Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started east of South Channel by the firecracker: cracked one walleye, trolling purple hot+tot, 550 million trillion bugs X 10. Had to breath through our shirts. Fired up the starcraft, screamed to the mile roads, and commenced whaling. About 50 smallies, and largeies, about 25 perch a nice 4lb. walleye, some rock bass. OK here's how, tossed out 3 inch berkley power grubs on 1/8th oz. jigs tied direct with 4lb. and 6lb. Fireline. Just drifting with just enough line out to miss bottom. Pearl and white grub. Had two poles going and had a hard time keeping up many times holding two rods with fish on both. Man what a blast. Oh My where your asking OK out in 12-14 feet east of the Municipal Park. Water temp. 77 some floating weeds water clear. Perch were jumbo's, Bass 3 1/2 lbs. being biggest and quite a few that size, Can't wait to get out there again. Drift dragin worked!!!!!!! Fished with czarthree and we had a riot. Hope you do this good. You know how now.

h2o

·
Registered
234 Posts
Woo-hoo!! Great to hear you guys couldn't keep 'em off. But you promised you wouldn't catch 'em all and you did anyway ... and now there's none left for 'lil ole me.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike we put them back just for you. Hope we can get out sometime. We did have a superday and it wasn't on the moon cycle. lol If your out there try what we did. Load it up put it in the rod holder and watch and wait. It won't be long. We had a blast. We fished from 7:30 to 2:30. I wanted to stay all day but Czar's wife's birthday made us leave...

h2o

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
What do you mean by municipal park?

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
djkimmel The St.Clair Shores Municipal Park It's about 11mile, It's A big White Canopy, and there's a beech there.Straight out east of there in 12-14 fow. that whole area rocked. Start your drift there and when you hit them toss the marker, than work the whole area all around the marker. We always use markers, after all there are no roads out there. We have the gps for the spot.

hope this helped
h2o

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, we were out by you guys all evening... Drifted in 11-14 feet all the way from 400 to scs somewhere. It was mad fishin' last night. Perch, smallies, got a few blue gills, few nice sized bass. By the time we left at 1:00 am we had a net full of fish. All released except for some nice fat perch. Not a single walleye though. Got a 20 lb line torn 3 times, not sure by what. I had one of these monsters right at the boat but it was dark and we couldn't see what it was. Either way it was way bigger than anything Ive ever caught on st. clair before. And not to mention those pesky sheepheads. What a waste of bait. Must have dragged at least 10 of them out. All HUGE! And the DNR guys are worried about the asian carp. Ha! Someone gotta deal with the sheepheads first. When you guys drift, do you just let the pole sit there or do you jig (when using a crawler harness)? Oh yeah and the bugs were an incredible pain in the a$$. I must have swallowed a thousand on the way back to the docks

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beermaster: We just use a berkley power grubs, pearl and white but i'm sure any color will work. No bait on it. Just enough line out to miss bottom, then set rod in rod holder, you can hold the rod, but the wave action move's the grub. Glad to hear you did well there. So many fish in that area, Also alot of minnows were spoted in that area by me. They seem to stay with the boat as to use it for hiding, i don't think it worked lol.Drift dragin just simply works it don't get any easier. Enjoy your fishing.

h2o

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beermaster - What kind of bait did you use to catch that Redheaded Ladyfish? You better not throw her back. Looks like a keeper to me.

Tight lines and tan lines!!!!!!!!!

Slippin'

·
Registered
203 Posts
Slippin.... I caught the redhead lady-fish using a 150 lb testline and a pair of OzzFest tickets a few years back... So far she has been doing very well in my fish tank
Can't throw a trophy like that back... U know?

H2o, And in terms of fishing, I guess this is my biggest mistake... I put a small sinker about 2 feet above the crawler harness, let out 50 yards of line and let it drag on the bottom.... That would explain why i was catching so much grass ;( I never tried using a power grub before. I guess I really should. Hopefully sunday i can get out there bright and early, and try it. I was under impression that it's hard to catch them right near the boat due to the noise and such. Hope to see you out there
Oh, by the way... DO you just out the grub on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz sinker jig with a hook in it?

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beermaster (i like that name) I was using just a 1/8oz.roundhead jig just plain not painted. Tied direct to 4lb and 6lb. fireline ( that line don't stretch). You can go lighter on the jig 1/16th oz. also. slower drift use the 1/16th oz. married with a 3 inch power grub. (pearl and white but any color should work). Now put it out just deep enough to keep it off the bottom. That's all, that simple. I don't think with all the boat traffic on St.Clair that the fish are that boat shy. The Berkley power grub is scientifically designed to smell like what turn fish on that's why it's so good. Fish smell so much better than you can imagine. Also with that grub they hit it and hold on to it about 19 times longer than unscented plastics. Be patient and have a ball. Hope this helps you let me know if i can be clearer. And welcome to the St. Clair Fishing Network. This board rocks.

h2o

·
Registered
203 Posts
Very cool... Which leads me to another question... I launch over at the dnr/sheriffs off of south river road. Is there a tackle shop near by where i can get some of those (EDITED) (Berkley's)? I am itching to try it out tonight !

Strike two.....Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try professional fishing its just west of crocker off jefferson on the right side of jefferson coming from crocker it's not far down. also lakeside has them on jefferson by 10 mile. You can call information for professional fishing center it's in harrison twp i think. Dunhams have them gander mountain kmart might miejers. dicks, bass pro, but lakeside does for sure.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe the bait shop on the east side of Jefferson (about a block south of Metro Pkwy) has them. Forgot the name of the place. It is a party store/bait shop. If you are heading toward Jefferson on Metro Pkwy, make a right on Jefferson. It will be right there on your left. There is a bait shop at the end of South River Road on the left before you enter the launch, but I have never been there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah, that little baitshop by the party store on metro kinda stinks. They have a crapload of grubs there but none of them are those scented berkleys H2o was talking about. By The Way H2o, I tried Iming you on instant messanger and you enver replied ;(. Funny you should mention Dick's. My girlfriend works there, I think I am gonna call her and ask her to run up there and get me some grubbies
Hope they work. I am soo excited that i decided on going right after work which is in about 20 minutes, so ill be out on the lake at 7ish. Gonna drift past 400 towards lower mile roads, out a few miles for good depth. My buddy from new york is in town for a week, and today is the last time i can take him fishing and he loves it sooo much that I can't say no. If any of you guys are out there, feel free to say hi. Blue and white 19ft bayliner with a blue bimini, which might be up depending on the weather. Wish us luck, and thanks for a great advise.

P.S. Dan, please don't mention jobbie nooner, Admiral just might browse the board tonight and see that message. She hates what goes on there, so i think the quality comparison will upset her

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you used a oh instead of a zero , h2o3 not h203

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think i worded that wrong da on me. It's [email protected]

between the 2 and 3 is a o not a 0.

·
Registered
7 Posts
just wanted to thank greg for his help, we hooked up with him last saturday and he showed us where to get on the lake, what he was doing to catch the fish and we followed him around for a while, i myself had two poles going, i was doing the drift drag thing and i also had what i like to call the lazy pole goin, (worm and a bobber lol), i actually reeeled in a nice walleye on the worm, we did manage to hook into a few perch a couple smallies and one of the biggest damn sunfish i ever seen, it was really fat haha, anyway thenak for the help greg anytime ya wanna hitch a ride with us your more than welcome for the first time out there we did ok.
dan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts