Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
While the Fall Hunting Classic goes on every year, I get the chance tyo fish with some of the Red Head hunting pro's and Walter Parrot was back for a return engagement, and he brought his girlfriend with him (must have had fun last year...lol)

Well we caught a few of Bob's pets...one in 4 feet of water at the mouth of the Clinton....I think it was about 22-25 pounds (on a tube). Then a few smallies on a jerkbait....moved to the mouth of a certain channel, and did fairly well. 6 more smallies one of which was a 3.5. Then off to the old south channel for some deep draggin, 4 smallies the first pass, then Walter's girlfriend says "I am gonna catch a Musky....." 2 minutes later....BAM, Fish on! Bigger than the one I caught earlier, probably closer to 28 pounds (on a tube and 8 pound test). Both fish were released successfully. Then I run to the other side of the channel and she says "I want to catch a walleye!" Half way through the drift....you guessed it....BAM a 14" walleye. As she sets the hook, so do I and up jumps a 4.5 pound smallie.....we took the smallie to Bass Pro for display in the tank. She will be in there in a few days (after quarentine period is over).....

All in all a great day on the water despite the STRONG south wind holding the current. We cuaght smallmouth, largemouth, pike, walleye and musky.

Mini

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
I still believe that 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish.. My son & I went out last weekend and drifted the mile roads and caught a bunch of small perch, 5 keepers and a few small bass.. No walleyes.. Tell me where to go for walleyes...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try the shipping channel. There have been numerous reports about catching them with harnesses from the St Clair light north.

Mini

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Mini,
Is drifting on either side of the channel possibly going to work for me? Or are you talking about fishing in the channel with downriggers??? I don't have a trolling motor and my 350/260HP may idle for Musky but not slow enough for walleyes...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You will be anywhere from 100 feet to 200 yards away gfrom the channel on either side, but speed is important. Either drift or use a drift sock/sea anchor/bucket w/ rope so you are goiing from .5mph up to 2.0 mph. Experiment w/ the speed, what the fish like will vary day by day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts