Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12,052 Posts
Is the builder special 1" wide good enough? Merv 1 to 4

3" wide Merv 5 to 8 or so?

5" wide Merv 9 to 12?

or all out Merv 16 Hospital quality air?

Anyone have an untraviolet light in the air chamber to kill all mold spores?

Last house I had the 1" blue ones, never changed them enough. This house did a better one. Filters are considerably cheaper online than local I found, where do you get yours?

·
LSCN Sponsor
728 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 15 2009, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the builder special 1" wide good enough? Merv 1 to 4

3" wide Merv 5 to 8 or so?

5" wide Merv 9 to 12?

or all out Merv 16 Hospital quality air?

Anyone have an untraviolet light in the air chamber to kill all mold spores?

Last house I had the 1" blue ones, never changed them enough. This house did a better one. Filters are considerably cheaper online than local I found, where do you get yours?
I had the ultraviolet light. Could not really tell a diffrence.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
thanks for developing my paranoia, now i'll have too go home and find out. I bought a washable element for my lennox a couple years ago....do i clean it out once a month or two...uhh no....I figure the more pluggin it up the less that can get thru!
lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
As a heating guy, I tell people that unless you have allergies that require special filters, your better off using a less restrictive, less expensive filter. Just replace them regularly. The thicker the filter, the harder your blower is working to draw air... U.V. lights do what they say they do. Again though, if its not a necessity....But I'll be more than happy to service or install anything you would like!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
QUOTE(NOVA J @ Dec 16 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As a heating guy, I tell people that unless you have allergies that require special filters, your better off using a less restrictive, less expensive filter. Just replace them regularly. The thicker the filter, the harder your blower is working to draw air... U.V. lights do what they say they do. Again though, if its not a necessity....But I'll be more than happy to service or install anything you would like!

Yea, great point that often gets overlooked. Really fine filters also clog up quicker and likely need to be changed more often. Filters are rated in "filtration area" as well as MERV, and for the same area a higher MERV will clog quicker.

When they're clogged EVEN SLIGHTLY, they cost you MONEY. If it reduces flow through the furnace, you're not getting the heat out of the gas (or oil or electric elements) that you COULD be, so you're paying more for GAS, and the furnace FAN has to run HARDER and LONGER to make up for it, costing you more in electricity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts