Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home the other day from fly fishing the ausable north and south branch and im itchin to get out again soon and have fished paint creek in rochester around the opener rippin streamers so i figure its the closest place to home to get my fix. my question is does anyone know the hatch status around here? what would be some good dry flys to try in the evening on paint creek im lookin to tie some up this weekend to go out monday... I know you fly guys are out there I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I always fisshed dries when I went uo to the paint. Usually had my best luck with an adams. If you want info on stream conditions and whats hatching , there was an orvis shoppe in a shopping mall north of university and on squirrel road. If it's still open. there was also another fly shop on orion road somewhere. try a search for both. Sorry, that's about all I know. I spent most of my time on the ausable main stream

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks you. I remember there being an orvis right in down town rochester about 100 yards off main until they moved to the other location your talkin about, im pretty sure there still open so ill give em a call. thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
You may want to try a search with the local trout unlimited branch. they used to do some exstensive work on the paint. They also talked about kersley creek up towards lapeer. never tried there. All I know is I-69 crosses it

·
Vendor
539 Posts
I worked in the fly fishing industry in the Metro area for 8 years and here are a few places Id check.

http://www.coltonbay.com/ out of Ann Arbor will be a great source.

Also stop in the fly fishing section at Bass Pro. The manager in there, Jim, fishs drys and knows alot about Paint Creek.

As for the shop on Orion Road and the local Orvis shops Id try the above lsited places first. Hanks and Orvis go through employees so fast its hard to find anyone there thats very knowledgeable.

Also if theres no hatch going on dont forget about nymphs. For any activity on the surface theres 90% more feeding going on 24/7 below surface. hares ear, pheasant tails, prince nymphs,stone flies, caddis etc

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
99% of all fly shops i have been in can tell you the status of a hatch, Id call paint creek outfitters to see what they say. I am sure the guys in ann arbor are great, but paint creek is pretty far from ann arbor! Its ALOT easier for a shop on the river to tell you what kinda bugs are comin off the water.

·
Registered
223 Posts
paint creek outfitters - closed several years ago
Orvis at Walton and Adams - closed, is now a seafood restaurant
Orvis on Woodward in Birmingham is open
BPS has an OK fly dept.
There is a fly shop on the corner of Clarkston and Baldwin

Little Black Caddis
Parachute Adams
Hares Ear Nymph
work OK for me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.