Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Lake St. Clair boating so please bear with me on this subject. We are interested in watching the fireworks from the water . Now this is the question, how crazy is it on the water that night and where is a good place to launch from? I know some places have limited hours get on and especially off the lake. So any insight would be helpful.

TIA!

David

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Newbie to the forum but have been to the Freedom Festival twice now. It is only crazy when the grand finale starts and everyone is in a race to get out of the river. Both times I went I anchored on the south east tip of Belle Isle, which is kinda on the border of where all the boats are and closer to the lake when leaving. Just kept a slow pace till I hit the lake and then everyone kinda spreads out and your fine. I did have a couple idiots crossin my path a little too close but nothin serious. By the way, radar is useless. It just looks like a million blips!
If ya don't wanna head into the river you could probably still get a good view from the mouth of the Detroit River. There really isn't any better place in my opinion to watch the fireworks. Having the city as a backdrop and watchin em is pretty cool. Can't help ya out on launch sites.

G

·
Dave-

This is one of my favorite events of the season. I have gone two years so far and have had a great time every year. The LSCN raft is getting bigger every year too. We always raft/anchor on the south west side of Belle Isle. It's any where from 5'-8' of water and we never have any other boat wake issues. We always stay till like midnight partying. 1. Because it's fun 2. Because of all the boat traffic. It's fun anyway to watch the parade of boats scuddle out of there. What a great time it is.
Come join the LSCN raft this year. Should be a great time again. I'm sure you'll catch me/someone talking about it when it's get closer to the day.

As far as launches go? Harley Ensign is the best. I leave my vehicle/trailer there practically all weekend, every weekend. Hardly ever have a problem waiting to launch. Except for when the fishing tournaments are going on and that is only a couple times a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
HMM might join you this year. I was afraid to go but wanted to allways . some of the stories ive heard about it being really choppy and people crashing in to each other kept me from doing it.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
Way to document it Bill, I was there last year and it was a blast.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounds like it is great fun and getting even more geeked as the boating season nears. This would be an exciting evening, especially we would be in a 23ft bow rider for the evening (at least it has a head). I'll be watching the forum for more discussions at the time grows nearer.

By the way it the Harley Ensign launch open late to accommodate the return from the display?

Thanks for all of the great information!

David

G

·
You can launch as late as 11pm. And you can pull out at any time of the night for there is an electric gate you pull up to and it auto-opens for you to exit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We went last year- first time. It's not as bad as everyone told us it would be. If you hang out until all the crazies buzz past you, you have a decent ride back.

We had a great time, and are looking forward to doing it again this year!

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
The INSTIGATOR plans to be in attendence this year!

I've been going down almost every year since the early 80's. There is no better FIREWORKS experience!

·
Premium Member
21,452 Posts
I've been a couple times and the shows were great, but three years ago the trip to and from was awful. Had a lot of boats riding way to close to us on the way in, one guy was so close to our back end, i could practically touch his bow rail if i was standing on my swim platform
and then you have to be careful of all the idiots who don't turn their navigation lights on during the ride home.

Definitely something you want to see sitting in the river. Just be careful.......stay and party with the LSCNer's, avoid the rush!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
DDD,

I went for the first time last year but only to the mouth of the Detroit River. I only have a 22ft boat and it was fine, a little rough on the way down but fine on the way back.

This year I will probably be with the LSCN group. You won't find a better group of people to watch this event with.

cotty

·
12,052 Posts
I did it years ago in my 37' offshore. We actually slayed at a marina and sat on top of a hill to watch. When we pulled out into the river it started pouring rain.
All the way home. Wettest I've ever been in my life. With all the crazies I vowed to never do it again. Maybe now with much better electronics I'd think about it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Last year was our first time out there as we too were concerned about the stories we heard. It was great. We got there around 7:30pm, anchored off the s/w tip of Belle ISle near the anchorage zone. I swam over to the LSCN raft for a beer and then back to our boat, had a good meal on board watching the sun set behind the city and then the show. Afterwards, we waited around till 11:30pm and left with nearly no boat traffic and smooth waters. If fact it was so nice, we had to stop in the lake for a bit of late night skinny dipping.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts