Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled into MacRays last night to fuel up as the guage was bouncing between "E" and the "1/8" mark. As far as I know, I have one large gas tank with no switch valve. Tank holds 124 gallons of which 118 is actual working gallons. Filled it to the rim with only 68 gallons. Since when does "E" on the guage mean I have approx. 1/2 tank left? I dont mind the guage showing less fuel than what I have (great safety cushion as long as it is not showing MORE gas than what I have) but off by nearly 60 gallons. That's a bit extreme.

Any suggestions on correcting this?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
What kind of sending unit do you have? I replaced my old float with a digital sender and you can set the empty and full readings and you'll never wonder again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It could also be electrically related. There could be a ground potential difference causing an error in the guage reading.

For example, when I turn on my blower switch, my port side gas tank reading drops about 1/8, as well as my oil and temp. When the switch is off, they go back to normal.

A good way to test this problem is turn things on and off to see what affects the guages. Some old boat designs do not have good grounding topologies and this is the result of that.

It may not be easy to fix, but at least you can track down the cause and learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(Milord @ Jun 21 2004, 11:23 AM)What kind of sending unit do you have? I replaced my old float with a digital sender and you can set the empty and full readings and you'll never wonder again.
What is involved in changing the float to a digital sending unit?
By going digital, do you also get away from the bouncing needle syndrome when in rough water?

I dont know what type of sending unit I have, whatever it is came with the boat and no instructions, and this is not the first time I have experienced this, just never this dramatic. But then again, I have never allowed it to get this low before either.

I have tried to test the electrical part and have found no difference in readings on the guage regardless of what I ahve turned on or off. Thanks for the suggestion though, I am looking at everything.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Jun 21 2004, 03:07 PM)[What is involved in changing the float to a digital sending unit?

ditto that question
i need a new sending unit right now. what did you have to do milford and how much was it??

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
What is involved in changing the float to a digital sending unit?

MILORD, oh MIFORD.
Where for art thou MILORD?

Please tell us more about switching over to a digital sending unit. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hey calling me MILFORD isn't going to hurry a response people!

Anyway, chaning the sending unit is quick and simple as long as you have easy access to your fuel tank(s). First find out if you can get to it. Secondly, find out how deep the tank is. Then order yourself the appropriate length sender http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.as...6&CategoryID=44

I'm sure other places have them too, that is where I got mine though. It will help with needle bounce but you will still get some as your fuel will still be sloshing around. You cut the sender to the required length, 3 screws hold it in place. It's about a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Every now and then I have that problem with my suv. <_<

I think that it's strange how it does it sometimes then goes back to normal for a while then acts up again.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking at the pics of the sending unit, it appears that it uses the same wiring system and possibly the same guage? Is that correct?

Looks like I may be checking it out this weekend and ordering on monday.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
Let us know how it goes, I have a (temporary) sending unit installed that was made for a 24" tank max in my 28" tank.

At least I error on the good side, but I would like to get a good permanent replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts