Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that it is over what did everyone think of the show? I personally thought it was the worst show ever. I was there at noon on friday and was home by 2 pm. There were hardly any vendors and I actually didn`t purchase a thing. The best part was chatting to Musky Bob at his booth. He said that the show in Grand Blanc lured away alot of the vendors that were there last year. Kind of cutting each others throats having 2 shows at the same time. I think next year I`ll go to the Lansing show as I heard it is alot better. After dropping a bundle over the winter I`m itching to get out. Won`t be long now.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
..I got two phone calls over the weekend too and they both said,.."Don't waste the gas driving down here,..this place is DEAD!"......

Remember the old Bassarama's at the Silverdome 10-15yrs ago?? Now THAT was a show!!!
We could walk out of there with grocery bags full of stuff.....AWESOME deals...man are those days gone forever!! LOL

Mac

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Gun and knife show at Gibralter trade center, home show at the silverdome, golf show at Novi, and the show at Ford Field. Too many shows.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Been to so many fishing shows and i think they cut there own throats by not having enough good deals. Seems like it's old stuff for top dollar. I remember when Dunham's had there grab box and gave a free prize to there customers, that was cool. Also if they concentrate on catering to the customer more they will draw a better crowd. My advice for next years vendors is to work on a better deal like 2 for 1, ect. It's the same old thing and the cost of a ticket and parking doesn't help. So offer something someone else doesn't and lets get the show on the road for next year.

h2o stopped going a few years ago. It's been the same to long.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I think booth space prices are TOO high!! The Vendor's CAN'T give deals like they use too...
We need shows at places like VFW Halls and school auditoriums and places that can be rent for cheap!! That's the way the old Bassarama was at the old Waterford High School years ago...the vendor's didn't pay squat for booth space and the savings were passed along!!..

But you're right too H2o....too many shows now..and they're all on top of each other!!..
Even the Palace show use to Rock!! That's pretty much gone too...

Mac

·
Registered
467 Posts
The best part of the show, for me, was meeting some of the folks on this board (muskiebobsr, djkimmel, gterrien, FRL). There were a couple deals down there, but you had to look pretty hard to find them.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I enjoyed the show quite a bit, but I mainly went to watch the seminars. I actually came down twice. Found Kim Strickers and Wayne (DJ Kimmel) seminars very informative. Have lots of new ideas to try this year.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Mac @ Mar 8 2004, 08:45 AM)That's the way the old Bassarama was at the old Waterford High School years ago...the vendor's didn't pay squat for booth space and the savings were passed along!!..
OMG... I remember the Bassarama now. Once you mentioned Waterford HS. Does this mean I'm getting old like you too???

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
The seminars are definately super!!!!! You can pick up one tip or trick and it could make all the difference in you having a excellent fishing season are not.

h2o<--- Eric your right on that for sure.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The one thing that really sticks in my mind was the looks on the folks' faces when muskiebobsr told them he liked to use mono without leaders because he caught more fish..."What pound test?" someone asked..."17lb", he replied. I think the guy in the audience was waiting for the punch line until he realized Bob was serious! Oh that, and what I think is an all time classic statement (also made by Bob)..."It ain't braggin' if it's fact, right?"...Priceless...I took a couple pictures of Bob doing his seminar with my picture phone, I'll post them up here if they turned out ok...

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
QUOTE(Alex @ Mar 8 2004, 10:20 AM)QUOTE(Mac @ Mar 8 2004, 08:45 AM) That's the way the old Bassarama was at the old Waterford High School years ago...the vendor's didn't pay squat for booth space and the savings were passed along!!..
OMG... I remember the Bassarama now. Once you mentioned Waterford HS. Does this mean I'm getting old like you too???

Alex,.....We're not old,...yet!!!...We were just 15 yrs younger back then!!..LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Mar 8 2004, 09:46 AM)I enjoyed the show quite a bit, but I mainly went to watch the seminars. I actually came down twice. Found Kim Strickers and Wayne (DJ Kimmel) seminars very informative. Have lots of new ideas to try this year.
None of which will work for you!

On a serious note, I thought the fishing show was pretty good. I do wish however that there were more tackle booths. The seminar that I watched
Wayne (DJ Kimmel) was very informative.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
AHHH........the bass-a-ramma @ the waterford location yep I remember the good old days myself, I think John Sellings (Pontiac Lake) had a short beard then....lol
I can remember buying bags of stuff and also a few bags of great reading material also.... gees times changing quick....
As far as the shows now ,BORING !!! It`s just something to due durring the winter....I think the Palace of Alburn Hills "had" the best show for tackel. And as far as the quest speekers I think the shows are a conflict with the start of their new seasons.
Back 15 years ago.......sitting thru Al linder,Babe winkelman seminars, Kim Stricker,KVD and who ever won the Bassmasters Classic for that year...The good old days...i think it was Rick Klunn or George Shaw at the show I`m thinking of.
but that was back in 19bg?
(before G.P.S).......

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh the days at the old Bassarama at the Cresent Lake community center, everybody was there. Oops, my wife just said get over it those days are gone!
Rep groups don't want to spend the big money to be at shows that don't draw enough people.
Whether the Birch Run show was going on or not those people are'nt coming to Detriot for a show.
Two Detroit shows 3 weeks apart not a good idea. About as close as your gonna get to a Bassarama type event now is Bass Pro Shops spring event on a year that all the reps are there.
It will be interesting to see how many boat shows there are after Novi expands.
Oh yeah, before I forget, tackle swap meet at Jan's Sport Shop on May 1 plus there might be a few vendors there as well.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I'm glad some of you got some value out of the seminars. It wasn't as much fun doing seminars with a bad cold or whatever I caught just before the show, but it was still better than being at work. I'm trying to get over this virus as soon as I can because the next seminar is this Thursday at 6:30pm at the Lansing Center fishing show and I want to do a better job with a clear mind. I like to talk about fishing.

It was great to meet a lot of LSC.net people at the show, so it was worth it for me just for that. That's a good enough excuse for me to get together in one place in the spring.

We did pretty good at the Combat Fishing/Xtreme Bass Tackle booth even though the crowds did seem light at times. The new tube colors for this year really sold well. We could barely keep up with the demand for the Firetiger and Great Lakes Craw - both good looking colors. I can't wait to try them this year.

I always enjoy talking to anglers who just want to get ideas on how to catch more and bigger bass too. We had some really good questions on a lot of different topics.

I spent a little time at the D&R Sports area on Sunday talking to people about fishing boats. Many anglers were interested in the larger and deeper aluminum fishing boats.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Bass Pro Shops show is good. If you don't mind a two hour drive to K'zoo, the D & R Sports show in April is a good one with several top pros, including KVD.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
If after the BPS show, and the Lansing show, and the BASS university, and the Grand Rapids show, you haven't had enough, there's still the D&R show with some great seminars by top anglers. Lots of fishing industry reps too in the store.

I'll have to get my final fix there since I'm working booths at the other Showspan shows and can't make the BPS show. You can find out more on the D&R show if you're interested here. Hope to see you there.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Me too Dan. I'm working the Lansing show. I have two seminars myself. Then I'm off to Pittsburgh for the Muskie Expo. Busy time for this old guy. I think Show Span should go back to the Silverdome. People just won't come downtown after dark. I really wanred to do a seminar at BPS this Saturday but they didn't get back to me in time. Maybe I can do some by the Fish tank at BPS with Tom working the lures. Have a great show everyone an see ya on the water SOON. Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Hey Dan I wanted to come to your seminar next Thursday but i just checked out the list and I'm on at the same time over on Stage "A". Are you talking at any other time??? Let me know as my wife is going to the show with me and I might be able to sneak over and listen for a few minutes. Bob

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Bob,
I thought you were on Stage A on Friday at 6:30pm while we are on Thursday at that time.

We have 4 seminars on stage A:
Thursday 6:30pm
Friday 8:00pm
Saturday 6:30pm
Sunday 11:00am

I don't believe I'm doing all of them, but at least 2, maybe 3. I'll post as soon as I know.

Bob, if you do come, I hope I can make things worth it for a living legend. I can feel the pressure already...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts