Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is a subject that I have not seen on this fishing site for a while. The short story is; I have taken a friend out fishing three times this year and he's never offer to buy or pay for anything not even a beer. I have dropped hints. So I stopped taking him fishing.

Anyway I thought I would start a list of rules for fishing in someone else's boat. Please remember that he has put many thousands of dollars into the boat and fishing equipment.

I'm sure there is more then I have please add to them

Good Fishing

Letsfish

Rules:

1) Pay for the boat ramp

2) Buy the bait

3) Chip in for gas @ least

4) Try to replace any fishing equipment that you may have lost.

5) Help clean the fish you caught together, even if you don't want any.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
QUOTE(letsfish @ Jun 9 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

This is a subject that I have not seen on this fishing site for a while. The short story is; I have taken a friend out fishing three times this year and he's never offer to buy or pay for anything not even a beer. I have dropped hints. So I stopped taking him fishing.

Anyway I thought I would start a list of rules for fishing in someone else's boat. Please remember that he has put many thousands of dollars into the boat and fishing equipment.

Let me get this straight. He has put many thousands of his own $$ into your boat and equipment, and you still thinks he owes you something everytime you feel generous enough to take him out???

Is this some kind of joke or something???

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
1. Wear clean shoes
2. Don't step on the seats
3. Offer to help tie up, retrieve boat/truck and trailer, but don't insist

·
Registered
181 Posts
QUOTE(boomhauer @ Jun 9 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(letsfish @ Jun 9 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

Let me get this straight. He has put many thousands of $ into your boat and equipment, and you still thinks he owes you something everytime you feel generous enough to take him out???

i think he ment the boat owner has put in thousands not the other guy....

i like the rules layed down thus far... for sure you have to help launch and retrive the boat that pisses me off when some one wont help.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here are my rules:

Don't pay for anything 'cause I asked you to go with me, my treat. I'll pay for the bait, gas, ramp fee and anything else.
If we are lucky enough to catch a fish I won't grab the rod, my guest will take care of reeling in all fish (if trolling)
If my guest wants them (I normally insist), all fish will be given to him (I will fillet them)
Don't worry about helping stowing everything and securing the boat once we return to the dock, I have it down to a science and it works better if I do it myself.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 12/07
2,539 Posts
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jun 9 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here are my rules:

Don't pay for anything 'cause I asked you to go with me, my treat. I'll pay for the bait, gas, ramp fee and anything else.
If we are lucky enough to catch a fish I won't grab the rod, my guest will take care of reeling in all fish (if trolling)
If my guest wants them (I normally insist), all fish will be given to him (I will fillet them)
Don't worry about helping stowing everything and securing the boat once we return to the dock, I have it down to a science and it works better if I do it myself.
I agree Scubajay. If I invite someone, it's my treat. It's usually a case of me going anyway, so I would have incurred the cost if I was alone.

However, if you call me and want me to take you, then it's going to cost you

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(boomhauer @ Jun 9 2009, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(letsfish @ Jun 9 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

Let me get this straight. He has put many thousands of his own $$ into your boat and equipment, and you still thinks he owes you something everytime you feel generous enough to take him out???

How about you take longer then a few seconds and think about what you're reading before you come in bashing like always. Get a clue OLD SCHOOL!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jun 9 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jun 9 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Here are my rules:

I agree Scubajay. If I invite someone, it's my treat. It's usually a case of me going anyway, so I would have incurred the cost if I was alone.

However, if you call me and want me to take you, then it's going to cost you

EXACTLY!!!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If your in my Boat you don't pay a dime But if you like you can stop and get some worms. Its as if i invited you to dinner.

I think if i broke or lost some stuff of my friends just replacing it if you can and if you cant pay up till you do.

Help clean if its a bunch of fish but if its three eyes take off and ill call you when i go out the next time. " In my boat we split the fish and or Ducks no one gos home without if they wont it" odd bird go to the boat owner.

Help put the boat in and take it out.

at the end of the trip help put sh!t away.

Don't be a leach

Don't talk about work for more than 2min. if you do get out NOW!

And Go Home after the boat and stuff is put away

Help with the boat in the off season or don't be the first to call

Friends don't ask and friends don't watch friends just do.

BB

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

Copy that.

and the #1 rule - just don't break anything!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
If I invite someone along and I am going anyway, I don't expect anything other that treating the boat as if it were yours.
If you offer to chip in I will turn it down, remember I was going anyway?
If it will be an all day trip I expect you to bring whatever you choose to eat or drink, along with your own rod & reel. I have a ton of tackle and don't mind sharing something you don't have, but if you bring your own that's fine too. I have taken a couple people from the site out with me and have never been disappointed with anyone. I have offered a trip to a couple others and those offers are still open if they decide to go.
The folks in the fishing forum here are a good bunch for the most part, and to me, sharing the fun of fishing with a friend makes the trip even better.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I don't ask for Gas money....I am always looking for new areas and I may leave fish so it isn't fair to ask for money..

I appreciate it when my rider helps me wipe the boat down..
I always stop for late breakfast or Lunch..If my rider wants to buy me lunch that is great...

As far as boat ettiquite..
I don't like my seats being stepped on..I usually put a towel down to help with this...
Please don't use any sprays or dyes unless you hold your bait over the water while you go through the process..
Hitting my motor cowling once is an accident..Any more than that and I start to get a little grumpy..
If you wear deck shoes or tennis shoes instead of workboots that helps a ton with tracking mud and scuffing the cap...

Common sense courtesy is all I ask...Respecting my boat is way more important to me than a few bucks for gas or whatever...

·
Banned
2,961 Posts

same same, going anyways, usually only let them get the ramp if i don't have a yearly already for that launch like at alter, but thats only $5 but they have to beat me to the money drop box.
but if we get fish, whatever he takes he cleans and what ever i keep i clean
Sometimes i clean them all if i take someone that does not know how to do it.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

DITTO!!

·
LSCN Sponsor since March 2010
2,212 Posts
I also do not expect anyone to have to pay for anything if I ask them to go I'm going anyway and would enjoy the company. There are a couple of people that I told if you have some free time let me know and I'll take them out and again I do not expect payment. Some insist on giving me gas money and leave it in my truck (you know who you are
) so I'll put gas in the boat with it. Basicly everyone I have taken out have been very helpful with launching and retrieving the boat there has never been a problem there. There is one person in particular I have been fishing with recently that is a great fishing partner always willing to help out with whatever need to be done, brings plenty of snacks and drinks for both of us which is appreciated, offers to pay for gas even though he knows I do not expect it, and is genuinely a nice guy. As far as broken equipment it all depends on what it is and how much it cost to replace it everyone I have fished with so far except for that guy Dave that I took out have their own gear so thats never been a problem either. So if I invite you to fish with me leave your money at home.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I know when I invite someone the plan was to go out anyway so I dont expect gas, or anything else $$.
Most of the time I dont fish with live bait but if the guest wants to bring some I have no problem switching things up to throw in some trolling or what ever.
When me & little guy went out on my boat the only thing he brought that I used 1 or 2 of was the worms.
I even had the boat waiting in the slip when he showed up.
I look at as the person is guest and they should be treated as such.
Just dont trash my stuff (it needs cleaning bad enough as it is!) and if you use something put it back.
little guy did give me 2 crawler harnesses which was really kewl but in no way expected. He was also willing to share his knowledge with me in areas that I really had no clue about. Those gestures make him a very welcome guest on my boat ANY time!

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
One of the best things about LSCN & the fishing forum is getting to meet some great people.
I've found friends here , the brother I never had, a new Uncle, and just great people I admire, and those I've haven't met yet are just that friends I haven't yet met.
All of you are my friends, mentors and just great people

·
Registered
731 Posts
Be on time if I'm picking you up or meeting you at the launch. Bring rain gear because if there is no lightning I'm staying out. If you use my equipment just put it back where you found it. This is the most important rule:Just enjoy yourself!!

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(BillBuster @ Jun 9 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If your in my Boat you don't pay a dime But if you like you can stop and get some worms. Its as if i invited you to dinner.

I think if i broke or lost some stuff of my friends just replacing it if you can and if you cant pay up till you do.

Help clean if its a bunch of fish but if its three eyes take off and ill call you when i go out the next time. " In my boat we split the fish and or Ducks no one gos home without if they wont it" odd bird go to the boat owner.

Help put the boat in and take it out.

at the end of the trip help put sh!t away.

Don't be a leach

Don't talk about work for more than 2min. if you do get out NOW!

And Go Home after the boat and stuff is put away

Help with the boat in the off season or don't be the first to call

Friends don't ask and friends don't watch friends just do.

BB
i love that one billbuster When we going fishing and hunting. J/K I love those theories. But friends take friends for granted. My buddy is right now. He is waiting for me to get my boat in but doesn't want to help finish putting my motor together. Well when i do get her going I have a group of people on here that have offered to help but I haven't accepted. they will be offered a seat before my so called friends.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I haven't been out with any of you guys and gals on here. And I haven't offered an open seat yet. But if I do, I feel that you are all great people and If I offer don't worry about gas or bait. If you don't have your own tackle or rods I have extra. And I am a eater so i bring snacks and stuff to drink. If i am driving I don't ever and I mean ever consume alcohol. Any of it. If you want to fine but don't try to tell me I have to. But if I invite I got launch fees and I got all the other stuff. If you lose my lure replace it. If you break something On my antique boat and it was accidental ok but if you got mad and did it replace it or you will swim with the muskies. I won't say anything then and there but when we go out the next time sorry but you got to go swimming yes this might seem extreme and if it does and you think this is bad policy, then if you see me offer an open seat and don't think you can follow these simple rules. Then don't reply to the open seat. I am a very easy going person but if you mess up my boat and cause me problems then I am not the easy going guy any more. My Boat, My Policy, My Rules. PERIOD

1 - 20 of 44 Posts