Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tieing your knot hold the tag end just right and pull the other part of your line and you won't have to cut the tag end. I do this all the time,while tieing the trilene knot, people go I don't believe that. Just give it a little practice, you'll get the hang of it. Keep trying it and before you know it you'll be doing it. It save's time, precious moment's to get the lure back where it belong's. So now give just one tip that might teach us something....hey thanks!!!!!!!!! As you practice and if you still have to cut the tag end so what you were going to do that anyways.....

h2o, knotman lol

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
While Walleye Jigging always lip hook the Minnow upside down.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(h2o @ Aug 24 2003, 06:37 PM)When tieing your knot hold the tag end just right and pull the other part of your line and you won't have to cut the tag end. I do this all the time,while tieing the trilene knot, people go I don't believe that.
I tie mostly Palomar knots and do the exact opposite. Reason being I want the tag end to absorb all the stress, stretch, etc as I'm pulling it through the knot, instead of the end I'm fishing with. Trilene knots are different and you can do as you mentioned and it will ensure your knot is good and tight.

Other tips...

Spray your line with WD-40 after you spool it up and periodically if it is starting to feel a little "ripe".

Consoladate your tackkle. Believe it our not, I roll with just 3 plano boxes and 2 small soft sided bags. Everything fits in one normal size tackle bag. I bring only what I know I'm going to use and leave misc and spare gear at home. This saves a lot of time on the water as I don't have to dig through my gear to find what I need. And Dan, it will get you a couple of extra miles per hour out of your rig!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Always remember to buy extra drain plugs for the boat !!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
When using crawlers, turn your containers upside down in the cooler. The worms will be at the top when you open it. instead of the bottom.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I use Silicone spray on my fishing line.

When using your own bass boat on the Great Lakes, take all your tackle in your boat - you won't have to worry about forgetting anything important and your boat will be heavier so you can run harder through the rough stuff since it won't be so apt to go as airborne as those darn, organized anglers. You'll almost never get to run full out anyway. It's too darn rough.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I agree with the take everything you own theory....except I might need a 50' Viking Sportfish to house it all. Anyone know where I can get an 8 foot trolling motor shaft? LOL

1. When respooling your reels, fill the reel halfway with old line before you put the fresh stuff on. You will use less line and it will make spooling your 20 ALL STAR rod and reel combos faster.

2. Also when using a baitcaster in the wind with a light bait, cast out as far as you can and peel about 30 feet more off the spool. Then place a strip of electrical tape on the spool and reel the line over it. This will end the dreaded "deep" professional overruns (backlashes). The spool will spin until the line hits the electrical tape.

3. Using "Fishing Glue" on your soft plastics to glue them to the hook or jighead will make them last longer and the bait wont get pulled off.

4. Posting on and reading the fishing reports section of the Lake St Clair Network will make you a better fisherperson! LOL

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great tips fellow fisherman: i like mini's tape on the bait casters, that should help alot of backlash problems, also the crawlers upside down is awesome. Thanks guys now keep them coming we sure can learn alot from your tips. If you read this, Post a tip. It helps us all out. All tips here are good stuff...

h2o, tipster lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just learned this from the posst about Musky at Grassy:

1. Get a cradle if you want to land the big ones.
2. Keep a camera on board to share the ones you don't land.
3. and from the great and wonderful oz....."Let it go.....Let it grow"

·
Registered
666 Posts
But when the wind gets in your way and you do get one of those amateur overruns take you thumb nail and dig it into the line and crank the handle a couple of turns. You should then be able to just pull out the line.
Works for all but the very worst wind gusts.

·
Registered
927 Posts
if the boats clean, your not fishing!

if your not casting, yout not catching!

two wrongs dont make a right, so dont tell me you will land the next one after you lose two in a row.

things my grandpa used to tell my father. no wonder my dad never took me fishing...........lol

madman himself

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Madman I'll remember that grandpa was wise...... thanks

h2o

·
Registered
99 Posts
Be or find a good fishing PARTNER!

A good fishing partner can make all the difference in the world.

Show up early, learn what to do, help with the boat, launch, dock, fuel.

Have your own gear, know what you need and bring it.

The key to any good partnership is working together. "FISH ON" should start a series of events, casting, trolling or jigging, what lines need to come in, where is the boat going, be a good net man.

Besides, the next best thing to catching that monster SMB, Walleye, Pike or Muskie is to be there to net it!

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
When vertical jigging in current or in windy conditions for walleye, or any other fish, it is critical to keep your line as vertical, straight down, as possible. To accomplish this, point your electric trolling motor in the direction that your line is drifting away from vertical. This is commonly refered to as chasing your line. This will assure good bait action, good feel of the bite, good hooksets, and greatly reduce snaging or other hangups. One other point, don't delay in responding to the line drifting. Stay alert and respond as quickly as possible to maintain vertical. Doing so will require minor adjustments rather than having to wast time chasing.

Jim

·
Registered
218 Posts
Respect the other fisherman around you (or at the spot you want to fish).
Know and obey the rules of boating and fishing.
Sharp hooks.
Use pliers, or cut the line on deep hooked fish (if your releasing them).
Hook sets are free, if it feels different, swing away.

·
Registered
927 Posts
HOOK SETS ARE FREEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

that one is up there in the top 5 of all time best fishing tips. i use this one myself often.

if i dont set the hook at least 30 times an hour, im doing something wrong. i cant tell you how many i times while fishing i just knew it was a weed on my line, but set the hook anyway, and landed a fish. you just cant be too sure.

well said 5alive.

madman himself

·
Registered
62 Posts
when casting with a spinning reel, get in the habit of flipping your bail by hand when the lure hits the water and then slide your hand down the line a few inches and pull to get it taunt on the reel before beginning your retrieve. This really helps prevent some of the problems with line twist and freshly spooled line. It DOESN’T prevent line twist but it can alleviate some of the pain it causes. It also helps in the wind when a lot of slack is created after casting. If you get a lot of loops in your line on the spool and can’t figure out how, it’s usually from that first crank after casting. It may seem tedious at first but it will become second nature in no time. You also won’t get so frustrated when your reel fails to flip the bail after you start cranking.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts