Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of yous go threw this? ( GIVE ME A CALL ,Ill help Ya ) HA HA HA ...I called bother ,friends hay ,getting boat ready..( DO YOU WANT TO HELP AND HAVE A FEW ) NOPE NO HELP...Putting in tommrow got more help then I need (LOL) This year doing diffrent ,( BRING BEER AND GAS MONEY)..Ill take you out ......
MORE BEER

G

·
As long as they DO bring beer and gas money when it's time to go out!!!!
Most importantly.....gas money.

I don't mind doing the boat prep alone. But, they gotta pay in the end.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You know, I end up with zero help getting my boat ready this year, everyone end up really busy. I think a lot of beer is going to be owed to me.....and gas for my to sucking pigs in the back.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
I sent out an invitation to a Boat Cleaning/Prep party to some of my biggest free loaders for last Saturday. Some didn't reply, some did with lame excuses (mostly golfing), one even said that they would be available Sunday for sure in an attempt to get out of it but I turned it on him saying that I would be doing it Sunday also, of course, this friend never showed up.

I no longer and calling these people to go out and do things on the boat. I will make different boat friends, and regardless, I got the wifey to keep me company on the boat. If they call me, I may invite them, or I might say the boats too crowded with others, where were you when I was sanding, painting, washing, rubbing out, waxing, outfitting, bringing equipment down to the dock?

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
I labelled myself as "Boat Whore"

But I help my cousin paint the bottom, wax, help with some repairs, clean it, cjange zincs...etc.

And Bring Beer!

Forget it....I'm not cheap(hense Boat whore)

·
Registered
46 Posts
looks like i got luckey! had a small army armed and ready to help with getten it ready. must be cuz its new to em all. lol they didnt know what they were in for

·
Registered
179 Posts
This used to bother me alot, but I've learned to not worry about it. As long as they contribute when they go out, you can't really expect much more. I don't ask my friends to come over and help rake the yard and cut the grass if I'm gonna have a bbq, so I leave it up to them if they want to help with the spring prep. I've been getting alot more help since I've stopped asking for it too!

·
Registered
213 Posts
What bothers me most are people who come up and ask "Why don't you invite me out on your boat sometime ?" Sometimes I'll reply "Why would I want to screw up a perfectly good day on the lake ?"

ed

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(budcouch @ Apr 30 2003, 10:03 AM)This used to bother me alot, but I've learned to not worry about it. As long as they contribute when they go out, you can't really expect much more. I don't ask my friends to come over and help rake the yard and cut the grass if I'm gonna have a bbq, so I leave it up to them if they want to help with the spring prep. I've been getting alot more help since I've stopped asking for it too!

I agree to a point. The people I asked to help are the ones that are on the boat almost weekly. If they were my yard every weekend I'd have them cut the lawn.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(interceptor @ Apr 30 2003, 10:58 AM)What bothers me most are people who come up and ask "Why don't you invite me out on your boat sometime ?" Sometimes I'll reply "Why would I want to screw up a perfectly good day on the lake ?"

ed
That's a good one. I get asked all the time "Why don't you take me out for a boat ride?" Well when you cruise at 28mph to try and run efficient and when you leave the marina and don't come back for a couple days, there are no rides. They are journies. I wanted someone to make me a couple window pass stickers for the marina for friends and they said "sure but you owe me a boat ride" guess what? Those stickers aren't worth a fricken' hundred bucks. The minimum I'd spend on gas. Keep 'em and stay out of the marina. I've been polishing and waxing for three weeks now and will again this weekend. By myself. Well, when its done and looks great, I can take all the credit.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It wasnt so bad ,getting It ready by myself.Seeing old friends and making new ones.Just as long Im near the place I Love .WHO CARES MY GAIN THERE LOST....

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Not a cruising/power reader typically, but the "friends" topic brought out my curiosity...

I used to own a boat, and did have help cleaning and maintaining it---but not by the friends who I took out on it... Honestly, you don't buy a boat for others to take care of. You own it and it's your responsibility all the way around--as an old friend said, "I'll be out on the water regardless, spending the same amount of time/money, etc...". Personally, I never expected other people to take care of it, but I did expect gas money and people to bring what they want to drink and eat... now being a person on other people's boats, I ALWAYS bring gas money and beer. And have offered to help clean and get ready boats... the typical response is thanks, but I got it. I don't understand how people can mooch their way out there (unless it's a couple relationship) but if somebody said "clean my boat or stay off my boat" I'd be like, your call, see ya on the water.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
You guys are on the same page that I'm on.

Over the years, I've take all sorts of people out on my boat. I find that there's 2 kinds: There are those who you see their eyes light up and see that they truly love being on the water, and those who it's 'aint nothin' but a party' when their your on your boat. I only invite those that I think are the former. They bring the libations and are the 1st to open their wallets at the gas pump. We're a Rare breed. Welcome on my boat anytime!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Ah yes, the one time of the year I'm glad I downsized, after building the house...

To tell you the truth though, I never expect anyone to help me clean or service my boat. It's my boat, my responsibility and If I do the work on it, I know exactly what has been done and what has not.

What I get upset about is when people don't show up on time or want to dictate what time we'll leave ("well I can go, but only if we wait till 3 and are in by 5") "Stay Home!", don't bring their own drinks or eats, are exceptionally messy (dropping chips, peanuts, lettuce or tomatoes off of sammiches, spilling beer or soda, etc..) and then don't clean up after themselves, or want to go home after only a couple hours on the water. I've promptley made mental notes, made sure these people are aware of my displeasure and have neglected to call them for invites in the future.

I've gotten responses like, "If you're gonna get stressed out about it, it's not worth owning..." My response is, "If you're gonna stress me out you're not worth having on board!"

I can have fun by myself or in a crowd. Treat my boat the way you would want me to treat yours and respect all the time and money I have invested into my boat and your welcome to come along, but if I invite you don't assume I've invited you and 10 of your closests friends!

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(TheWiz @ May 5 2003, 03:06 PM)What I get upset about is when people don't show up on time or want to dictate what time we'll leave ("well I can go, but only if we wait till 3 and are in by 5") "Stay Home!", don't bring their own drinks or eats, are exceptionally messy (dropping chips, peanuts, lettuce or tomatoes off of sammiches, spilling beer or soda, etc..) and then don't clean up after themselves, or want to go home after only a couple hours on the water. I've promptley made mental notes, made sure these people are aware of my displeasure and have neglected to call them for invites in the future.

I've gotten responses like, "If you're gonna get stressed out about it, it's not worth owning..." My response is, "If you're gonna stress me out you're not worth having on board!"

I can have fun by myself or in a crowd. Treat my boat the way you would want me to treat yours and respect all the time and money I have invested into my boat and your welcome to come along, but if I invite you don't assume I've invited you and 10 of your closests friends!
I love it!!!
Good one Wiz.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I hear you guys with the friends that say they will help, but don't. I just quit asking and I do it myself. Besides, when you do it yourself, you get a better job anyways.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ May 6 2003, 12:27 PM)I hear you guys with the friends that say they will help, but don't. I just quit asking and I do it myself. Besides, when you do it yourself, you get a better job anyways.
always

1 - 19 of 19 Posts