Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Well I got my first top water muskie yesterday on a top raider. My second cast out and this nice 37iner took it right in front of me about 15 feet from the boat. The best part of the day was Marinehabitats fish he hooked up. About 30 min later he gets a hit on a top raider but this one looks bigger from the start. It hit right after hitting the water and the fight was on. When he got her to the boat but she was staying down deep and refused to come up. She was just out of reach. I looked at my net which is 36"x38" and this muskie was an easy 50 fish because she was making it look small. After 8 more violent head shakes she threw the hook right next to the boat. We were bummed but that is the closest we have come to getting a 50 in the boat and at least Marinehabitats got a good fight out of her. We had to cut the trip short so exploring was cut short. I will be out again to try and get that 50 soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
nice job alex, that 50+ will come soon enough. thats awesome though, you damn near had her.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Topwater for musky has got to be the most exciting thing I can think of in fresh water. Honestly I would take a 45" musky on topwater anyday over a 50" on subsurface. Just think about a 4lb bass hitting on the surface and then a 25-35lb musky crashing the surafce and coming completely out of the water. Topraiders and jackpots were the best. Alot of people get discouraged due to seeing fish strike or swirl behind a topwater, but I am certain the same thing happens below surface, we just dont see it as much. Also mistake I made years ago was only using topwater on calm days. As long as its not whitecaping its just as productive. And one thing on St Clair that hardly anyone takes advantage of is topwater at NIGHT!!!!! Just crank in and and wait to hear the CRASH. Great job on those fish. Sounds like the big ones are showing up early at Grassy this year.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Great job, Tarzan, er I mean Alex.
. You`ll get that 50 soon.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Man thats rough....but keep at it! I've had 3 at 45" and can't get that 50" to bite yet.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Nice fish.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Lots of fun right? Just so it wasn't at my Island. That 50 is reserved for my clients.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(muskie_caster @ Jul 11 2009, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Topwater for musky has got to be the most exciting thing I can think of in fresh water. Honestly I would take a 45" musky on topwater anyday over a 50" on subsurface. Just think about a 4lb bass hitting on the surface and then a 25-35lb musky crashing the surafce and coming completely out of the water. Topraiders and jackpots were the best. Alot of people get discouraged due to seeing fish strike or swirl behind a topwater, but I am certain the same thing happens below surface, we just dont see it as much. Also mistake I made years ago was only using topwater on calm days. As long as its not whitecaping its just as productive. And one thing on St Clair that hardly anyone takes advantage of is topwater at NIGHT!!!!! Just crank in and and wait to hear the CRASH. Great job on those fish. Sounds like the big ones are showing up early at Grassy this year.

I agree that I never had confidence in top water I have to thank Schram for that. Last year I saw schram get a top water hit on one of our trips and it was a sight to see. I know the 37iner I got was cool because it did not jump but I saw it take the lure. The 50" marinehabitats hooked up was a sight to see. I really want to try night fishing I will need to get a couple of ppl to go out for an entire night of muskie casting. I am sure we could land some nice fish at night. Thanks for the tip Steve I will have to go night fishing soon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thats awesome man I know I still need to buy a top raider.........I cant wait to get a top water hit from a muskie. Gives me chills just thinking about it! Good job again.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(bassproat19 @ Jul 11 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats awesome man I know I still need to buy a top raider.........I cant wait to get a top water hit from a muskie. Gives me chills just thinking about it! Good job again.

As muskie caster said earlier about getting swirls on the surface when they miss I had one of those a couple of weeks ago but still it got my heart racing to see that. I had one hit last year but I missed it because I was not watching the lure. I am still not sure what it was but it was big from the splash. Scared the crap out of me. Always keep and eye on the lure with top water.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Now you guys are really starting to piss me off out there hahahahahaha.....top water is my favorite and I'm stuck planning and rehersing
....can't wait for Sept. GOOD JOB G!! The 50's are getting away constantly on casters it seems. That will just make it all the more sweet when you get her head first in the net

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jul 11 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lots of fun right? Just so it wasn't at my Island. That 50 is reserved for my clients.

If yer talking Brunner Island, and just a wee bit south of there, I raised that fish Friday. Bob that is the biggest Musky I've been that close to and I know it was 50+. I had her right next to the boat and she was as long as the storage hatch! Followed a black and gold erie dearie.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts