Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

While growing up I never really was an outdoorsy person. I never got the chance to go fishing, hiking, camping and so on and so forth. I now think its time to fix all that.

I just had a few basic questions that I couldn't find the answers to by just browsing the different websites. I heard that Lake St Clair is an increasingly famous lake with awesome fishing, but I know next to nothing about it!

1. Do I need a fishing license for any and all fishing that I do??

2. Is there a different fishing license for boat/shoreline fishing?

3. Obviously worms are good bait, but what other kinds of bait are effective in LSC settings or in any other inland lake?

4. Do I need a particular rod/reel for a particular fish? or is it a generic type of deal?

5. Is it easier to catch fish from the shore or from a boat?

6. Can I rent a boat at LSC?

and . . thats all I can think of right now. Any answers received would be wonderful! Thank you for your time and your patience!

-Joe

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
First off welcome to the site, and secondly welcome to fishing. You will find a lot of great info on here to help you learn how to fish. As well as many people willing to teach you. now to help answer your questions. If you are over 17 you need to buy a license to fish. Fishing licenses are good for shore fishing or boat fishing. If you are going to go after trout and salmon you will need an all species license but if you just want to go after bass, walleye, etc. you just need a basic license which is $15.00. Worms, minnows, and lures are all good baits. I personally get the best action from minnows. If you are going after musky you will need a heavier set up but for basic fishing a medium action rod and reel combo will suffice. I feel it is easier to catch fish from a boat due to the fact you have a whole lake to move around in. You can rent boats at jimmy's which is a sponsor here. And good luck if you have any other questions feel free to post them and one of us will help you out.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
welcome to the site, ill try to do these in the same order...... but you need to help us out also.....

1. yes you need a fishing license, for a rod and reel to be in your hands. trout and salmon is an additional $13, your standard is $15.

2. no difference between shore or boating.

3. this depends what type of fish your searching for.

4. also depends on the fish, i have a decent rod and a $5.00 reel from walmart. no problems so far.

5. hard to say, ive been skunked from both and ive done well also, but from a boat, you have alot more options.

6. yes, LSC has quite a few places to rent a boat. many are supporters of this site, do a search for rentals for your prefered location. you can also look for open seat posts. let them know your situation or experience level so they know what to expect.

now to get more specific on what YOU want, are you looking to catch fish for food or fun? do you want big fish or a thrill fish or just SOMETHING no matter what it is. im just trying to find out what your really looking for.

Best of luck Joe!!!!! oh and LSC is a great place

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Answers:

1) Yes, as long as you are between the ages of 18-65, you will need a license. You can buy just a day pass, or cover your whole year.

2) There is no special license needed for both, one license covers both off-shore and shore fishing. However, there are rules that apply directly towards shore fishing that must be followed. ie. in a boat on the lake you can use 3 rods, but from shore you are only allowed a maximum of 2.

3) Nightcrawlers, leeches, crayfish, a ton of minnow species, leopard frogs, grasshoppers....oh, and I found out big fat juicy slugs work great for Walleye lol

4) You can buy a all-purpose rod for most fish on this lake. 6'6 foot med/heavy action rod w/ 8lb test mono will handle almost all species out there. Musky are another breed and demand heavy duty equipment, as well as Sturgeon and Salmon(St Clair River/Port Huron).

5) Boat gives you more options and catch fish more consistantly. Every species is attainable from shore, however, just locating them is much tougher and applying fish-catching systems can be limited.

6) Yes, you can rent boats around here. I heard Jimmy's bait shop rents boats. Another good option since you are new to this sport, would be to hire a fishing guide for the day to give you some general fish knowledge and some fishing techniques that are popular on the lake. I would recommend Jon Bondy <--Google him.

Welcome to the site, good luck and have fun! We DO live on one of the most amazing fisheries in the world.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.