Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a seminar where the speaker was very impressed with this line. I have never used it and when I found out the price I guess I know why. Is anyone using it and is it worth the extra money?. I have heard of some guys using it for a leader but I don't like the idea of a second knot in the line. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
chewy, i use carbon line alot and have found bass pro shops XPS carbon to perform better than most plus you'll save some money. carbon lines do not cast further than mono,this is the major drawback. I use carbon line 100% when I'm dragging,pitching or flipping. I do not use when casting distance is needed. hope this will help you...

·
Registered
927 Posts
chewy, carbon line has its good points and bad points. some of the good points are that is is very abrasion resistent, it doesn't absorb water like mono does, its more sensitive than mono ( my opinion, i know many who would disagree), and it just about disappears in the water. i have used it on my spinning reels and didnt like it at all, but on my baitcasters it is excellent. i use heavier line, usually no less than 14 lb. i like the bass pro carbon too, i have fished some others but the xps was my favorite, and its cheaper.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I've only used Berkley Vanish flourocarbon so far. I find it much more sensitive than mono. It's tougher. Less stretch, so you get better hooksets.

I had different behavior with things like crankbait depth compared to mono. It has different thickness than mono for the same pound test and it doesn't absorb water. It sinks faster. You'll get more depth with Vanish than mono on the same pound test with crankbaits.

I use 8 lb. on spinning reels a lot. It works well. I've used 10 lb. a few times on spinning tackle. It works better on larger spools. It does loop and twist a little more than mono.

No problems on any lb. test on casting reels.

Just like any other fishing tool - match the tool to the job. Vanish is a good tool for many jobs.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Florocarbon Line is aa great tool for ceertain situations. As with all lines it does have its drawbacks.

Another popular method for the line is crankbaits. The line sinks so your baits will run just that little extra depth. Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world.

I did a Pro's Pointers on different lines, but I cannot find it on the site. Due to the site migration I think it has been lost...lol

Zona are you fishing FLW's this year? If so good luck on the Big O.

Mini

1 - 5 of 5 Posts