Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I live in Ludington and do Ok up here. I visit my wifes family , they have a cottage on Lake St. Clair near Deckers. I have inconsistent results at best. I can't get used to fishing the current. Do you have a couple of basic suggestions that may help my success. I have hit the smallmouth ok one time after seeing a flock of gulls diving to the surface. I threw a jigging spoon into the area and quickly caught fish. I drift along the weedbeds in the middle channel throwing huskie jerks or countdowns. I drift crawler harnesses on the bottom with 1 to 2 oz weights. I never have much success. Should I be moving faster than the current when drifting harnesses? Should I be controlling the drift with a motor if using jigs? Are some colors better than others? How do you find the perch in September and October? Do surface baits ever catch fish? I would like to try my luck again these next two months. Where do I start? I consider myself an ok fisherman but should probably fish with a local to see how it is done. This lake humbles me every time. Let me know. Joe

·
Registered
262 Posts
Joe,

When using the jigs you will and to backtroll in order to keep your line as verticle as possible. For walleye, I don;t believe color is that important on the rivers, the current is moving so fast, location near current breaks and bump/humps is probably more important. Try the Sni in addition to the Middle Channel.

You are close to Anchor Bay from the cottage, perch fishing should be good the next two month. Use shiners, check with the bait shop near you at Palms and M-29, think it is called Bluewater Bait, not sure. Perch will be in the weed beds, keep moving till you get some, I usually pull anchor if the first 5-10 minutes yields no fish.

Get yourself a hotspots map, it will give you some areas to concentrate on. Between the rivers and the lake, it is a big system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One sided, the folks live on the sni near the baltimore highway. When you say weed beds for perch do you mean the visible reeds or the sumberged weeds. Last fall I caught perch by going right into the reeds in 3 to 4 feet of water with minnows. I will get the hotspots map and just keep trying. I get my bait at Mackies near Deckers, he traps spot tails and is always good to talk to. It is just a matter of spending time on the lake. Thanks again. Joe

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fished the Sni pretty heavily for perch and have found the most fish are found along the far shore high weed beds right at the drop off. If you head West (or away from the bay) from Deckers and continue to the Yacht Club on the Island, turn right and go in to the Sni about 1/2 a mile or so. There will be sparse telephone poles on your right far off. I used to use them for a guide (pre GPS) and it seems to me that there were two that had a greater space between them. If I lined myself up with the gap, there were usually good high weed beds along the opposite shore of the type I was looking for. We usually used simple crappie rigs with worms if the water temp was above 60 -65 degrees/minnows if below.
In recent years, the weeds have not been growing as high as in the past. Previously, the weed tops would just about crest at the surface. You want to be just along side of them. That weedline used to continue quite a ways down the sni, and we would just keep moving anchor to find the fish.
There is also a pretty good perch spot at the T junction of the Sni and the Channel there but it will be difficult for me to describe without giving you GPS coordinates. Best I can do is say that if you were hugging Decker's side of the channel and heading towards the Sni, contine across to the far side and there is a pretty good weed edge there. If you are in the right area, you will see a large cement drain below the surface there. I have had good luck there in the past.
As far as the walleye goes, the son of the owner of Schram's boat rental there showed me how he uses tiny crawler harnesses with nothing but split shot to take them down just over the weeds of the Decker side of the channel. The blades of the harnesses were no bigger than my pinky nail. You have to control your "drift" with a trolling motor to navigate the jagged weed line of the channel heading away from the sni from the end of Anchor Bay Drive.
Hope this helps, I was hoping to head out there sometime soon myself. Good luck and post your reports!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts