Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

Some of you may know that I recently moved to MI and this is my first season on Clair. I have never seen anything like I've seen here this summer when it comes to boats literally stacked up on a particular spot. I remember in the spring when the walleye were out in front of Gino's and there were at 300 boats out there.

I like catching fish as much as the next guy but I don't feel comfortable fishing in a pack. Fishing to me is a means to get away from it all. I sit in enough traffic on 75S every moring on my way to work and I don't want to fish in traffic on my weekends.

I'm trying to figure out WHY everyone fishes like this.

Is it because

a.) that's where all the fish are and if you want to catch them you have to muscle your way into the mob.

b.) St. Clair is so big that lazy people don't want to explore the lake and find there own fish.

I read there was walleye at B bouy. I went there and there was 20 boats stacked on B bouy so I fished about 200 yards away and caught nothing.

Saturday I went to the North channel and there was a group of about 30 boats stacked up in the channel. I went abouit 1/2 mile further up the channel to marker 19 and caught nothing.

What are my options? Do I keep hunting and pray that I stumble across my own fish or do I change my name to Ben Trodder and join the masses?

Marke

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
If you like to be away from the pack, then by all means do so. If you want to catch fish, all you have to do is find them.

WHATEVER you do, dont become a Ben Trodder....there are way too many people like that now!

Mini

PS I tried to warn you about this...lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
EC

It is true that at certain times there are packs fishing for perch and walleye, but part of that is the way fish migrate around the lake as the waters warm in the spring and cool in the fall. Because LSC does not have alot of structure, weed beds, forage and water temps tend be important in finding these species. (probably need to mention wind as well).

I tend to shy away from packs as well, but in the spring I was infront of Ginos and caught fish, the same a few weeks later by the dumping grounds. But just because there is alot of boats doesn't mean everyone is catching and these are not the only places I caught fish either. A combination of trying your own places and trying the "pack" will help you learn the lake.

I have been on the fishing the lake for the last 7 years straight, seems longs but not compared to others on this board! (Bob and Mini for sure LOL) The basic walleye pattern is during the spring, look for productive areas in Anchor Bay, as the season summer progresses - work the areas behind Metro and the 400 Club. During the hottest months move to deep water near the old dumping grounds or off the shipping channel. Most other experienced LSC walleye anglers do the same. This is the basic but there are always variations and changes from year to year.

Also, fish early on weekends and get out on the weekdays (less boats), they are the best days to be on the lake IMHO.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
;)Maybe your better off getting a Canadian fishing license also a I-68 form. That will open up a whole new spectrum for you. St. Clair is a hugh lake and the canadian side has some excellent fishing. No where near the pressure on our side. It's just food for thought for you.

h2o getting the I-68 form will allow you to anchor or dock in canada.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
The I68 form is not to anchor or dock in Canada, it is to get back in the US after you do so.

If you anchor or dock in Canada you must report to Canadian Customs and declare you are doing so. If you call CANPASS at any marina that will suffice.

The I68 form is a United States Government Form and can be obtained from the INS office in Detroit.

Mini

·
Registered
262 Posts
However you can troll or drift without any form, just make sure to pick up an Ontario license.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have my Ontario license. I bought it while on vacation but I never got to that side of LSC yet. I can only get out on weekends and with all the traffic on weekends the lake gets to rough for my wife and kids. I'll get over there eventurally. By the time I do, I'm sure all of the fish will back on this side

I refuse to be Ben Trodder, so I'll just continue to catch nothing until I find something on my own. Meanwhile $12.99 / lb for walleye fillets doesn't seem as outrageous as it did this spring when I thought "Screw that, I'll just go catch some"

I apprecaite all of your reports and tips.

Thanks,

Marke

·
Registered
371 Posts
East Coast,

I feel your pain. THis year i decided to just go ahead and explore. Paul SInko and I have taken every saturday morning and gone up the channels, the sni etc. Nex week we head toward the dumping ground, grosse point etc. It is fun, I have discovered a couple of smallie spots. Not many fish but good size and I am enjoying the boatrides.

gregg

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Eastcoast, By all means get out there on a weekday morning. It makes all the difference in the world. I have the good fortune of having a few days off during the week and usually go then. I avoid the weekends if at all possible. As for the walleye`s, go to Erie. It`s the best walleye spot in the world. Give a holler on 68 for the Czarbarge. I`ll be out on Clair thursday morning.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Czar, I'll be out Thursday morning too. I'll give you a shout on 68, usually leave it on Ch 9 most of the time. We're probably going to look for some walleyes early then switch over and look for some perch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In reply to the I 68 form, if i plan on just fishing canadian waters, and NOT docking or anchoring, do i still need to obtain a form, or is my canadian license good enough/ a little confused

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(itsleagal @ Sep 10 2003, 09:46 AM)In reply to the I 68 form, if i plan on just fishing canadian waters, and NOT docking or anchoring, do i still need to obtain a form, or is my canadian license good enough/ a little confused

You do not need the form unless you are stopped coming back into the country after you have legally declared to be in Canada.

Do a search here, there have been many discussions about it.

Also do an internet search.

Personally I dont have one, nor do I plan to get one.

Mini

·
Registered
232 Posts
This I68 topic has been beaten to death. I beleive that according to the letter of the law you do not need an I68 unless you anchor or land in Canada. I went to the trouble of getting an I68 last year, and never got stopped. I did not get one this year, but I do carry my passport along with me just in case.

Ben Trodder, lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts