Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get a chance to post that much, especially lately.
My wife, Jackie and I had a baby girl in Nov.
This brings me to my problem.
Me being a Southern boy, I wasn't totally aware of the seriousness of winterizing my boat. Not that I wasn't going to, I just thought I would have enough time to do it later. During the time I needed to winterize, was the exact time my wife was in and out of the hospital with her pregnancy and other complications.
When I finally got to the boat I seen that I had blown what they call a freeze plug. It just so happened to be behind the motor mount too (It's an I/O).
Three questions:
1- Do I have to pull the drive unit to get the motor up in order to replace the plug?
2- What are the chances that I cracked the block?
3- What is the best method to test the block for cracks?

I would like to do the work myself, a marina will charge me an arm and a leg (maybe two legs). Any help or constructive suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks

G

·
One way to check would be to replace the plugs (I have no idea how that's done) and run the engine on the hose. If your oil looks like chocolate milk, you've got problems. Cracked block, blown gasket(s), something that's letting water into your oil.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you didn't do any winterizing chances are real real good that the engine and probably the outdrive are messed up. If you got lucky the freeze plug poped & save the block from cracking, but probably not. I'd find a mechanic that could give an honest accurate diagnosis of the situation. You might also want to check you insurance policy to see if anything would be covered. You may get a deal from a mechanic who may be slow at this time of year.
Jerry

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
This happened to me last year.

1) Check the surrounding area for cracks
2) You can pop the plug in using a large screw driver and hammer
3) Tap it in until it locks into place
4) Observe for a milky liquid like Bill272 state

You may be lucky and the block will be saved.

·
12,052 Posts
Actually you will have to 'press' the new plug in. A large socket and hammer will work. If its behind the motor mount your screwed. They do make rubber freeze plugs with a bolt in the middle. You tighten the bolt with the plug in place and it expands the plug to seal off. Be sure to sand the rust and dirt out of the old hole. This will at least allow you to test the rest of the block. Any autoparts store should have them, just tell them small block or big block, bla,bla,bla. If you have to lift the engine you will have to remove the drive. Its pretty simple, just six nuts on the back and two hydraulic cylinders and slide it out. The shifter has to be in forward before removing the drive. You will have to disconnect the shift cable while sliding it back. One possibility is if you have a lot of room in front of the motor you do not have to remove the drive. I removed a 454 out a one of my boats with bravo drives while in the water. Just slid it forward and then up. The splined shaft from the drive has to clear the coupler and bell housing and your done.

Congratulations on the baby. I dont see the old gang much anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.