Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the south half of the lake today, US waters, with heimskr and did pretty good. Caught some fish in 6 fow and some in 12 fow, but 10 fow was best. Fished swimbaits and ended up with about 20 smallies and 2 largies. No world records today - the 5 biggest were 14#. Water was as clear as it gets.

·
Registered
739 Posts
5 fish 14 lbs is usually in the money in small club tournaments (10 boats or less). Nice job!! Post some pics if you took any.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No pics today. Sorry!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Congrats guys. Out on Wednesday, Dave and I picked up a few in 15 FOW near 9 Mile Tower, and saw some in 4-7 FOW in the same area going through the weeds. Had a few small ones with some rockies mixed in as well. Kurt, when do they generally move into their "deep" summer time pattern when you can find them in 15-17 FOW? Is that later in July and August?, or do they start to move in there now? I know it's been a weird year with cooler temperatures and such, but I thought maybe you would know best. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 4 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm kinda thinking the flies are holding them in there shallower.

i agree on that my fish finders been lighting up out there, alot of fish hanging around waiting for the nights hatch

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(CaptDoug @ Jul 4 2009, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm kinda thinking the flies are holding them in there shallower.

That could be. Could also be why they wanted the small swimbaits we were throwing and retrieving about 3 feet down over 10 fow. Had no bites on tubes and only a few small fish on dropshots.

Storm, in some of the areas I fish on the Canadian side, I will (hopefully) start finding nice fish in 16-18 fow next week.

July 10 was the date of the FLW last year and the top finisher was fishing no shallower than 15 fow all week to the best of my knowledge. I believe that Vic was even deeper finishing in 2nd.

Every year is a little different for exact locations, but overall patterns do exist for the movements IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts