Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing for pan fish with some of my friends last summer on a private lake in Oakland County last year and got bored with it. The guy that had access to the lake said that there were walleye in the lake so that got me a little rev'ed up. I put on a combination of terminal tackle that was something that I had been thinking about trying and started casting the drop off of this hole that we were fishing. On about the 6th cast, bam, an 18" walleye hit and is landed. After about 20 minutes, bam, another one hits of about the same size and is landed. Wow, that put some spark in what had been a uneventful fishing trip.

It looked like a front was moving in so we decided to call it quits. I was thinking about that day the other day and it dawned on me that the "old man syndrome" hit me. I forgot what I caught them on. I should have been keeping a log!

Do you "guys" keep one? Or, do you rely on your memories to save important information like that? If you do keep a log did you purchase a commercially available one or did you just set up a spreadsheet or what? I sure would appreciate some feedback on what others do and the kind of information saved. Thanks in advance,

Jim

·
Registered
319 Posts
I keep one that I write up at the end of the day. I record weather/water condidtions and fish locations, how they were caught and anything esle that helped me find the fish. I usually have a marked map to go w/it. Sometimes you will notice things that you missed throughout the day, by just thinking about it and writing it down.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i have been keeping a log for about 20 years. it does come in handy when. i record conditions, fish caught, baits used and who i fished with.. also write down any thing special if it happens. not only is it a good reference but it will bring back memories. good or bad. i started with a little notebook and now have a nice binder the wife got me.

good luck.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My buddy and I were talking about that on Sun. We were trying to remember when were getting the eyes off of metro last year and couldn't do it.

I think that I am going to get one of the nice commercial ones to start keeping track of the info. Give me something to read when I 'm old and senile, if I make it that long!

I'd be leary about saving it on computer.. but that is just me!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
At one time, along time ago, I kept a log, But i found out it's the same, time after time, I've been fishing so long now the year is broken into the same spots,times of year,same lures, ect. So a log does me no good now.It's all logged in my brain. Here's a Log form that can be copied as many times as you want.

http://www.bassresource.com/html/fishinglog3.gif

h2o<--says a log is fun to go back and read i would keep one if i went somewhere for a week and could read it for memories.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Seeing as I'm not young like my buddy H2o I have to put down every fish taken and on what so I can write a book about it. I have one thing in my favor though I can go fish and area that I haven't been to in fifty years and my log jogs my memory so I know what to try and where. A log is really a great tool for you. Trying to remember what to use and where just doesn't get it done. Write it down like I do and you never have to worry if your at the right spot or using the right baits etc. Another two bucks for me H2o. Lets fish. Bob

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have recently started keeping a basic log including location, lures, weather, fish caught. But checking out H20's link I see I may need to be a little more complete. Good stuff.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Keeping track of any information can only be helpful for sure. When i read my old log i do say i remember that. It's just that i'm in a pattern that's repeated over and over each year so I still could back log my log and have it still. I take picture's of fish and it seems now instead of taking more picture's all i have to do is print the negative's i already have. lol, With so many picture's the one's i would take now would be twins. I still have ten roll's i have not developed yet. Keeping a log is doing your fishing homework and only helps.

h2o<---says your so right Bob and we should fish soon.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply everyone.

H2o, your sources of information never cease to amaze me. The log sheet is much more detail than I expected but all the info spaces look like something good to know about the reasons for success or not. You know you really ought to go digital with your camera.

Muskiebob, your log book must be two feet thick! Mind if I ask where you keep it?

I assume you guys fill it in after your trip is over right? Or do you try to fill it in on the water?

Jim

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Jim: I try to do most of mine on the water. When I'm with clients I write it down on the back of their contracts (My Half) so I perrty will know who caught what and on what and where. So it gives mw a good record. Would you believe three foot thick
. One week and I'm finally fishing can hardly wait. Later. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Jim: I try to do most of mine on the water. When I'm with clients I write it down on the back of their contracts (My Half) so I perrty will know who caught what and on what and where. So it gives mw a good record. Would you believe three foot thick
. One week and I'm finally fishing can hardly wait. Later. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Jim, been using digital camera for 2 years now. can't beat it. It's sweet and just come home and download and sit through a slideshow, it also takes movies.

h2o<---love's my Logitech

1 - 12 of 12 Posts