Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out with my dad and two fishing partners this Saturday. We don't target
musky very often and was wondering, if you guys could tell me a good place/s to start?
We'll be trolling in a 29' Sea Ray Amber Jack. Dad caught his first one Monday off this
boat fishing between the 400 Club and 9 mile. Any other spots would be greatly appreciated.

Bob,

I know you don't troll, but I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Canuk........ Try Anchor Bay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,really this time of year the whole lake is good maybe a little more shallow than what you would run in ther summer but 8-12 feet should be the ticket.....Dumpping grounds would be good to,,,,, pulled 2 40+ inchers out of there on the opener,,,,they are kinda like a a pack fish,,, if you set in to one chances are there are a few more in the area..... got the 43 incher on a t-2 terminator crackle frog and got the 45 incher on a niles carp color good luck to ya ch# 68 (ripping)

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ripping,

I was wondering about the Dumping Grounds. I fished that area last year for walleye a lot
and always saw the musky guys out there too. I thought it might be a little early for that
area yet, but it sounds like that may be a good spot to start. Thanks for the help!

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I think you should try in front of the spillway for starters. The Clinton River Mouth. Strawberry Island and then up the Bay to Fair Haven then around toward Marsac Creek and out in front of the New Baltimore Tower. Then Pas the Salt toward Selfridge Field. this trip should put you over some very good fish... Bob

·
Registered
280 Posts
went perch fishing in front of metro, really close to the day sail ramp, 7 fow, sunday, got a small 21" pike on a plain worm.
i put on a large minnow about 4" that i got for walleye and within 10 minutes the line went slack then tightened and RAN!!!
had it up about 3 times by the boat, musky about 40" and healthy, took another run, spit the hook.
i am going to try large minnows with just a hook and a few split shots drifting in anchor bay saturday, should hook into something..
any suggestions on a area in the bay?
the perch i did get were nice, 1 was 12" and nice.
however, only caught about 15, but all were over 9" nice meal!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cunuk Yea it seemed like it would have been early, and thats what i thought before we started our run through the dumpping grounds,,,, but maybe we just got lucky......The spillway is good to just like Bob said but i dont know how clean the water is over there,, last week it was like poo poo stew, but if you can find the break line between clean and dirty, that acts as structure to so you could do good in there to might want to run some biggggg buck tails with some chrome..... good luck to ya

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
was out last saturday and hooked a 40+ incher on a 7inch black flatfish on a bowrod. I've only been doing this for about a year and can honestly say that anywhere in the lake is almost as good as the next. Speed doesn't matter water clarity doesn't matter heck even lures don't. Had a 47 take a tiny orange bladed crawler harness when we were drifting for walleye. If ya put it in front of em, more often than not they will hit it. Just keep tryin. Oh yea, read everything you can about musky in these forums get behind one of the guys trolling about 5-7 mph and just watch and learn....

·
Registered
280 Posts
as far as trolling, i am not sure how fast my boat goes in the lowest idle, like you would use to get out the metro canal.
would there be anyway to troll like that, have a 19' bayliner

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Try a kicker...if you want cheap look into a trolling plate. couple different styles up to $120 or so and shouldn't adversly affect performance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts