Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to sound like a novice here, (because I am) but i was drifting on Saturday morning just outside of the mouth of the Salt River and saw a muskie surfing on the top of the water. I swear his head was out of the water and he was looking right at me as he was swimming by the back of the boat. Strangest thing I have ever seen. Is this a normal sight?
By the way I marked a ton of fish and was rewarded at the end of the day with a bunch of drowned worms.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
More than likely he was feeding on May Flys. They also like those little bugers. If you see a Muskie jumping several times they are cleaning their Gills after feeding. My Two Bucks worth. Let it Go Let it Grow. Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Break, that fish was funnin' you. Muskies have a great sense of humor and often engage in funnin' and punkin' the fishermen who chase 'em. I've heard that they also have an inbred jealousy of Flipper and try to convince humans that Flipper's got nuthin' on a St Clair musky. So they try to do that Flipper thing where they scoot around with half their torsos out of the water. Only muskies can't do it backwards on account of their tail fin orientation. So they do what you saw instead.

Wait until one of them cruises back to your boat with a crankbait across its snout and then flips the lure over your gunwale at you. Remember, Mama told you not to come. You chose to pursue these creatures. These fish go back a long way, a lot longer than Mr L-mouth or S-mouth, evolutionarily speaking. They didn't get there by their good looks. Don't underestimate Mr or Ms Musky.

Who needs the Simpsons when we have LSC musky?!?

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I don't know how many times I've had ski's come right up to the boat for no apparent reason (not chasing a bait). They are fearless.

·
Registered
234 Posts
And who can say why they do that ... could it be that this predator in whom we invest human characteristics like fearlessness has ... another human characteristic like a sense of humor and curiosity?

Why can't they be funnin' us, Alex? Like the whitetail deer of my acquaintance who was accustomed to visit a neighbor's house cat in Luzerne, MI. Why would an animal whom we believe to be wary and furtive - human characteristics - do something as unpredictable to our way of thinking as visit a house cat?

Maybe there's more to these fish than our minds conceive ... maybe they run their heads up out of the water the way a child puts his head out the window of a moving car. Or maybe the way you peer through your UW camera into the fish's world ...

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I feel sometimes when I have a big Muskie follow and just lay there looking at the bait as I take it into the circle that they are saying to themselves what are you going to do if I hit that bait? I have had them lay under the boat for over 15 minutes as I am drifting and casting. You never know what a Muskie is going to do. Let it Go Let it Grow Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Amen, Bob. They are just fascinating. We're so lucky to be so close to so many of them.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I had one as big as the one czar posted our brother caught 78lb.+ Rise directly next to my boat the head came out of the water 3 feet from my face and that eye oh that eye looked right at me as to say hi. Can't exaggerate how big it really was. I look at my buddy he looked at me and it was as if we seen a ghost. We were by the Moon River Falls in the Georgian Bay. Than like a submarine it just sank. What a memory. Than another time we had 5 pike on a stringer tied to the boat and we watched at least a 60 incher come ever so slowly checking out the stringer of pike, one being 5lbs. Czar was there. We kept fliping our Mepps but he want the pike for sure. He hung around for 5 min. and than I'm sure with us going crazy in the boat all flipping for it, he just swam away ever so slowly.. We should of put a pike on a giant treble and tossed it out there, but thats after we caught or breath.

h2o<--true story

·
Registered
31 Posts
This thread is an EXCELLENT indication of what a bummer this site has become. The guy/lady that started this thread was looking for honest insight on what he/she saw out on LSC. It has become nothing but a bunch of insider BS. Is this a fishing tips site or a site for testing lame humor?

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
MichiganRocks: I don't see where I posted any humor or BS. More than likely the Muskie was feeding on the May Flies and I was not trying to be funny about them laying under the boat because it happens a lot. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
MichiganRocks, what the heck are you talking about this site is far from a bummer i think you should say your sorry for that slam. I bet no one agrees with what you said. Maybe your just tired.

h2o<--says my story is true

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow easy there MichiganRocks. This is by far the top fishing forum I have ever experienced and that is because the people that contribute to it are a class act second to none. The wealth of fishing knowledge and experience that is contributed here daily has been an asset to myself and many others. I for one can honestly say that I put more fish in the boat after having become a member of this forum and understand more about the habits and habitat of the many species of fish that populate our Great Lakes. As for the insider comment I have seen brand new people on this forum asking for help and receiving not only advice but people actually volunteering their time to show them the answer. I am no tournament fisherman and other than meeting Mini have met no other members of this board but all my questions have been answered by a multitude of fisherman with such depth that it covers questions I haven't even thought to ask. On the topic above that you are griping about I thought it was full of good information on musky behavior through these guys experiences. Bottomline you get what you contribute in this world and if you are not happy on this network count yourself lucky because there are hundreds of other ones you can move yourself over to. I for one will be a member til I die!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hey Michiganrocks ---- easy man loosen up a bit, the tips are cool but you need to relax and have a laugh...........its all about good times, not always busisnes...........go back to your roots a littlle bit.......

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Michiganrocks, I did get the answer to my question, this does seem to be a normal site it is just that I have never seen it before. A little fun along the way to learning is a plus to me. I appreciate the stories that the big guns keep relating on their experiences.

Life is short - let's have some fun while we can.

Henry Mello

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey Michiganrocks,
Ease up, All the people on this site are here to help. They have given me great tips and I have learned alot!
HAVE FUN, YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE MAY GO DOWN!

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(MichiganRocks @ Jun 22 2004, 11:01 PM)This thread is an EXCELLENT indication of what a bummer this site has become. The guy/lady that started this thread was looking for honest insight on what he/she saw out on LSC. It has become nothing but a bunch of insider BS. Is this a fishing tips site or a site for testing lame humor?
Thanks for your post......where's your report????

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Thanks breakaway, you know what i mean. And the rest of the supporters post.

Alex can i go lol
LOL

h2o<-- says this forum rocks

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
QUOTE(MichiganRocks @ Jun 22 2004, 10:01 PM)This thread is an EXCELLENT indication of what a bummer this site has become. The guy/lady that started this thread was looking for honest insight on what he/she saw out on LSC. It has become nothing but a bunch of insider BS. Is this a fishing tips site or a site for testing lame humor?
Wow: Chill out dude - I suppose you want GPS coordinates. Just for the record. Caught two (2) nice fish today based on some info I gleamed from this site. One was the weather (H2o) and the other was a spot that Bob (muskiebobsr) had mentioned the other day. I think it was valuable info. I like the humor. One of my best days was spent listening to fishing stories from Bob out on my boat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts