Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we are not used to using the fresh water on the boat- ie to make coffee wash baby bottles and such

I made a pot of coffee this past weekend it it tasted funny is there any trick on treating the system I don't know about??

I did let the water run thru and all the pink pop is out but just thought I would ask.....

thanks in advance

Stacie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,469 Posts
Depending on the size of your tank, pour some bleach in there and let it sit for a few hours and then completly rinse it out again. We use aquatabs and they seem to be alright but we don't really drink the water either.
 
G

·
Drink the water from a tank that had anti-freeze in it? Or even bleach.

Not for me my friend!!!


Doesn't sound good to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(Convincor @ May 14 2004, 07:52 AM)Drink the water from a tank that had anti-freeze in it? Or even bleach.

Not for me my friend!!!


Doesn't sound good to me.

ive actually read bleech too to use to clean out id be leary though . has to be something more safe..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,143 Posts
Bleech will work to kill any bacteria residing in the tank. Then Flush thourghly.

I would advise not using the water to drink from or washing baby bottles that would be reused. Now I have used the water from our tank to rinse my toothbrush after use and have never had a problem. Showers, normal dish/hand washing is ok. But for a baby, I would be concerned some bacteria could cause a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Here is some info you may find interesting:

Fresh water system problems--foul odor or taste--are typically caused by allowing water to stagnate in the tank and especially the lines, creating the ideal environment for molds, fungi and bacteria that thrive in damp dark places. Here's the recommended method for recommissioning fresh water systems; this should be done at least annually:

Fill the water tank with a solution of 1 cup (8 oz) of household bleach per 10 gallon tank capacity. Turn on every faucet on the boat (including a deck wash if you have one), and allow the water to run until what's coming out smells strongly of bleach. Turn off the faucets, but leave the system pressurized so the solution remains in the lines.

Let stand overnight-- at least 8 hours--but NO LONGER THAN 24 hours. Drain through every faucet on the boat (and if you haven't done this in a while, it's a good idea to remove any diffusion screens from the faucets, 'cuz what's likely to come out will clog them). Fill the tank again with fresh water only, drain again through every faucet on the boat, repeating till the water runs clean and smells and tastes clean.

Cleaning out the tank addresses only the least of the problem...most of the problem occurs in the lines, so it's very important to leave the system pressurized while the bleach solution is in the tank to keep the solution in the lines too.

People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated
city water in the tank for years. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach in a few gallons of water before putting it into either a stainless or aluminum tank.

To keep the water system cleaner longer, use your fresh water...keep water flowing through system. The molds, fungi, and bacteria only start to grow in hoses that aren't being used. Before filling the tank each time, always let the dock water run for at least 15 minutes first...the same critters that like the lines on your boat LOVE the dock supply line and your hose that sit in the warm sun, and you don't want to transfer water that's been sitting in the dock supply line to your boat's system. So let the water run long enough to flush out all the water that's been standing in them so that what goes into your boat is coming straight from the water main.

Finally, while the molds, fungi and bacteria in onboard water systems here in the US may not be pleasant, we're dealing only with aesthetics...water purity isn't an issue here--or in most developed nations...the water supply has already been purified (unless you're using well-water).

Source: SeaRoom.com
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top