Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just jumped on here on my way to bed. Haven't read any posts since Friday afternoon. Talked to some peeps yesterday and today by cell. <_<

Planned on heading to the Moot to see all the crazies today. Plans suk! Boat sux! Never left dock. Missed peeps! Stupid boat! Lousey-a$$ summer!

Anyone know how to deal with water in the drive oil/gear lube system? Single outdrive, taking water into the system. Found out when I noticed the container was only half-full and while topping it off, noticed that the driveoil/gear lube reservoir has the tell-tale milky/brown sludge at the bottom of the container. Running fine, but obviously have a seal/gasket problem. Any chance of alleviating the problem without pulling her out fo the water??!! (fingers crossed - yeah right!!)

I read somewhere that it's (obviously) a sign of water getting into the oil/lube system of the lower unit. I just totally drained and re-filled the whole drive oil/gear lube system in October. there should be NO water in there. Sooooo, how the hell do I deal with this, since this is a boat that I don't normally trailer (but can if I HAVE to).???

G

·
Sounds like you may need the drive re-sealed, which they would have to do out of the water. I know that fishing line around the propshaft can tear up the seals there and let water in. I'd get it checked out sooner rather than later so that nothing has a chance of rusting inside. Hopefully it's not anything major, but it still sucks to miss a day...

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
First Deuce losing an engine and now this?! You two should get together with Instigator and CBJ and start a support group.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jul 13 2003, 10:56 PM)Sounds like you may need the drive re-sealed, which they would have to do out of the water. I know that fishing line around the propshaft can tear up the seals there and let water in. I'd get it checked out sooner rather than later so that nothing has a chance of rusting inside. Hopefully it's not anything major, but it still sucks to miss a day...
That's unfortunately what we've heard from pretty much everyone today. Pull her out; re-seal all seals and gaskets (since you can never know exactly which ones are at fault). This isn't something I can do on my own. Gonna call the local guy, unless anyone can suggest someone (take LSCN references seriously) from the board or a close reference.

Boats!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
QUOTE(Snowmaker @ Jul 13 2003, 09:58 PM)First Deuce losing an engine and now this?! You two should get together with Instigator and CBJ and start a support group.

Sorry, i know this situation is not at all funny but Snowpuffs comment was

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
sounds like a seal fix it now befoe things really get screwed up seals are cheeper than gears. It might be as simple as the o ring around the fill or vent plug. Hopefully you will be back in the water soon.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jul 14 2003, 08:06 AM)"Looks like you blew a seal..."
"Just fix the damn thing and leave my personal life out of it"

Who said that? George Carlin?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Jul 14 2003, 08:14 AM)I think it was Kip Adotta(sp?). A bit called "Wet Dream" with a ton of fish puns...
Oh yeah. I forgot about that song.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Well it was a great weekend for the party and a bad one for the boats.....Duece boat....your boat and now Patriot just called me and said he had to get a tow in from MMS. Something blew in one of his motors.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 14 2003, 09:05 AM)Well it was a great weekend for the party and a bad one for the boats.....Duece boat....your boat and now Patriot just called me and said he had to get a tow in from MMS. Something blew in one of his motors.
No way! That sucks

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
Campari if you guys want to hook up and the boat is not ready call me. We would be happy to have you and your family on board.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
had same problem with boat before older one had to pull out of water, and have rebuilt cause i waited to long and let it go , but on the good side insurance paid for it i told them i hit something in the water this is what mechanic said to say , and they took care of it , minus deductable. and i had old prop in garage so showed them that too it was bent so they replaced that too , , this was aaa insurance. try calling ins co they should cover haul out and everything.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 14 2003, 08:05 AM)Well it was a great weekend for the party and a bad one for the boats.....Duece boat....your boat and now Patriot just called me and said he had to get a tow in from MMS. Something blew in one of his motors.
That sucks...why a tow? couldn't drive in with the other motor?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(fatcat660 @ Jul 14 2003, 11:26 AM)Campari if you guys want to hook up and the boat is not ready call me. We would be happy to have you and your family on board.

Thanks Mark! Hopefully it won't come to that but it's nice to know we have that option. Still contemplating Friday the 25th. We'd like to come down there if the invite's still open. Obviously though it depends on what happens with the boat.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Jul 14 2003, 12:47 PM)QUOTE(rerun @ Jul 14 2003, 08:05 AM) Well it was a great weekend for the party and a bad one for the boats.....Duece boat....your boat and now Patriot just called me and said he had to get a tow in from MMS. Something blew in one of his motors.
That sucks...why a tow? couldn't drive in with the other motor?
I was not on board so I'm not sure why he did that. I asked him and he said he didn't know what was wrong and didn't want to mess anything else up..things were looking pretty bad under the hatch with a lot of stuff everywhere......I do know that he sure is wishing he bought the $59 unlimited towing.....bill came to $150 for the tow.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
campari the offer for the 25th is still open bro. Dont even worry about the 8th if your boat is not working you got a place for you and the wife on mine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts