Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed alot of the bigger name pro's have started to choose BASS over FLW? Examples: VanDam, Yelas, Klein, Swindle, Hite, Brauer, etc. There seems to be a trend that would indicate to me that one circuit is going to be a true pro circuit soon, and the other will be just a marketing tool with a bunch of no name guys running those team boats. It would seem to me that some of the bigger names don't like where FLW has taken the sport. Forget cash, it looks like organizational structure is important to them too. OK, now your educated opinion...

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Educated? Me? lol....

Anyway, I do like the fact that BASS "seems" to have more people looking to it. The Elite50's are a good part of that. Everyone of the Pro's would rather be fishing for someone elses money rather than their own with the no entry fee format. That is a true Pro circuit.

Lets just hope that ESPN doesnt screw it all up first....lol

FLW has and always will have a STRONG following, but it seems with all the money they are pulling in from sponsors they should be giving back MORE to the anglers. Thst have done alot of good for the sport. Competition is always good.

I cant pick a clear leader as of yet, but I would have to lean to BASS for their longevity and "status" in the industry.

Mini

·
Registered
33 Posts
Reply to: " bunch of no name guys running those team boats"

Do you feel that is a very educated statement to use for some pretty darn good fishermen? I guess I would have phrased it differently..........

·
Registered
882 Posts
I still see big name anglers fishing both circuits.
Look where alot of the big names finished in Florida.
You are going to have new names in Bass fishing. New heros and even better fishermen than before.
That is what makes the sport grow. I see Bass as a follower and the FLW as the wave of the future.
I have to give the edge to FLW.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(mark z @ Jan 31 2004, 05:06 PM)Reply to: " bunch of no name guys running those team boats"

Do you feel that is a very educated statement to use for some pretty darn good fishermen? I guess I would have phrased it differently..........

The ZMAN has spoken....

Now you two get along...your on the same Team ya know

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I think DRP was actually trolling for me! I think the entire board knows where I stand on B.A.S.S. vs FLW issue.

But to DRP's credit, he is right. There are more household names fishing B.A.S.S. It has always been that way. I'm not surprised that the trend has continued this year with the schedules. I don't think it is any secret that one of the reasons they have the schedule and rules they way they do is to force the bigger tournament guys to make a decision between the two. They may not say this publicly, but…..

But just one parting blow (of course), does more "household" names necessarily mean better fishermen? B.A.S.S. Elite 50 rules for qualification definitely cater to the "old guard". But I believe there has been more top young talent to come from the FLW ranks over the last 4-5 years. You know, guys like the Z-Man
. The no-names now are the future of bass fishing, outdoor hosts, etc. I hope B.A.S.S. realizes that Brauer, Nixon, Clunn, Klien, & Co. aren't going to be around forever.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm always looking to start something!! I knew my post would get you guys fired up. Ha ha.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This will get you even more agitated.....To get on the BASS Tour, you have to fish your way in, prove yourself worthy. To get on the FLW Tour, that is optional. If you can kiss their a$$ enough, they'll let you onto their so called 'Tour'. While you can still qualify through the Everstarts, I know for a fact that a lot of guys don't have to. Some of the team members I know personally never had to qualify, they just were given a spot. BASS makes you earn it. OK let me have it....

·
Registered
882 Posts
The reason I give FLW the edge in the industry is because of their marketing. We all know that marketing is the key. Hell isn't that the idea that Ray Scott had in the beginning?

You say to let you have it.
Ok.
Here.
Take it.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Jan 31 2004, 10:30 PM)This will get you even more agitated.....To get on the BASS Tour, you have to fish your way in, prove yourself worthy. To get on the FLW Tour, that is optional. If you can kiss their a$$ enough, they'll let you onto their so called 'Tour'. While you can still qualify through the Everstarts, I know for a fact that a lot of guys don't have to. Some of the team members I know personally never had to qualify, they just were given a spot. BASS makes you earn it. OK let me have it....
Your right. I won't disagree with that. But I don't think they have ever taken a spot away from someone that qualified through the ranks. I think it is more of a fact of having open spots after all the qualifications/cancellations. And you better believe they're going make a spot for a Van Dam (whenever he wants to fish a tournament) before they do me. B.A.S.S. is a tougher nut to crack, which is why you've seen a number of young guys come through the FLW.

I'm also not a fan of there "Ranger" policies. It should be about the quality of fisherman not what kind of boat you drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to be a major party pooper, but there are MANY fishing the "other" tour the were just "asked" to fish, due to having trouble filling the roster. I find it interesting that the FLW tour has a 250 man waiting list and BASS had to call in people to fill their season> And that is a fact..........

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
However.....to get those folks, they called down the qualifying lists from last years Tour and the Opens, and they couldn't have called down very far because I never got a call and was only 10 places out of qualifying. I don't think they just called people out of the blue to give them an opportunity just because they wanted in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Trust me when I say this. The only people that get hurt picking sides is us. I know that sounds strange but it's true. If you are a "purse" fisherman and you pick one over the other you will lose in the long run . If a big tournament goes to a lake you can wack them, YOU need to be fishing it-regardless of which side is hosting it.Holding a grudge will lose you MONEY......

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Bottom-line, competition is good. They both do things that can be improved upon and having both push them to change. My point all along about this B.A.S.S. vs FLW, is FLW has come in and forced B.A.S.S. to improve. That can not be denied. Now we are seeing B.A.S.S. change and FLW will counter. It is all in the betterment (is that a word?) for us. I hope they both succeed. More opportunity for us.

On a side note. Why has B.A.S.S. not released there open schedule. This is a huge problem. DRP, Mark Z, and those in the know, have you heard anything about the dates/lakes? Unofficial or otherwise?

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All I know is BASS should stop going to that sewer called the Potomac River. That place kills me every time. I heard that at least one Northern Open is going to be further west this year, possibly St.Clair, or as far west as the Mississippi. BASS will usually give out the dates first and the sites about a month later, but I called there last week, and they didn't even have that out yet.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think most of the "choices" that are being made by certain pro's revolves around their sponsorships and who they can and can't promote on stage. We all know the FLW's rules regarding that,..and BASS is a lot more liberal in that regard. (Which is GOOD in my opinion!!) They are deffinitely 2 very different tours and the sport NEEDS the competition and the different formats that each other brings to the table....most of the older more established "pro's" are deffinitely leaning towards BASS because of their loyalty and the fact that they got their start there.......but there's a LOT of BIG names still fishing the FLW's and they've alinged themselves with FLW sponsors and they're doing very well there. I think there's a lot of other "issues" that come into play too...such as scheduling, sponsor commitments and obligations, tournament lakes they want to fish,....etc..etc.. I didn't think very many guys who tried to fish both tours would do it for very long......that's WAAAYYY to demanding on themselves and their families....and when choices have to be made,..they're going to think back on who really helped them get their start...and where their loyalties lie..some guys will choose BASS...some will choose the FLW. I will say this though,...as far as a family setting and making things interesting for a crowd..the FLW's FunZones far and away blows BASS away.....there's a LOT more to do and see at an FLW event than a BASS event, and for families that are traveling with their "pro".....fighting boredom is probably a constant battle...IMHO. As far as the growth and continued interest in the sport goes,..we NEED both Tours....just to keep things interesting..LOL

Tight Lines,
Mac

1 - 18 of 18 Posts