Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think way to much thought goes into moon cycle: I'm not trying to debate this but gosh the moon is full all the time. A full moon just has more light on it. I have had so many great days fishing on all days. I'd just like to see what you think. I think the moon effects fishing because of the pull on the earth causing tides. And that's in the oceans. My point is fishing can be great on any day thus full and new moons don't really matter. I don't think fish care about moon cycles, if there hungry there going to eat, if a meal happens to be by them ,gobble time. I just think to much is put into moon cycles and freshwater fishing. I use to have the moon cycle calendar on the wall look at it before going and saying it's near the full moon i should do good. And i didn't do that good. Than i went on a off cycle day and slamed them. All i'm trying to do is hear what you think, not debating the subject. Thanks in advance for your input.

h2o

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Check the world records and the biggest percentage was caught on the new or full moon cycle but local weather changes it. The barometer has more effect as far as I'm concerned. Bob

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
According to In-Fisherman research, 75% of all world record fish were caught 3 days prior of the full and new moon, the day of the full and new moon, and 3 days after the full and new moon. Will that stop me from fishing on any other day? No way. The moon cycles not only affect fish, they affect animals and humans too. However, H2o is right in saying that fish are opportunists and will eat when an easy meal is present. Good fishing to all.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Two of my 3 biggest tournament weights ever came on a full moon period (3 before and after) in September (not counting spawning bass off beds - which does seem to peak around a full moon also).

I've caught many extra large fish over the years around the full moon and sometimes the new moon. I used to fish a lake at night a lot and I could guarantee you 2 or 3 really big bass any summer full noon night between midnight and 2AM from a spot that I otherwise rarely caught any size of bass from.

The best time to go fishing is every chance you get, but if you get out on a prime moon period, especially a full moon on a clearer lake, hit your best areas hard.

·
Registered
927 Posts
i think vandam put it best when he said something along the lines of moon cycles and barometric pressure are important to the fish, but he rarely pays attention to them because if you get your mind set on the idea that when the pressure is falling then the fishing will be bad, you will not be as confident when fishing during these periods. and we all know how important confidence is when fishing. same goes for the moon cycle. if you pay too much attention to what the moon cycle is then on those off days your not going to fish like you would during the new and full moon cycles. it all comes down to confidence. if the barometric pressure or moon cycle is what you base your confidence on ( for best fishing days ) then you are cheating yourself.

this was good advice in my opinion, because i would constantly be checking the weather channel and looking at my moon cycle calander to see what was going on. if the day looked bad, i would fish accordingly. what i mean by that is i wouldnt expect to do well, therfore i wouldnt fish well.

since watching his video, and taking his advice, i fish differently. now i just let the fish tell me what they want and i am fishing with more confidence. especially on days that i would normally be discouraged.

this year has been one of my best, if not the best year of fishing i have had ( not counting tournaments
).
and i honestly feel it is because i am paying more attention to the fish and not letting other factors interfear(sp?)

this is just an opinion. im not saying that these two factors do not have an impact on the fish/fishing. im just saying that I choose to just fish, and not let the weather man or the man on the moon tell me whether or not im going to have a good day.

madman himself

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Madman: I agree so much the way you put that, EXCELLENT. The fish eat and if your there fishing you'll do good. Confidence in your ability to put the PACKAGE togeather makes for the success of the day. Good opinion!!!!!!!

h2o

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am with MuskieBob on this one; the barometer pressure plays more in the scenario on a day to day basis and impacts the fishing on a consistent basis.
I only pay attention to the moon phase when I am after fish that are making spawning runs out of lakes into the rivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts