Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a full-service fishing lodge for a week long trip within a four or five hour drive of Detroit? The lodge would need to include a charter captain for four or five of the days. A mixed bag of trolling, casting, or jigging, is okay.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just for something different and out of the norm...

Maybe look in a different direction than north...

Lake Chautauqua in Western New York.
http://www.anglerweb.com/fishingspots/Fish...locationid=3539

I fished it once when it was only a 2 hour drive for me, and it wasnt a hard lake to figure out. Very beautiful. Reminded me of Torch Lake up north. Its about a 6 hour drive from the Detroit area though and I dont know of any specific lodges, but I know there are quite a few places to rent and I remember seeing guided services advertised. I like to try different things, not just run up where everyone else goes.

I used to know of a great place in Ontario, but it was 2 hours from the Soo, making at least a 9hr drive.

·
Registered
526 Posts
What fish are you targeting?

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The type of fish doesn't really matter. I'm just looking for a something that will allow me to catch fish and relax. I want to show up and not have to worry about food, lodging, or who to rent boats from. I want a full-service place.

Thanks to those that have already responded.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(adamfish @ Jul 21 2009, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anyone recommend a full-service fishing lodge for a week long trip within a four or five hour drive of Detroit? The lodge would need to include a charter captain for four or five of the days. A mixed bag of trolling, casting, or jigging, is okay.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

With going north 4-5 hours doesn't even get you out of michigan. If looking to stay in Michigan I would say you might have a hard time doing it all (trolling, casting, jigging etc...). I think you first need to identify what you want to fish for.

This is a pretty specific suggestion but something that I have done and can say it is enjoyable! Contact the Gray Drake Lodge on the Muskegon River. The owners name is Matt Supinski and he is one of the most knowledgeable guides on the river. His lodge is kind of like a bed and breakfast and I think you can setup the accomodations however you like. When we were there we had a dinner one night prepared by 2 chefs who drove in from an Italian restaurant in Grand Rapids and I can say it was top notch. You can float and fly fish for trout all through the river and fish different stretches as well. This is a fly fishing guide but if you want a guided trip, why go do something you could do any day? Not sure when you plan on going but if it is warm you can even tube, kayak or canoe the river one day and fish or not fish. Lake Michigan is right there so one day could be dedicated to a salmon charter on Lake MI. I guess it is also hard without knowing when you plan on going. If I had to pick a time to go it would be later in september. Can still catch trout, salmon are in the river and can still be caught in the lake, steelhead will be starting to sneak into the river as well. This would give you 3 days of targeting different species, 4 if you went out on the lake, still have a day to canoe or kayak the river and enjoy the fall colors starting. And 2 other days to just do whatever you wanted. Have fun whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks KC. I haven't narrowed down the type of fish because that's secondary. My first concern is a reputable, comfortable place to stay. Same goes with time of year - I'd say anytime between August and October.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts