Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Dear Fellow Hunters and Sportsmen:
I have recently discussed with State Rep. Sue Tabor (1-877-718-2267) and her Legislative Director, Deb Schueller, actions which can be undertaken at this time to generate legislative support for the Mourning Dove Bill (HB 5029), which was introduced on August 13, 2003. We decided that a telephone and e-mail campaign aimed at selected elected officials would be helpful. I have listed in the table below a number of officials who will have a roll in the fate of any Mourning Dove legislation. E-mail notes can be sent to these people by clicking on their addresses. By clicking on congress.org, in the bottom row, choosing the State link and inserting a ZIP code or address you can identify your local district Rep. and Senator. A note can also be sent to them from this website. I have included a sample e-mail letter, which I have sent to several officials. Would you please make your contacts and forward these documents to anyone whom you feel shares an affirmative position on dove hunting. It is important that all Michigan's hunters unite on this issue in order to negate the expected anti-hunting efforts of the Humane Society, PETA and Friends of the Animals. Such an alliance may also be needed to preserve our bow hunting and sport fishing privileges in the not too distance future.
Thanks for your assistance in this matter.
Chuck Riley, VP Ammann Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society
Name
Party/Dist
Position
Telephone

Rick Johnson
® 102
House Speaker
1-877-642-4102
[email protected]

Dianne Byrum
(D) 67
Minority Leader
1-517-373-0587
[email protected]

Ken Sikkema
® 28
Senate Majority
1-800-774-1174
[email protected]

Jennifer Granholm
(D)
Governor
1-517-373-3400
www.michigan.gov/gov

John Cherry Jr.
(D)
Lt. Governor
1-517-373-6800
[email protected]

Frank Accavitti Jr.
(D) 42
Conservation
1-866-277-7220
[email protected]

Ken Bradstreet
® 105
Conservation
1-877-536-4105
[email protected]

Barbara Farrah
(D) 13
Conservation
1-866-737-1313
[email protected]

Matthew Gillard
(D) 106
Conservation
1-866-6288-106
[email protected]

Matt Milosch
® 55
Conservation
1-866-345-2167
[email protected]

Neal Nitz
® 78
Conservation
1-888-373-0078
[email protected]

Randy Richardville
® 56
Conservation
1-800-655-7545
[email protected]

Sal Rocca
® 30
Conservation
1-517-373-7768
[email protected]

Dale Sheltrown
(D) 103
Conservation
1-888-347-8103
[email protected]

Write district Rep.
and Senator
http://congress.org
Quicklink: State
then enter ZIP code

Note: Telephone numbers beginning with 1-8xx are toll free and those with 1-517 are Lansing numbers

SAMPLE LETTER

Dear: Representative/Senator

As one of your constituents I am urging you to vote yes on HB 5029 and/or an associated Senate bill which enables a hunting season for Mourning Doves in Michigan. Past attempts to establish a dove-hunting season have been foiled by anti-hunting groups who contend that such a season will harm the state's dove population. In reality their efforts are designed to deny Michigan's hunters an opportunity enjoyed by those in 39 other states. A dove season will enable first-time game bird hunters to go afield near their homes, in early September, with the reasonable expectation of a successful hunt. This can be done with equipment and supplies purchased at any local sporting goods store for minimal expense. Permitting the hunting of doves will result in the much needed recruitment of young hunters, additional retail purchases of shotguns, ammunition, and hunting clothing as well as a substantial increase in the number small game licenses sold each year.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The Dove Bill (HB5029) has been passed by the House and is on it's way to the Senate. A large rally on the Capitol steps in Lansing helped to secure the vote. It's time to contact our state Senators and tell them to vote in favor of the Dove Bill. Call, write a letter or email, or meet with them face to face.
The last time this issue came up it was defeated in the Senate.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
DOVE BILL GOES TO SENATE APPROPRIATIONS
Controversial legislation that would legalize hunting mourning doves in Michigan has been referred to the Senate Appropriations Committee, whose chair, Sen. Shirley Johnson (R-Royal Oak) had on Tuesday introduced a resolution to name the mourning dove the state bird of peace.
The action referring HB 5029 to the committee came after Senate Majority Leader Ken Sikkema (R-Wyoming) said the Senate's focus first has to be on the state's budget.
Ms. Johnson concurred, saying, "We need to focus on the budget for awhile." Ms. Johnson voted against a similar bill in 2000.
But the bill going to her committee is not the kiss of death, she said. "We will take it up eventually."
The measure was referred to Appropriations in part because it includes a $350,000 appropriation for the Department of Natural Resources to publish a brochure on dove hunting.
Sen. Michelle McManus (R-Lake Leelanau), one of the strongest supporters of the dove hunting measure, was not perturbed by it going to Appropriations.
"I don't think it's dead," she said, adding she didn't yet know if there were enough votes in the Senate to pass the bill.
"We'll work on it in the future," she said. "There are a lot more significant issues right now."
Meanwhile, Rep. Jack Minore (D-Flint) blasted the addition of the $350,000 as worthy of the "Golden Fleece" awards that the late U.S. Sen. William Proxmire handed out for frivolous government spending.
"The Legislature wasted $350,000 to do an end-run on a referendum and avoid letting the voters decide whether want to allow the hunting of mourning doves. It was nothing less than a 'fowl trick' designed to thwart the will of the people," he said in a release.
And a comment made by rocker/hunter Ted Nugent at the rally supporting dove hunting drew the wrath of Sen. Irma Clark-Coleman (D-Detroit). Mr. Nugent's proclamation that he is "Rosa Parks with a 12-gauge" spurred Ms. Clark-Coleman to blast him for comparing himself "to an American hero who helped to lift an entire race of people out of the iron grip of segregation. Rosa Parks is a legend to millions of Americans who are committed to overcoming bigotry and building a color-blind society. Mr. Nugent is simply a legend in his own mind."

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I know this topic is old....I heard about this on the radio...

Have a question. What do you do with the doves? Eat them? Target practice? Hope this isn't a blonde question.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope this helps!

Here is a version of dove tacos. Hope it helps.

In making preparations for dove season, any good campfire chef should have a pocket full of recipes at the ready in case his or her hunting companions hit a few birds.
While grilled dove breasts wrapped in bacon or their fried cousins smothered in cream gravy are two popular preparation methods, the following recipe has worked for me on several occasions.
The recipe is adapted from a crackerjack bird pie creation I picked up during my travels to deep South Texas for some wonderful dove hunts.
I like to use the whole birds, although peeling the meat and skin from the legs takes a little more time than if you just use dove breasts. I think the taste is worth the effort.
Opening Day Dove Tacos
one limit doves, cleaned
6 cups cold water
2 tablespoons Chef Ralph 's Super Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 stick butter
1 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoons comino
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
Flour tortillas
Mix water, Super Seasoning and sage in a large stew pot. Add doves and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat and simmer about one hour or until birds are tender and the meat is falling off the bone. Remove meat from bones and set aside. Reserve about one cup of broth. Heat butter in a deep cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion, flour, comino, chili powder, broth and tomato sauce. Simmer about five minutes, stirring often. Mix in dove meat and simmer at least another 15 minutes. Serve warm in flour tortillas with fresh guacamole, chopped onions or shredded cheese.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Dove Bill: The vote on the bill to allow for Michigan's mourning dove season has been postponed until early January. We are still working on obtaining sufficient votes to ensure that HB 5029 will pass the Senate. While the vote is still not certain, one thing is very clear; it will not pass without the help of you and your friends! Here is what you need to do:

· If you reside in Oakland County in Groveland, Springfield and Brandon Townships please contact Senator Deb Cherry at 866-305-2126 (toll free)
· If you reside in Wayne, Romulus, Taylor, Allen Park, Melvindale, Lincoln Park Ecorse, Wyandotte, Riverview, or Southgate please contact Senator Ray Basham at 517-373-7800.
· If you reside in the Upper Peninsula please contact Senator Mike Prusi at 517-373-7840.
· If you reside in Calhoun or Jackson counties please contact Senator Mark Schauer at 517-373-2426.
· If you reside in the southeast corner of Kent County, Senator Bill Hardiman needs to hear from you. He can be reached at 866-305-2129 (toll-free).
Please inform the Senators' offices that you are a resident of their district and you want them to vote yes on the Dove Bill. Better yet, while they are home on Christmas break, visit them at their local office hours and tell them that as their constituent you want them to vote for the Dove Bill. All of these offices have indicated to us that they have not received many contacts regarding the Dove Bill. Your phone calls will make a difference!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance
Sportsmen Alert!

For information about the following message, please contact:
U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance
801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229
Phone: 614 888-4868 Fax: 614 888-0326
Email: [email protected] Website: www.ussportsmen.org

January 30, 2004
Michigan Dove Vote Set
Anti-hunters spreading propaganda to stop bill
As the battle to gain mourning dove hunting in Michigan comes down to the wire, anti-hunters are waging a war of words using lies and deceit to defeat the issue. The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and the Michigan Hunting Rights Campaign want sportsmen to know that their presence is needed at the State Capitol next week to support the dove bill.
The Senate Appropriations Committee will hear House Bill 5029, the dove hunting bill, on February 5 in Lansing beginning at 2:00 PM in room 324. Sportsmen are urged to don their hunter orange hats and fill the halls of the State Capitol. A significant sportsmen turnout is vital to demonstrate strong support for HB 5029 and the advancement of sportsmen's rights.
Anti-hunters have distributed a statement among state senators from an unknown source saying sportsmen have referred to Michigan legislators as "puppets" who are under their control.
Anti-hunting groups are also asking their supporters to hide anti-hunting views from their legislators.
In a communiqué to anti-hunting supporters, Michigan Humane Society's Eileen Liska stated "If you are totally anti-hunting, keep that view to yourself."
The anti's want legislators to believe that the sportsman's community is divided over dove hunting. They expect to use this trickery to fool Michigan senators.
"The Michigan Hunting Rights Campaign is a coalition of sportsmen who enjoy all types of hunting," said Rob Sexton, vice president of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, a founding member of the Michigan Hunting Rights Campaign. "From bear hunters to turkey hunters, bowhunters to trappers, Michigan sportsmen have united to back this bill. It is the anti-hunters, whose goal it is to end all hunting in the state, that want to see it fail."
Members of the Michigan Hunting Rights Campaign include the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, A L S Enterprises, Inc., Commemorative Bucks of Michigan, Huron Pointe Sportsmen's Association, Michigan Bear Hunters Association, Michigan Bow Hunters Association, Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners, Michigan Hunting Dog Federation, Michigan State Chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, Michigan State United Coonhunters Association, Michigan Trappers Association, National Rifle Association and the Professional Kennel Club, Inc. Michigan United Conservation Clubs and Safari Club International are also supporting the effort.
Take Action! Michigan sportsmen are urged to attend the Senate hearing on February 5 at the State Capitol. Be at the State Capitol by 11:00 AM wearing a hunter orange hat in support of HB 5029. Sportsmen who are unable to attend the meeting are urged to call their state senators today and ask for a "yes" vote on HB 5029. Explain to them that doves are America's most popular gamebird. Wildlife professionals in Michigan say that the state can support a hunting season. To find your senator and for contact information, use the Legislative Action Center at www.ussportsmen.org or go to www.michiganlegislature.org and click on the "Related Sites" link.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Gary, thanks for the update. I passed it along to a couple of other sites.
Any Gun Raffle tickets left? PM me. I might take a few more.
Terry

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(PWood @ Jan 31 2004, 07:42 AM)Gary, thanks for the update. I passed it along to a couple of other sites.
Any Gun Raffle tickets left? PM me. I might take a few more.
Terry
That is great Terry! Spread the word!

For the tickets I Can get them for you or you can get them direct. (I am out)

Bob and Marie Razek
27154 Lorraine Ave
Warren MI 48093

Or the easiest

Bob & Marie 586-755-7940

Just contact them and request the number of tickets. They will send them to you and just send them back.

Thanks Terry!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
The sportsmens alliance just contacted me over the weekend and informed me that Alan Sanborn is still on the fence with this issue. Sportsmen in his district need to contact him immediately to let him know how we feel! I'm not sure of his district number, I think it is Ray Township area. He is a supporter of hunting and gun rights so I really believe he will listen to reason and vote how his constutuents want him to. But he needs to hear from those constituents first. If you are in his district...

PLEASE CALL HIM!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(Top Gun @ Feb 3 2004, 09:19 AM)The sportsmens alliance just contacted me over the weekend and informed me that Alan Sanborn is still on the fence with this issue. Sportsmen in his district need to contact him immediately to let him know how we feel! I'm not sure of his district number, I think it is Ray Township area. He is a supporter of hunting and gun rights so I really believe he will listen to reason and vote how his constutuents want him to. But he needs to hear from those constituents first. If you are in his district...

PLEASE CALL HIM!!!!!!
Alan Sanborn

Alan's Web page

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee Senator
Shirley Johnson has cancelled the committee meeting that was scheduled for Thursday, 2-5-04 @ 2pm which was to take up HB5029 the dove bill.

A rescheduled date will be posted as soon as I get the info.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Dove Bill Clears Committee - Set for Senate Vote!
> > All right people, the good news is the dove bill just
> cleared the Senate
> > Judiciary Committee today. Now we stand staring into the
> eyes of the
> one
> > hurdle that ealier cost us the enjoyment of a dove season here in
> Michigan
> > by ONE SINGLE VOTE - the Michigan Senate! Let's not
> look back on this
> > issue "wishing" we had done just a little bit more to
> garner that one
> > critical vote. Just like last time, when you tally the
> "expected" NO
> votes
> > and the "expected" YES votes, it's an awfully close call.
> But there are
> > several senators that have not decided how to vote on
> this issue. They
> have
> > stated that they will listen to the people - the calls,
> the letters,
> etc.
> > They want to hear from YOU! We need ALL sportsmen to
> pull together and
> take
> > this historic opportunity to make their voices heard and
> improve our
> quality
> > of life here in Michigan. Contact info is included below.
> > LET'S LIGHT UP THE PHONE LINES IN LANSING LIKE NEVER BEFORE!!!
> > **********************************************************
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (March 30, 2004)
> > From the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance
> > Contact: Doug Jeanneret - (614) 888-4868 ext. 212
> > Beth Ruth - (614) 888-4868 ext. 214
> >
> > (Columbus) - A Senate committee today approved a bill to
> make Michigan
> the
> > 40th state to allow dove hunting. A Senate floor vote is
> imminent.
> > Sportsmen are urged to contact their senators in support
> of the bill
> today.
> >
> > The Senate Judiciary Committee passed House Bill 5029 by
> a vote of 4 to
> 3.
> > The bill authorizes the Michigan Department of Natural
> Resources to
> > establish a dove season. The bill was amended to allow
> the creation of
> a $2
> > dove stamp with fees being split equally between game and non-game
> funds.
> >
> > In November 2003, the House passed H.B. 5029, introduced
> by Rep. Susan
> Tabor
> > , R-Delta Township, by a vote of 64 to 44.
> >
> > "Michigan sportsmen responded to action alerts from the
> U.S. Sportsmen's
> > Alliance and its partners in the Michigan Hunting Rights
> Campaign and
> now we
> > are one step closer to a dove season," said Rob Sexton,
> U.S. Sportsmen's
> > Alliance vice president for government affairs. "Michigan
> senators must
> > continue to hear from sportsmen constituents so that when
> the floor vote
> is
> > taken, they know to vote yes on House Bill 5029."
> >
> > Michigan sportsmen should call their senators today and
> ask them to vote
> yes
> > on HB 5029. Remind them that doves are the nation's most popular
> gamebirds
> > and state wildlife experts support the season. Michigan
> sportsmen can
> find
> > their senators and get contact information by using the
> Legislative
> Action
> > Center at www.ussportsmen.org or going to
www.michiganlegislature.org
and
> clicking on the "Related Sites" link. Sportsmen may also call (517)
> 373-2400 and ask for their senator's office.
>
> This press release courtesy of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance and
> www.ussportsmen.org . For more information, contact The U.S.
Sportsmen's
> Alliance, 801 Kingsmill Parkway, Columbus, OH 43229. Phone: (614)
888-4868.
> E-Mail: [email protected] .
>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
> <><><><><><><>
> The SE Michigan Bowhunters Chapter of Safari Club International has
> established this e-mail network to mobilize large numbers of sportsmen
> whenever a quick response is needed to protect our rights. It is our
hopes
> that those in our network will forward the alerts on to other sportsmen
in
> their e-mail loop or network. We also use the network to periodically
keep
> sportsmen informed of items of interest. For your privacy, we list the
> addresses of those we send to under Blind Carbon Copy (Bcc) so as not to
> include their addresses to others as the messages are forwarded along.
> If you would like to be removed from our list, simply reply back stating
> your wishes with REMOVE in the Subject Line.
> For chapter membership information, simply reply back requesting
"Membership
> Information" in the Subject Line

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reason to celebrate!

Dear Follow Sportsmen and Women:

I sincerely apologize for the delay in getting this news out to you. It has been hectic around here to say the least. Great news * HB5029 passed the Senate yesterday!!! By a vote of 22 to 15, with 1 excused, the bill was passed by a majority of the Senate members voting as follows:

Yeas * 22
Allen, Barcia, Basham, Birkholz, Bishop, Brown, Cassis, Cherry, Cropsey, Garcia, George, Gilbert, Goschka, Hammerstrom, Kuipers, McManus, Patterson, Prusi, Sanborn, Sikkema, Stamas, Thomas.

Nays * 15
Bernero, Brater, Clark-Coleman, Clarke, Emerson, Hardiman, Jacobs, Jelinek, Johnson, Leland, Olshove, Schauer, Scott, Switalski, Van Woerkom.

Excused * 1
Toy

The Senate version, HB5029 (S-1), would amend Part 401 (Wildlife Conservation) of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to do the following:
* Include mourning doves in the definition of "game".
* Authorize the Natural Resources Commission to issue game-taking orders regarding mourning doves, and to establish the first open season for mourning doves.
* Require a mourning dove hunter to have a small game license and a $2 mourning dove stamp.
* Require revenue from the stamp to be split evenly between the Game and Fish Protection Fund and the Nongame Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund.

Because of changes to the bill (removal of the 350,000 appropriations and the requirements listed above), the House members will need to vote on the measure and concur with the Senate version. I have not been given a specific date yet; however, when the House takes up HB5029 (S-1), I am confident that it will pass.

There are many rumors circulating at this time about whether or not the Governor will sign the bill. The truth is, no one really knows for sure. Here's what I do know for sure - because of your activism and letting your voice be heard, the sportsmen and women of this state are what has made the difference so far. I believe it will continue to be so. The sportsmen and women of Michigan want and deserve a mourning dove hunt here in their own home state.

Governor Granholm needs to hear from you. I am encouraging all supporters to conclude this effort by asking the Governor to sign HB5029 (S-1). Messages can be sent to the Governor at P.O. Box 30013, Lansing, MI 48909. Phone: 517-373-3400, Fax: 517-335-6863

I especially want to thank the US Sportsmen's Alliance, the NRA, and the Mi Hunting Rights Campaign Coalition for their help in passing this legislation. I don't believe we could have made this happen without them.

Again, thank you so much for your activism and please pass this on to all of your friends and family who support dove hunting.

Sincerely,

Susan Tabor
State Representative
71st District

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congratulation team!

Governor Granholm has signed the dove bill! Thanks to all of your
support and letters, many sportsmen, women, and children will be able to
enjoy Dove hunting. We also want to thank Repersenative Tabor for all of