Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to go out more often but I need a crew.
No experience needed
Fun only..... Racing next year
Anyone with experience to educate me in exchange for a ride?

Teenagers and above unless with a parent

PM me if you are interested

Taxman

Oh..... 26' S2 Grand Slam

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
You might consider joining North Star. We have a real informal Friday night race series. Beer can style. Lots of social activities too, including cruises.
gordon baglaj

·
Registered
696 Posts
Why wait til next year?

www.lakeshoresailclub.org has a fall series that races on Wed nights, and the summer series starts Aug 11, the last race is on Sep 15 (beer and pizza afterwards!)

And I can tell ya that rotating crew isn't going to help you a whole lot, the boats that do well in the races have a crew that has been together for a while and know each other well and what crew member does what job.

Typically you'd have a helmsman, a main sheet trimmer and 2 other crew running the genoa. If you are in a spinnaker fleet add to that a dedicated foredeck crewmember responsible for setting the spinnaker and pole and tacking the spinnaker.

You can run with less crew if needed but on a 26, 4 is a good number. A dedicated tactician is a bonus if they know what they're doing too!!

Here's some great links for reading material for you and your crew.

http://www.sailingworld.com/sw_experts.jsp...D=402&catID=596

http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/skills/racing_b...cs/index1.shtml

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/article...leid=bowenr0009

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
QUOTE(Lightfoot @ Jul 1 2004, 11:04 AM)You might consider joining North Star.
I've visited there a few times and a coworker is a long time member. Seems like a great club for everyone not just the rich salior type. Not to mention one of the top women sailors in the world came out of there jr sailing club.

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! Next windy day I'll put out an all points memo and away we go

·
LSCN Sponsor
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(Porta Party @ Jul 2 2004, 01:55 PM)Why wait til next year?

www.lakeshoresailclub.org has a fall series that races on Wed nights, and the summer series starts Aug 11, the last race is on Sep 15 (beer and pizza afterwards!)

And I can tell ya that rotating crew isn't going to help you a whole lot, the boats that do well in the races have a crew that has been together for a while and know each other well and what crew member does what job.

Typically you'd have a helmsman, a main sheet trimmer and 2 other crew running the genoa. If you are in a spinnaker fleet add to that a dedicated foredeck crewmember responsible for setting the spinnaker and pole and tacking the spinnaker.

You can run with less crew if needed but on a 26, 4 is a good number. A dedicated tactician is a bonus if they know what they're doing too!!

Here's some great links for reading material for you and your crew.

http://www.sailingworld.com/sw_experts.jsp...D=402&catID=596

http://www.uiowa.edu/~sail/skills/racing_b...cs/index1.shtml

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/article...leid=bowenr0009
people.... It's going to be hard to find a crew

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
What are the cost involed in crewing?

If it's on a weekday I'd consider crewing with you Joe....keep in mind I've only been on a sail boat once before.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Costs?? Usually none, just a lot of bruises if done properly!

A crew should be prepared to dedicate time other than race day to go practice, and practice and practice. learn the boat intimately, trimming a sheet is a matter of inches, not feet, learn what every aspect of sail trim does. Learn to read the wind, and the water.

The captain should read the racing rules and be prepared for all situations and be able to teach the crew every position on the boat.

It is a lot of fun to race, especially with a competitive fleet. Watch the other boats to see what they are doing, especially as they pull away from you LOL...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will love to help but my experience sailing is faily limited... just small catamaran and sunfish.

Call if still need crew. My cell is 248-459-9480.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Taxman,

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but I'd enjoy helping you take your boat out. A long time ago I started out as a blowboter, that's where I found my desire to be on the water. But I graduated to power many moons ago(yeah, I got seduced by the dark side, and now drive a stink pot for all you hard core raggers
). Just don't tell anyone. It'll ruin my go-fast reputation!

·
Registered
696 Posts
hey Taxman.........

How's the sailing going this season??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just joined your web page but would enjoy crewing.
Also if anyone wants to sail on my 16 cat for fun let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd love to try crewing a cat, just let me know and I'll be there! (with a wetsuit this time of year) Taxman, is your boat a S2 7.9? There is a one-design fleet on Anchor Bay for the fall series. I crewed on a friend's S2 for 2 seasons. It's a fast boat that is fun to race on. I'm no expert, but I did everything expect foredeck and helm/mainsail. (that's the owners job!) The NOODs, a national one-design racing circuit, has a S2 7.9 class in Detroit every year. Getting a regular crew committed can be tough, as it seems everyone has something going on. But compared to a golf league or hockey or softball, it's good cheap entertainment. And the average Joe can compete in international competiion right here on Lake St. Clair.

·
LSCN Sponsor
283 Posts
Joe,
Gimme a call (PM) sometime
i do alot of sailing, lots of experience, always willing to teach sailing again, can even help line up some crew for ya
Randy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts