Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been so busy with the durn post bars and jack's and stuff that just yesterday i discovered what the heck was making the fruit flies i griped about a couple weeks ago:
a stoopid bag of potatoes rotting in my lower cuppord! gosh! i feel like an unclean dork! i was killing em as they came up, but now...heh heh heh--i feel like their grim reaper!

now if only the apartment complex would totally exterminate the yellow jackets on my balcany! grrr!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(pauligan @ Sep 9 2003, 03:21 PM)every time I see that dancing nanner I smile!!!
So does he.

G

·
Ok, here's what I don't like about fruit flies. I don't have fruit flies just sitting in the house waiting for the apples to go bad, but when they do go bad, it's fruit fly city. Therefore the flies must come from the fruit and the way to avoid them is to eat them with the fruit before they hatch...

On a side note, I have a cousin who has his Phd in genetics and they use fruit flies for a lot of genetic experiments. They pop them with a little radiation and see how they mutate and stuff like that, and they used them because they're cheaper than mice and don't bite. We went down to Cleveland to visit him at school many years ago and he took us to "The Fly Room" which had a bunch of plexiglass boxes with this sugary goo in the bottom and a buttload of flies. It was the size of a big closet and he estimated the population of the room to be several million. That was one place where you wouldn't want to walk in with an old peach, let me assure you.

Remember - time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Sep 9 2003, 02:45 PM)Ok, here's what I don't like about fruit flies. I don't have fruit flies just sitting in the house waiting for the apples to go bad, but when they do go bad, it's fruit fly city. Therefore the flies must come from the fruit and the way to avoid them is to eat them with the fruit before they hatch...

On a side note, I have a cousin who has his Phd in genetics and they use fruit flies for a lot of genetic experiments. They pop them with a little radiation and see how they mutate and stuff like that, and they used them because they're cheaper than mice and don't bite. We went down to Cleveland to visit him at school many years ago and he took us to "The Fly Room" which had a bunch of plexiglass boxes with this sugary goo in the bottom and a buttload of flies. It was the size of a big closet and he estimated the population of the room to be several million. That was one place where you wouldn't want to walk in with an old peach, let me assure you.

Remember - time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana...

·
Registered
184 Posts
The only thing worse than fruit flies are those little flies that hang out in restrooms. Where do THEY come from?

·
LSCN Sponsor
6,427 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Sep 9 2003, 03:13 PM)i have been so busy with the durn post bars and jack's and stuff that just yesterday i discovered what the heck was making the fruit flies i griped about a couple weeks ago:
a stoopid bag of potatoes rotting in my lower cuppord! gosh! i feel like an unclean dork! i was killing em as they came up, but now...heh heh heh--i feel like their grim reaper!

now if only the apartment complex would totally exterminate the yellow jackets on my balcany! grrr!
I get the fruit flies from my returnable bin, now explain THAT one to me!

We've been OVERWHELMED with those damn hornets this year!!
Due to Robyn's FREAKISH FEAR of stinging insects, I've tried MANY different remedies.
The REALLY EXPENSIVE exterminator service did almost nothing.
The little plastic traps that you put juice & stuff in worked great!
When you can locate the nest(s), the hornet spray from RAID works WONDERS!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
The BEES, The BEES! They are nasty this year. We've got a nest behind the siding near our front door.
The actual nest is impossible to reach with spray (we've used whole cans of the shtuff).
Late one night, we decided to duct tape over the cracks they were coming out of. -- sounded like a good idea at the time
The buggers ATE through the tape.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUGS SUCK!!!
blah!

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(surfergirlck @ Sep 9 2003, 06:56 PM)BUGS SUCK!!!
blah!

So do vacuums!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Saleena & I had lunch together last week. We were sitting outside & one of those yellow bees was flying around me.. Saleena just smiled. Then it started bugging HER! She was not smiling anymore.

Then we watched the bees chase a woman in the parking lot. We laughed our butts off. She was screaming & running (it wasn't Robyn) ..her friend was screaming for her to get in the car. We were smug in the knowledge that at least we didn't run around screaming at the top of our lungs.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
bees are bad this year,seems like yesterday was at a friends house and a damm bee flew up my shorts ..
stung me on the leg man that smarted.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
They are yellow jackets and are always bad at the end of the summer.........It's like they are desperate for food.....You can't even enjoy a meal outside at this time w/o them swarming you <_<

Oh...yeah....Garbage night here and skunks are in full force, too. <_<

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
Here CK. This is for you:

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0...5E13762,00.html

Scientists engineer gay fruit flies

RESEARCHERS have genetically modified fruit flies to change sexual preferences when the temperature rises, and back again when things cool off, a study to be published today says.

The researchers introduced a mutant gene that is sensitive to temperature into the midst of the fruit fly's neurons. The gene plays a role in the secretions of a chemical transmitter.

"The mutant gene disrupted nerve-to-nerve communications specifically in those neurons when male flies were moved to warm temperatures. The flies suddenly began courting other males, said Dr. Toshihiro Kitamoto, of the division of Neurosciences at City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute who led the study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The allele of the "shibire" gene was modified to be sensitive to temperature and to disrupt synaptic transmissions between neurons.

At temperatures above 30 degrees Centigrade (86 degrees Fahrenheit), the modified male fruit flies lost interest in females and turned their attention to other males and responded in kind to the advances of other males, the study said.

Once placed in a cooler environment, the flies returned to their previous sexual behaviour.

The results show that relations between males are suppressed by the action of neurons whose role could be to detect or to interpret the signals of anti-aphrodisiac hormones, said Kitamoto.

The neurons affected by the mutant gene include nerves sensitive to taste, located in the head and legs. The role of these neurons could be to halt the attraction between male fruit flies by detecting or interpreting aphrodisiac pheromones produced by other males.

The authors differentiated their study from previous research on flies whose nervous systems contained an anomaly that had caused irreversible homosexual behavior.

"The male-male courtship reported here is distinctive in that it can be turned on or off at different temperatures and is therefore not a consequence of abnormal development," Kitamoto said.

The fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster, is one of the organisms most-studied by geneticists. Its genes allow for certain parallels with the human organism.

The fruit fly's genome was decoded in 2000, with the sequencing of 13,600 genes.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Those Damn bees are horrible this year. We were trying to get my wedding pictures taken outside and those pesky guys kept flying aroung us... needless to say the photographer was getting alittle perturb'd ;-)
I did hear the other day, not sure if it is true or not, but a lot of bees like we have this year, means we are in for a nasty winter... true or not?? Only time will tell-
Pauline, your hubby gave me the information ;-)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You know, we get those fruit flys at work, we think they are coming from the plants. Is is possible?

Another note, BEES BEES BEES, they are everywhere. I had to fight 4 of them the other day to get into my mailbox. We also had to have the house sprayed for them since there were so many wasp's around. That seemed to work....should have had them spray the darn mailbox!

Remember Manana II....Bumpers. We were trying to enjoy a drink or 2 and we couldn't cuz of all the bees flying around. Had to keep the menus around so we could swat them!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts