Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have inboards engines, My Question...Are the Fuel/water seperators the same thing as a fuel filter? or are they 2 different filters? It was suggested I change them as one engine starts but as soon as i try to get up on plane the port side stalls. (Yes i have fuel in both tanks) Thanks for any input. As you may tell by my question I am no mechanic...

(2) 220 Hp Crusader Engines.

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
i think they are the same, but you can buy a fuel filter that does not seperate water.... most marine type fuel filters are also water seperators where as a standard car gas filter might not have that capacity to seperate water.....

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You should have both a water seperator and a sperate filter. The water seperator is just to filter out water and the fuel filter is for debris. Once the boal on the seperator is full of water it will bypass, once a paper fuel filter gets wet it will usually let a engine idle but will not work under load. This is most likely what has happened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say change your fuel filters and see if it runs better. There are a couple different types of filters. if the filter looks like a screw on oil filter it is probably a water seperator/ fuel filter. If the filter is a small cartilage inside a metal can, it is only a fuel filter.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If I'm not mistaken all boats that have inboard engines have both a water/fuel seperator and an inline fuel filter.. If you've never replaced your water/fuel seperator before I would recommend that be your first step.. But personally if it were me I would be replacing both the water/fuel seperator and the inline filter just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
you probably have 2 inlines filters, one by the carb and another farther down the line. if not you will have one. the fuel/water ones are similar in size to an oil filter.
, the regular fuel ones are small

1 - 7 of 7 Posts