Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sorry for the late post. Many of you gave some nice pointers on where to fish and I thank you. However, the charter chose where to fish.

I will say that the fishing part of the trip was absolutely terrible. This was quite a let down since I won this trip at the Ultimate Fishing Show back in january and I've been laid off back in october, so this trip was a real treat for me. The trip for two included all day fishing plus an overnite stay at the "Bed and Breakfast". Rich ,the guy running the charter, gave me a call early last week and said the if I were interested, my guest and I could extend our stay for another day for a fraction of what it normally cost. I agreed thinking that getting a place to stay and two whole days of fishing for the cost of gas for the weekend was a great deal.

So, I pick up my buddy Charlie at his house and start the long drive thursday evening to Millersburg, which is just west of Rodgers City. About a 4.5 hour drive. Got a little lost up there because someone knocked over the street sign that the bed and breakfast was on. So we didn't get there until around 10:30pm. Rich was waiting for us and we said our hello's and he showed us around. The bed and breakfast was a nice ranch home with three bedrooms and two baths and he told us that we had it all to our selves. That was unexpected and pretty sweet. Then he tells us goodnight and that he will be picking us up at 3:45am.

So we get our stuff into our rooms and try to get some sleep. The next morning we get up and he is there at exactly 3:45. We head off to launch in Rodgers City. Launching in pitch black on Lake Huron was kind of wierd and quiet. Rich sets up his trolling gear and just before the sunrises, we have eight lines in the water. And we wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Nothing. Rich gets on his CB to call his other charter buddies who he can see in the distance. They are having the same luck. Everyone is wondering what the heck is going on. This doesn't happen. Rich and Charlie start blaming me for some reason
. Around 1:00 Rich decides to pack it up. As he's bringing his gear in, one line feels funny and he lets me bring it in. It was a small laker, not even big enough to throw off the weight. And the ONLY fish I caught up there. Also, Charlie's camera somehow got soaked and went to camera heaven, so we used my daughter's camera that I brought up.
We packed it up and Rich dropped us off. He said after everyone gets a nap in that we could come over to his place and we could use his small boat to troll up the creek behind his house to a small lake about a half mile down. Sounds sweet.
Rich gave us two battery's for his trolling motor, one to get up there, one to come back. And he suggested that since the lightest person (me) operates the trolling motor since the creek can be very shallow in spots. We head on out and the first battery dies before we even get to the lake. I figure I'm not going to use the second battery to get there, I will use it to get back, so I rowed the rest of the way to the lake. We finally get to the lake and it wasn't bad at all. Except that Charlie caught all the fish
. I hooked a nice pike that threw the lure as it go to the boat and two nice LM also threw their hooks. When we were head back to Rich's house, Charlie fished off the back and I was stuck working the motor which needed constant attention since it kept getting tangled in weeds. It seemed like every 2 minutes Charlie was telling me to stop so he could reel in a fish. Charlies total for that part of the trip was 3 pike, 6 LM, and 1 rock bass. My total: 0. When we got back to Rich's I really felt like I got kicked in the boys with soccer cleats. It didn't help that Charlie kept saying that mine didn't count since they never got in the boat and that working the trolling motor threw a shallow winding creek was no excuse for not catching fish
. To top it off, I somehow lost my daughters camera

Saturday morning Rich comes over and we follow him over to Alpena and he tells us that we will be fishing for walleye. Long story short, no walleye. Zero. Not even a throwback. When we get back to the launch we talked to some other guys and they had the same results. Only one guy caught one walleye. So we said our goodbye's to Rich and head home. It was a nice trip, but I was let down by the fish not biting on Lake Huron. At least we were not the only ones it happened to. I would do it again next year, I would just make sure the fish were biting first
Rich is a good guide and a great guy. He also does bird hunting trips on his property. Here is his link if anyone is interested: http://www.tlcbirdpreserve.com/

Sorry this was a little long and thanks for reading,
TJW

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
whatta bummer, atleast it sounds like a good time despite the action, i thought at first you had a bad charter captain, but it sounds like he actually is a great guide, just bad timing. though the battery died, its cool the he directed you to the lake if you wanted.

better luck next time tjwilla

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

Ps. your friend is right, NO EXCUSE being trolling motor man

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(sshhiittyy @ Jul 15 2009, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>whatta bummer, atleast it sounds like a good time despite the action, i thought at first you had a bad charter captain, but it sounds like he actually is a great guide, just bad timing. though the battery died, its cool the he directed you to the lake if you wanted.

better luck next time tjwilla

Thanks. Rich was a pretty good guide, he was trying hard to find the fish. I think our bad luck was the reason why he let us use his person boat at his house.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

OH! DUDE! SERIOUSLY LARGE MOUTH PEKS?!?!?!?!?!?!? The creek was fairly wide, but loaded with lily pads (and lots of bass). everytime I took my hand off the trolling motor the boat would go into the pads. I could barely cast!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jul 15 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

OH! DUDE! SERIOUSLY LARGE MOUTH PEKS?!?!?!?!?!?!? The creek was fairly wide, but loaded with lily pads (and lots of bass). everytime I took my hand off the trolling motor the boat would go into the pads. I could barely cast!

I was totally just playin' with you man!!!!
But sometimes in that situation it is just best to let the boat settle somewhere and cast your a$$ off for a few. It hurts to read your report a little man, feel kinda bad the fishing was horrible. But it doesn't really ever get worse then that, so look forward to your upcoming fishing adventures man!!!!!

Thanks again for the great read, it was put together perfectly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jul 15 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

I was totally just playin' with you man!!!!
But sometimes in that situation it is just best to let the boat settle somewhere and cast your a$$ off for a few. It hurts to read your report a little man, feel kinda bad the fishing was horrible. But it doesn't really ever get worse then that, so look forward to your upcoming fishing adventures man!!!!!

Thanks again for the great read, it was put together perfectly.

Thanks, LMP. I know you were just playing me
. Yeah, hopefully I will have a better trip next time.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

The guy running the trolling motor should be the one catching the most fish. At least that's how it works on my boat.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 15 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

The guy running the trolling motor should be the one catching the most fish. At least that's how it works on my boat.

yeah, but the motor was mounted on the front of the boat

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jul 15 2009, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Zib @ Jul 15 2009, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jul 15 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great read man!!!!! Seriously sucks regarding the fishing so hopefully when the bite returns to that area, he will hook you up with a great deal.

yeah, but the motor was mounted on the front of the boat

So is mine.
Having it on the front makes it even easier for the guy controlling it to catch more fish.

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE(tjwillia @ Jul 15 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry for the late post. Many of you gave some nice pointers on where to fish and I thank you. However, the charter chose where to fish.

I will say that the fishing part of the trip was absolutely terrible. This was quite a let down since I won this trip at the Ultimate Fishing Show back in january and I've been laid off back in october, so this trip was a real treat for me. The trip for two included all day fishing plus an overnite stay at the "Bed and Breakfast". Rich ,the guy running the charter, gave me a call early last week and said the if I were interested, my guest and I could extend our stay for another day for a fraction of what it normally cost. I agreed thinking that getting a place to stay and two whole days of fishing for the cost of gas for the weekend was a great deal.

So, I pick up my buddy Charlie at his house and start the long drive thursday evening to Millersburg, which is just west of Rodgers City. About a 4.5 hour drive. Got a little lost up there because someone knocked over the street sign that the bed and breakfast was on. So we didn't get there until around 10:30pm. Rich was waiting for us and we said our hello's and he showed us around. The bed and breakfast was a nice ranch home with three bedrooms and two baths and he told us that we had it all to our selves. That was unexpected and pretty sweet. Then he tells us goodnight and that he will be picking us up at 3:45am.

So we get our stuff into our rooms and try to get some sleep. The next morning we get up and he is there at exactly 3:45. We head off to launch in Rodgers City. Launching in pitch black on Lake Huron was kind of wierd and quiet. Rich sets up his trolling gear and just before the sunrises, we have eight lines in the water. And we wait. And wait. And wait. And wait. Nothing. Rich gets on his CB to call his other charter buddies who he can see in the distance. They are having the same luck. Everyone is wondering what the heck is going on. This doesn't happen. Rich and Charlie start blaming me for some reason
. Around 1:00 Rich decides to pack it up. As he's bringing his gear in, one line feels funny and he lets me bring it in. It was a small laker, not even big enough to throw off the weight. And the ONLY fish I caught up there. Also, Charlie's camera somehow got soaked and went to camera heaven, so we used my daughter's camera that I brought up.
We packed it up and Rich dropped us off. He said after everyone gets a nap in that we could come over to his place and we could use his small boat to troll up the creek behind his house to a small lake about a half mile down. Sounds sweet.
Rich gave us two battery's for his trolling motor, one to get up there, one to come back. And he suggested that since the lightest person (me) operates the trolling motor since the creek can be very shallow in spots. We head on out and the first battery dies before we even get to the lake. I figure I'm not going to use the second battery to get there, I will use it to get back, so I rowed the rest of the way to the lake. We finally get to the lake and it wasn't bad at all. Except that Charlie caught all the fish
. I hooked a nice pike that threw the lure as it go to the boat and two nice LM also threw their hooks. When we were head back to Rich's house, Charlie fished off the back and I was stuck working the motor which needed constant attention since it kept getting tangled in weeds. It seemed like every 2 minutes Charlie was telling me to stop so he could reel in a fish. Charlies total for that part of the trip was 3 pike, 6 LM, and 1 rock bass. My total: 0. When we got back to Rich's I really felt like I got kicked in the boys with soccer cleats. It didn't help that Charlie kept saying that mine didn't count since they never got in the boat and that working the trolling motor threw a shallow winding creek was no excuse for not catching fish
. To top it off, I somehow lost my daughters camera

Saturday morning Rich comes over and we follow him over to Alpena and he tells us that we will be fishing for walleye. Long story short, no walleye. Zero. Not even a throwback. When we get back to the launch we talked to some other guys and they had the same results. Only one guy caught one walleye. So we said our goodbye's to Rich and head home. It was a nice trip, but I was let down by the fish not biting on Lake Huron. At least we were not the only ones it happened to. I would do it again next year, I would just make sure the fish were biting first
Rich is a good guide and a great guy. He also does bird hunting trips on his property. Here is his link if anyone is interested: http://www.tlcbirdpreserve.com/

Sorry this was a little long and thanks for reading,
TJW

Good story. Go West my friend!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts