn't normally feel with mono. I agree 100% with h2o, fireline is the crap. I will always use it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts