Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
they dont work well with motion sensor wall switches, at all changed the old ones over to what i thought were new and improved flourecent ones , all they do is flicker real fast , and give u a headache unless you turn the sitch to stay on and not use the motion sensor.

Anyone else have this happen ?? guess i change back to the old style ones. Some one told me they were going to quit making normal light bulbs and only have flourecent ones ,

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Rob, I've noticed they take a little while to warm up before full lighting. Maybe start at full and then see if they work at dimmer. They deffinately don't last as long as they say.......either.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='Chriznat' date='Nov 11 2009, 12:46 PM' post='942442']
Stop being a cheapass
and buying the $.99 compact fluroescent and actually cough up a buck or two and go get the LED ones at Sams Club... they are VERY bright and do not flicker or take time to warm up...

http://www.metaefficient.com/leds/led-light-bulbs.html
[/quot

never knew thay had them ,,, damm 49.00 for a frickin light bulb . hmm let me think i have about 20 light bulbs in house cieling fans basement etc,, 49.00 each , ummmm , NOOO ,

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
We switched the flood lights in our basement over to fluorescents. They are the same twisty bulb inside a cover with a reflector. They take a little bit to warm up, but they do a great job once they do. We haven't switched 100% yet, but over time I imagine we'll have few incandescent bulbs in the house.

·
Registered
9,917 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob @ Nov 11 2009, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Chriznat @ Nov 11 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stop being a cheapass
and buying the $.99 compact fluroescent and actually cough up a buck or two and go get the LED ones at Sams Club... they are VERY bright and do not flicker or take time to warm up...

http://www.metaefficient.com/leds/led-light-bulbs.html

never knew thay had them ,,, damm 49.00 for a frickin light bulb . hmm let me think i have about 20 light bulbs in house cieling fans basement etc,, 49.00 each , ummmm , NOOO ,

They're like $14 at Sams Club for 3 or 4.... thats an old review, prices have come down ALOT.

I was just at Sams today looking at them... Im going to wait for my CFLs to burn out first, then I will replace those with LED's.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
I tried LEDs in the boat. Not sure I'd like them at home. I want to try a few different stye lights in the boat and see if I find ones I like. One problem I have with them is the light color. A lot of LEDs come in Bright or Cool white which is stark white. Warm White is more natural looking. Don't see as many LEDs in that.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can live with that price

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
QUOTE(bobrob @ Nov 11 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they dont work well with motion sensor wall switches, at all changed the old ones over to what i thought were new and improved flourecent ones , all they do is flicker real fast , and give u a headache unless you turn the sitch to stay on and not use the motion sensor.

Anyone else have this happen ?? guess i change back to the old style ones. Some one told me they were going to quit making normal light bulbs and only have flourecent ones ,

Tis true, your tax dollars at work. Some geniuses in Washington have decided that YOU are not smart enough to choose the correct light bulb, so they are going to choose for you. Don't like that time it takes for a fluorescent to warm up? Light spectrum give you a headache? Too f'ing bad, now shut and pay your taxes, prole.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
QUOTE(dockrocker @ Nov 11 2009, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(bobrob @ Nov 11 2009, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>they dont work well with motion sensor wall switches, at all changed the old ones over to what i thought were new and improved flourecent ones , all they do is flicker real fast , and give u a headache unless you turn the sitch to stay on and not use the motion sensor.

Tis true, your tax dollars at work. Some geniuses in Washington have decided that YOU are not smart enough to choose the correct light bulb, so they are going to choose for you. Don't like that time it takes for a fluorescent to warm up? Light spectrum give you a headache? Too f'ing bad, now shut and pay your taxes, prole.

It's a worldwide effort to do away with incandescent bulbs. It seems the US is way behind in the effort.

I looked into this quite a bit a year or two ago, but I cannot find the thread.

Here is an article about it though:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnewser/20...omments/page/2/

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
regular fluorescent tubes will not work with a dimmer unless you install a very expensive switch. anyone know if that is the case for those little twisted ones?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
It is. You can't use the flourescent ones on a dimmer. Not sure if even a real expensive switch will make it work.

I have a lot of CFLs in my house, but I still have some incandescents too. I would hope that incandescents will still be available. They are said to be less efficient, but that's not entirely true. More of their energy gets let off as heat, so they use a lot more power for a given amount of light, but if your goal is to use them to provide some heat (ie: keep your bilge above freezing in the fall) then CFLs don't cut it. Also, in the winter time, all that "wasted" heat is heat your furnace doesn't have to put out.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Nov 12 2009, 05:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>regular fluorescent tubes will not work with a dimmer unless you install a very expensive switch. anyone know if that is the case for those little twisted ones?
They make dimable fluorescents. I have 4 of them in my basement. Have to look at the package to make sure they are the dimable type. They cost more, but still not awful.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Stodge @ Nov 11 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We switched the flood lights in our basement over to fluorescents. They are the same twisty bulb inside a cover with a reflector. They take a little bit to warm up, but they do a great job once they do. We haven't switched 100% yet, but over time I imagine we'll have few incandescent bulbs in the house.

Gradually doing the same here. My only concern is the UV given off by the fluorescent bulbs.

·
Registered
15,073 Posts
3. How do I minimize UV radiation from fluorescent lamps?

Lamp manufacturers generally strive to minimize ultraviolet light (UV) radiation in all lamps used in general lighting applications.

The amount of UV produced by standard fluorescent lamps, such as those in your office, home, or school, is not hazardous and does not pose a major health concern. In fact, a paper by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) explores this subject in more detail. It cites a study in which it was determined that UV exposure from sitting indoors under fluorescent lights at typical office light levels for an eight-hour workday is equivalent to just over a minute of exposure to the sun in Washington, D.C. on a clear day in July.

Some applications require the absence of UV. To completely eliminate UV, we would recommend using CovRguard® shatter-resistant lamps. Where CovRguard is not available, UV sleeves or filters are also used to eliminate UV.

Source

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Snowbi-Wan @ Nov 12 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Stodge @ Nov 11 2009, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We switched the flood lights in our basement over to fluorescents. They are the same twisty bulb inside a cover with a reflector. They take a little bit to warm up, but they do a great job once they do. We haven't switched 100% yet, but over time I imagine we'll have few incandescent bulbs in the house.

Gradually doing the same here. My only concern is the UV given off by the fluorescent bulbs.

A little UV is good for you. You should try it some time. Especially the natural stuff!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Nov 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A little UV is good for you. You should try it some time. Especially the natural stuff!

I don't care about me. I'm more concerned with items I have under them discoloring gradually over the years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts