Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the family up to the Flood for a long week end over the 15-17 JUL time frame. We are staying at Jack's.
Any suggestions of fishing this place. I have never been up there.
Thanks in advance!

Greg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone!
My first post here!!
I have been fishing Fletchers for years. Be prepared for stumps! The lake averages about 5 feet deep and drops to about 7-10 in the river channel. In front of Jacks may be about the only place on the lake where you can get your boat up on plane. But not knowing the lake be very carefull. My favorite place to fish we call the " jungle". Go right out of Jacks to the far north west end of the lake. I like to fish the heavy stump fields with plastic worms and spinner baits. Surface lures can also be a lot of fun.
I know the lake is known mostly for pike but over the years it's the bass fishing that keeps me coming back. Also some great panfishing to keep the kids busy.
It's a big lake! They claim about 9000 acres and you are going nowhere fast due to the stumps. If you like to fish stucture then you brain may suffer a overload!!
Have fun and bring a extra prop
Also check out Jacks landing

Doug

·
Registered
54 Posts
I went in August last year. The weeds were terrible, but...
I too found the best fishing in the stump fields near the northwest area of the lake the best. I used minnows and caught alot of good sized perch. The perch were kind of spooked though, so I had the best luck if I came near a stump and dropped my minnow to the other side.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
Northwest it is. It is always nice to have some place to start.
I have been to that website and that was how I found Fishweb.com. this provides some good info on the lake also.
I was aware of the stumps and I Have an aluminum boat with a atainless prop. Not that I will go tearing around the lake. Tin boats just take the bump better. I fished some lake around Fort Polk in LA. (Toledo Bend)that sound alot like FP. It will be nice to not have to worry about skier's etc.

Thanks again.

Greg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been fishing the flood for 17 years ive had great luck fishing the north west part but iv also had better luck right in the middle of the lake iv caught my biggest pike there its probbly closer to jacks for you. Make sure you bring lots of lures because you well be getting alot of snags. I was just there in june we did pretty good on pike casting black spinner baits. Entire lake is stumps so take it SLOW and easy.Find the channel youll find the big pike and perch.Besides clair thats just about one of the best lakes iv ever fished at. GOOD LUCK and BECARFULL

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Has anyone used one of those "lure retrievers" that you see advertised in some of the fishing magazines? The ones that are very heavy and slide down your fishing line attached to a heavy cord and somehow snags the lure so you can haul it up using the heavy cord. Do they work? If so, would this be a good thing for Greg to have in his tackle box? Having fished Fletcher's "a few" years ago I can attest to the stumps and lost lures. It was a forest before the dam was built across the river and flooded it all. I would think most of the smaller branches are gone now.

Jim

·
Registered
424 Posts
How about a Rainbow trout every cast? There is a stream coming into Fletchers very hard to find it took me 5 years to find it but every cast with a Meps spinner caught a nice Trout Only the locals know about this place Last time I was there was 15 years ago.

·
Registered
168 Posts
QUOTE(Old Man of the Sea @ Jul 6 2004, 09:44 PM)Has anyone used one of those "lure retrievers" that you see advertised in some of the fishing magazines? The ones that are very heavy and slide down your fishing line attached to a heavy cord and somehow snags the lure so you can haul it up using the heavy cord. Do they work? If so, would this be a good thing for Greg to have in his tackle box? Having fished Fletcher's "a few" years ago I can attest to the stumps and lost lures. It was a forest before the dam was built across the river and flooded it all. I would think most of the smaller branches are gone now.

Jim
I bought one and was skeptical. I can't tell you how many crankbaits of mine it has saved. They had a few different models but the one I bought was at Bass Pro and it is a yellow solid metal cylinder with a twirled spring and some chains and a green rope line. Can't tell you how many people have laughed when I pulled it out and then praised it's ability to save the lure.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for continuining to talk on this topic. I have a lure retreiver on a cord that I used for years. It looks like a mountin cloimbing carabiner wiht a couple of seriously strong hooks. It has payed for itself many times over. I'll make sure it is sitting on the deck!

Any ideas on the location on that Trout stream???!

Greg

·
Registered
237 Posts
I fished up there two of the last three weekends. The weeds grew dramatically in the past two weeks. I have fished the lake for years and finished a respectable 15th (out of 115 boats) in the tournament. I think I have fished every square foot of that lake at one time or another. I like to head to the deeper water. I usually head towards the creek channel about halfway between Jack's and the dam. There are a couple of 14ft holes in that area. If anybody can consistantly catch fish on that lake with bright sunshine, please let me know how. Whenever it gets bright, I just head for the woods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When it gets bright out i put on a small twister tail on six pound test and jig the roots for bass or panfish. Or i cast a pike rod with a black spinnerbait with a colorado blade on it for a real slow retrive.Or maybe a sucker and bobber

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again, thanks guys. What a great resource!
I am also taking my fly rod. I figure this is the best place to try and get a pike on the fly rod. I always wanted to get one like that and the Pond's reputation is one as a great Pike lake.
I just looked at the weather forecast and it looks like great weather, sunny and comfortable so I'll try some of the suggestions.

If any of you guys make it up there this W/E, come by the Jack's Campground for a chat or something to drink. We have a Tioga Camper and a Fisher Grey Thunder boat.

Greg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just wanted to report out on my trip.

What a great plave to fish!!!
We cought lots of Bass and Pike and more than a few were of good size. 20"+ for bass and 30+ for pike.
My daughter(12+) had a great time and caught her share of both species.
She is still pissed that a latrge pike we saw and then casted at bite her spinner bait off!
We got skinked for the first afternoon as we got5 to learn the lake but after that every time we went out for three days we caught fish. that is the key to keeping kids interested, of course.
The lake is self was very nice also. Again the kid really enjoyed seeing the Osprey nest towers and the Loons. We got some great pictures(hopefully, I'm old fashioned and still use film).
Jack's Landing was a wonderful campground. we had Site 13 and had a great view of the lake.
Thanks for the advice on the NW end of the lake.That was were we did the best.

Bassing Bill: Apparently the key is catching in Full, bright susnshine is a Chartreuse Spinner bait. We caught fish all day sun-up to sundown on various versions. I did the best on a Chartreuse skirt with firetiger painted blades.

Everything we caught we got on a Chartruese(sp?) spiner bait.
I did have some attack my Topwaters( uzz and Chugger) but they kept missing the bait!
I will definately go back to Fletcher's Pond.

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts