Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the site and have a question,I originally posted this in the tournament forum and received an answer from jcheetam and he suggested I bring my question here...I was fishing in northern Mi. during this past week on a very clear lake,we were dock fishing (early-late morning)all we got were follow ups or bumps,I varied my retrieves but still would only get the follows(My son and myself want to fish a open tourney on this lake in late August any help you can advise will be appriciated)
In case any one has fished this lake maybe you could give me a more specific answer,Long Lake in the Hale area.(I have only fished this lake 2 times in the past,besides this past week and do not feel I learned a whole lot about it) Thanks in advance

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Go with lighter line I recommend 4lb. (1lb. diameter which is key) smoke colored fireline. This line is so under rated. It's so strong you'll be amazed. Also down size. And change colors. I highly suggest you use a 1/8 oz. round jig un-painted, tied direct. Married with a 2-3 in. berkley power grub as they follow this lure they smell it. And fish smell so much better than humans. Colors to first try would be white, chartruse, and pearl and white, and shad. Slow down your retrieve as much as possible at the last 30 feet. This will work and hope you get back with me on your success. Using the 2in grub you might switch to the 1/16 oz. round head jig. Start with the 3in. white!!!! Enjoy you got the formula now.

h2o

·
Registered
927 Posts
i fish long lake every year. it can be a very hard lake to be consistant on. the best advice i can give you is to work the humps and islands with tubes and jerkbaits.

for tubes, the colors that work best for me are sand and erie green. most of the bigger smallmouth are deep this time of year on long lake. so dont be afraid to work those tubes down in 20 feet or deeper.

for jerkbaits i use smithwick rogues. best color for me has been gold with blk back and arange belly. work that sucker as fast as you can and then pause it.

im not guaranteeing anything, but these lures work for me. good luck.

madman himself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts