Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try the sni for some pike. A couple of questions if anyone can help. I read in a previous post that the sni comes off the north channel, runs behind Strawberry Island, and empties into Goose Bay. The only channel on my map that I see doing this is called Chenal A Bout Rond. Is the sni another name for it, or am I looking at the wrong channel? Also, where in the sni is the best? Close to Goose, close to the north channel, or anywhere in between? Thanks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's the Sni. Don't know why it's not called the "Sni" on the charts. I've see a couple of signs on houses, etc. that do say "Sni" I don't know it real well, so I can't tell you how to fish it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Sni and Chenal A Bout Rond are one and the same. I have caught some walleye while jigging from the boat club at the split off the North channel down to the end of the first set of cottages. I trolled downstream last year a time or two but didn't catch anything, but it was very piecefull and relaxing. Supposedly (neighbor) there are some pike spots on the bottom 1/2.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've been down the sni twice. My son caught a decent Pike on a spinner bait. (I can't remember exactly where). My family and I like the sni because there is a lot of NO WAKE zone and it's protected fromt he win. When the lake is really turned up it's a nice place to "get away from it all".

One side of the sni has a lot of seawalls and boat docks. That side is flat and shallow then drops quickly to about 23 feet. The other side has a lot grass. If your looking for pike you may want to fish the grassy side. The current through will drift you at about 1.7mph so if you don't have a Trolling motor on your boat you may want to anchor or use a drift sock.

Good luck,

Marke

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I was in it years ago with my dad. It is quite peaceful. Never caught anything, but Iwant to try it again. I had just never heard it called the "sni". Thanks again

·
Registered
70 Posts
My memory may be failing me, but as I remember it, the "Sni" was really named the "Snyderham Channel". None of my older charts show it, but the Snyderham Channle was what is now called "Chematogan Channel". Maybe the Indians on Walpole renamed it. Maybe if there are other members that have charts that go back to the early fifty's can check that out.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The "Sni" is called the "Chanel Bout Rond" on the current charts,....it starts at the North Channel Yacht Club (Across from Deckers) and empties into the lake behind Strawberry Island........the "Chematogen" is in Walpole Water and it's refered to as the "Shimmy" or "Chematogan"......they are deffinetely two different channels.....miles apart!!

Personally, I've never heard of the two being refered to as one in the same.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have charts that were my grandfather's that go back to I believe the 60's (have to double check the date) and it is called "Chanel A Bout Rond" on those too. I have not found any charts that call it the "sni"

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks Onesided, that was an interesting read. I'll have do a little more driving around while I'm out there. I tend to stay away from the smaller cuts for fear of hitting something or running ground.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The time period that I remember seeing it referred to as the Sniderham on charts was in the early 50's. I remembered it was a channel running off of one of the main channels. It well could have been off of the North Channel. Did a quick query on my seach engine and all I could find was that Snyderham is a Canadian family name.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
EastCoast,..the Sni is deep and wide,.....no problem at all.....many a BIG boat use that channel.....BIG fish lurk there too.....it's a great fishing spot....besides, it's the same place we went a month ago when your wife and kids were with you, and I was fishing with Paul......THAT was the "Sni",...remember???

Mac

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
No matter what you call it the Sni is a great Pike spot. Just before it empties out behind Strawberry there is a weed bed on the right side that holds some of the biggest Pike in the Lake. On the left side about 2 cuts up from the end is a holding area for some very big muskie also. As someone else said they catch Walleye there also. It is a holding area for a lot of different fish. Bob

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mac,

I remember that the sni was deep and wide. There were also a lot of the "cuts" and "highways" through the grass as mentioned in Onesided's article. It's these smaller cuts through the grass that I tend to avoid.

Remember that one channel you and Paul went down? I went in after you did but I went down a little further. The water got to about 2 feet so I turned around a came back out.

I'm just so used to rocky NH lakes that I still get nervous in water less than 6'. When Curtis came out to visit I thought he was going to have a heart attack when I running WOT in 4' of water.

Marke

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd like to try that area behind Strawberry Bob. Maybe this weekend. Like East Coast, I get a little nervous too since I hit some rocks earlier this year by the Ford Mansion. I was drifting and the outdrive hit a rock. I dropped my fishing pole to go raise the outdrive. Guess where I dropped it.......you got it. In the water
. Upon leaving the area, the water dropped to about 5ft, so I gave it some more throttle. Then it came back up to 2ft and I hit again
. This time much harder, and that one bent the edge of my prop a little. But no major damage. Oops!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just one more

We fished the Sni two weeks ago for bass. We didn't catch any bass but caught 3 pike from approximately 26 to 32 inches. All the fish were caught around 10:30 to 11:00 in the morning on the break opposite of the Baltimore Highway. They all hit dark green tubes and yamamoto's in about 12 to 15 foot of water. I have caught some dandy pike in the past fishing in between the docks that are along the shoreline near the Baltimore highway. Try jerkbaits and spinnerbaits between the docks and don't be afraid to cast way up shallow, they are there you just can't see them and once in awhile you will catch a pig largehead or smallie.

Let us know how you do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appreciate the tips workingman. I did not go there this past weekend, but if the weather is decent this saturday, i hope to try it. Thanks again

1 - 18 of 18 Posts