Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know what all of you fellow boaters do?
Before you winterize your boat, do you fill the tank up or leave just a little in there?

You hear so many opinions and theories on this.
I always hear the one that you should fill it up so water(condensation) doesn't get in the tank over the winter.
I say, if you put the correct amount of stablizer in, you wont get condensation. Personally I think that if you put a full tank of gas in and your stabilizer doesn't do its job, your gas will go bad and your stuck with running a full tank of bad gas through your engine that could cause some damage.

Let me know what you do, think or know?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fill and stabilize. I don't completely top it off, because I've had the situation where during a warm up, the gas has expanded and it got forced out the vent.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

I agree with Bill272. Fill and stabilize. even at a 1/4 full tank with stabilizer, you are going to get condensation which will make your tank rust.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I agree withthe above two. I fill her up until she stops on her own from the bubbles, then add my stablizer. There is a bit of room for expansion, but not enough to flow out the vent.

Not to mention at the begining of the season it is nice to have a head start with 125 gallons of petro.

·
12,052 Posts
Here's a thought.....I don't fill the tanks (300 gallons) because I dont want the extra 2000+ pounds pushing on my hull while on blocks. In the water weight may be distributed more even. I do however put in a bunch with stabilizer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point Hammer, but.......

Almost all boats have aluminum tanks, so we don't have to worry about them rusting. And if you put the right amount of sta-bil you won't get water anyway.
That's just a theory I have heard and kinda makes sense, but all these are good points.
Keep em' coming!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Bill,

The tanks are usually stainless. They can get condensation in them as well, that is why they need to be over half full. As far as what hammer said about more weight and when there on blocks, I would think that it wouldn't make a difference because They block those boats at specific points on the hull, that are usually recommended by the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
7,443 Posts
I fill her up half way and add stabilizer.... my .02

·
Registered
353 Posts
1/4 tank and sta-bil, but I winter inside so am somewhat protected from condensation. I also think that the weight issue is relevant. I have talked to SeaRay about this their position was that there is no guarantee that a boat will be properly blocked, so it is best to reduce as much weight as possible.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Here's a "what if" scenario..............

What if, I put about 120 gallons of gas in my boat and cruise on over to the marina where she is gong to be stored. I tell the service manager that she is full and has 2 bottles of sta-bil on the counter top in the galley to use when they move her to the hoist and haul her out.

What if I return to check on the boat during the winter and find the 2 bottles of sta-bil still on the counter and moved around so I know they have been seen, but not used.

I'll ask the manager on tuesday when I go there if any was put in by his people (I doubt it but would love to be proved wrong) and if he says "NO" have I lost the fuel from sitting during the winter (she was hauled on 10/27)?

How can I, if I can, best clean any gumming or varnish build up? just in case.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
If they didnt put any in, I'll dump both bottles in on tuesday. Do I need to worry about what is sitting in the lines or the carb's? Or will it just blow through when we start her up in April? and the sta-bil in the tank will clean any build up?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Pyrate,
I would believe athat you will be ok, the boat may run a little odd until the fresh gas that you add starts to mix with the old gas. You shouldn't have a problem though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts