Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Young, studious Grasshoppa,
A puzzle for your enquiring young mind.

You are travelling down the road of life. You come to a fork in the road. One path leads to all that is good...happiness, success, love etc.

The other path leads to eternal damnation, sorrow, blah blah blah

There is a house at the fork, and in the house lives 2 brothers...one ALWAYS tells the truth, the other ALWAYS lies.
One brother answers the door, and you DO NOT know which one he is.
You may ask 1 question only to determine which path you should take.

What question do you ask??? Explain your answer

Good luck, grasshoppa.

I am NINJA....scintillating tittillator of the brain

·
AKA: Veronique
1,218 Posts
I think if you asked him what his brother would say it would reveal the truth. ie if you asked him "What would your brother say if I asked him if road A leads to happiness?" If this were the case then the brother who tells the truth would say no because that's what his brother would say. If you asked the lying brother he would also say no because he would know that his brother would say yes but he would then lie about it.

hahaha you had me coming up with all kinds of crazy stuff...asking him loaded questions, asking him whether or not the sky was blue or anything I already know the answer to to test him (which wouldn't work if I only have one question) I actually got out a pen and paper and tried to figure this out with math! I kept trying to come up with a single question that would get my answer and test him at the same time but that requires more than one detail of information about the roads themselves.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're on the right track...but your answer is wrong.

What if you asked that question and the answer was "yes"???

Think harder, grasshoppa

·
1,218 Posts
Q: "What would your brother say if I asked him if road A leads to happiness?"

If the answer is yes and you asked the truth teller he would say no because that is what his brother would say.

If the answer is yes and you asked the liar he would say no because his brother would say yes and he's a liar.

If the answer is no the truth teller would say yes because his brother would say yes.

If the answer is no the liar would also say yes because his brother would say no and he's a liar.

So in both cases if the answer is true then you will get a response of no and if the answer is false then you will get a response of yes.

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So in conclusion, if the answer is "no", which way do you go?

If the answer is "yes"?

·
1,218 Posts
If you ask the brother whether road A leads to happiness and the brother says no then you follow road A
If the brother says yes then you follow road B

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EXACTLY!!!

When I said earlier that your "answer" was wrong, I meant that your "explanantion" was incomplete.

Very well done, grasshoppa.
You will soon graduate to Locust!!!

Now here is an easy one for you.
I assume you are a Patriotic U.S. citizen....so....

Do they have a 4th of July in England?

·
1,218 Posts
sure they do, they just don't celebrate it as independence day!

·
1,218 Posts
You may have heard this one before - If anyone knows the answer do not post it!

What is greater than the universe? More powerful than god? The rich need it, the poor have it, and if you eat it you will die?

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nothing

nice try, but for questioning the
NINJA'S
intelligence, you receive 3 demerits....you are now back to a Phase 2 Grasshoppa.

·
1,218 Posts

Oh yeah?? Well...

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop???

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
None....the mighty
NINJA
crushes it with his thumb and eats the crumbs.

If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody is around, does it make a noise?

·
1,218 Posts
If sound is defined as a vibratory disturbance then yes

If sound is defined as being "capable of being heard" then ... well... it's still yes because it's CAPABLE of being heard

If it's defined as "A sensation stimulated in the organs of hearing by such a disturbance" then no

Dictionaries have defined it as all three but I personally believe that it does no matter how you define it.

·
1,218 Posts
so there!

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
If nobody is there, it's not capable of being heard.

Technically speaking, it doesn't make a sound....but it does make a noise.

I am NINJA...see me, hear me, touch me, feel me

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Ken Neeley @ Apr 11 2004, 03:12 PM)but for questioning the
NINJA'S
intelligence, you receive 3 demerits....you are now back to a Phase 2 Grasshoppa.

I studied Uchia (hard soft) martial arts. Sifu Brown, My instructor did the same if he was questioned by a student. ("Sifu" means a student further along the path than I)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts