Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that my flares expired last Nov. What do you do with them? I've got more extra (Expired) than I want to keep on the boat.

·
Registered
954 Posts
you can take them to your local fire department. They should take them. Also some Marine divison's of the Sheriff's will take them to use for training in the school.

G

·
QUOTE(hammer @ Jun 16 2003, 12:23 PM)They work great for starting bonfires.

Are you talking about the handheld ones or starting bonfires from a couple hundred feet away? I think I'd pay a dollar to see that...

·
12,052 Posts
Larry brought the firepit to Metro for the weekend and since the wood sat in his truck all week it was kind of wet. We went through a whole bottle of lighter fluid. We should just have jammed a flare in there and been done with it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I gave my expired hand held flares to afireman on Memorial Weekend to do whatever they do with them!?!

Then had the Sherriff do a courtesy safety inspection and passed 100%

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I will take the flares to get rid of them the right way!

·
Registered
387 Posts
...why not just keep them on board in addition to your updated flares? Just because they are expired, it shouldn't mean they won't work at all. Better to have more flares and NOT need them, than vice-versa.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Well the Lapeer Fire Department won't take them
nor will the Lapeer post for the State Troopers
. Seems the ones I have are plastic shelled so they didn't think soaking them in water would do the trick. So I guess I will bring them back to the boat and try to catch Afireman. I have 6 flares. # that expired in 97 and 3 more for 2002.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
QUOTE(Spider @ Jul 3 2003, 05:19 PM)Well the Lapeer Fire Department won't take them
nor will the Lapeer post for the State Troopers
. Seems the ones I have are plastic shelled so they didn't think soaking them in water would do the trick. So I guess I will bring them back to the boat and try to catch Afireman. I have 6 flares. # that expired in 97 and 3 more for 2002.
I will be out at the moot this weekend!

G

·
I was able to use a couple expired handhelds the other day as road flares. I got a flat on the trailer and we had just come home from vacation and I didn't have the spare or a jack. I had to unhook the trailer and run home for the spare so I threw a couple out behind the boat. They burn a little too fast to be decent road flares, but now I know what to expect from them if I ever need to use them on the water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts