Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner

Gas prices

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Madmax 
#1 ·
I paid .35/gallon at Beacon Cove on Friday. Wait a minute, I must be dreaming!!!!!!!!

#3 ·
4 more weeks and hopefully ice will be gone and gas docks open. Damm iam almost afraid to guess what gas will be this summer there saying 2.00 a gallon on land by summer.

#7 ·
Hammer may remember (I'm sure it is a painful memory) but I think two seasons ago it was $2.79/gallon at MacRays which is usually one of the more reasonably priced gas docks on the lake. It definitely makes touching the throttle an expensive proposition!

#11 ·
QUOTE(Aggressortom @ Mar 11 2004, 01:08 PM)I may be broke this summer with higher gas prices, but I would rather be broke and be able to say I boated all summer.
I'm just gonna go with the flow.... you can't control it anyway....

What I DON'T want to do is start saying to myself "let's go to Strawberry for $12," ..... "going to anchor at Metro today for $16" ...... "let's do lunch today at Brown's for $24", etc. etc. etc.

If you start adding up the gas cost for every ride on the lake, it'll drive you crazy.

#12 ·
QUOTE(sidelite @ Mar 11 2004, 03:39 PM)What I DON'T want to do is start saying to myself "let's go to Strawberry for $12," ..... "going to anchor at Metro today for $16" ...... "let's do lunch today at Brown's for $24", etc. etc. etc.
goin' to Strawberry - $12.00

Goin' to Metro Beach - $16.00

Goin' to lunch at Brown's - $24.00

Goin' out on the lake with the rest of your friends while the landlubbers of the world eat dust and sizzle -

PRICELESS!!

#13 ·
QUOTE(BoatChic @ Mar 9 2004, 10:03 AM)I'm guessing $2.50/gal. Memorial Wknd. at the gas docks.
Good thing i'm not fueling hammer's boat

Thanks a lot Stacy. Nothing like making a guy feel better.

I DON'T buy gas from Mac Ray's. Its regular, not mid grade and they buy from the cheapest broker. So I've been told.

I like a nice trip to the north channel, there's the good prices. We'll keep this gas price forum current this summer as usual, so look here.

#14 ·
QUOTE(hammer @ Mar 21 2004, 08:31 PM)QUOTE(BoatChic @ Mar 9 2004, 10:03 AM) I'm guessing $2.50/gal. Memorial Wknd. at the gas docks.
Good thing i'm not fueling hammer's boat

Thanks a lot Stacy. Nothing like making a guy feel better.

I like a nice trip to the north channel, there's the good prices. We'll keep this gas price forum current this summer as usual, so look here.
Sassy Marina has good gas prices, last year i filled up with Premium for less than Mid-grade was at BCM.

*However they were out of Mid. that day.

Hammer

#15 ·
Decker's is usually pretty cheap too. And that place next door to them forgot the name... You'd think deckers would be higher being where they are located, having to have it brought in and delivered. And the places on 9 mile would be cheaper cause its easy access for delivery. Either way what ever it is No matter how much we bitch were still at there mercy and it probably wont change anyone's cruising habits.

If i get boat back this weekend think ill start waxing.

#17 ·
Captstevo says...... "gas is the smallest expense of owning a powerboat!"

Yeah Steve, I keep telling myself that too!!!!!! I tracked my boat ownership costs last season and I "only" spent $5200 (CASH!!) on fuel for 120 hours of running time between 5-1 and 10-1-03. I don't even want to know what I spent on food & drink and docking fees for the season.

That $5,200 is in FACT the smallest portion of my costs when looking at 1) payment/insurance, 2) summer/winter docking/storage, and 3) fuel & maintenance.

But the good memories far exceed my burn rate of 25 gallons per hour and I am chomping at the bit to do it again this Summer!

High gas prices keep the lakes less crowded for us diehards!

#21 ·
Wonder if gas docks will be open by next weekend.?

#22 ·
Business - Reuters

OPEC Tighten Oil Supply Restrictions
2 hours, 16 minutes ago Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Andrew Mitchell and Mona Megalli

VIENNA (Reuters) - OPEC (news - web sites) on Wednesday forged ahead with tighter oil supply curbs, deaf to consumer country complaints about crude prices recently at 13-year highs.

Reuters Photo

Related Quotes
DJIA
NASDAQ
^SPC
+1.93
+2.08

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

Missed Tech Tuesday?
If you've waited this long, why not file online? Get a move on with E-filing tips and tax site comparisons.

The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries agreed to turn down the taps despite calls from the United States for cheaper fuel.

The United States had pressed OPEC to lift export restrictions to help control prices at the pump and prevent energy inflation slowing economic growth.

Delegates said cartel powerhouse Saudi Arabia led the push for implementing cuts of one million barrels a day or four percent from April 1, as first agreed in Algiers in February.

"The Saudis have gone from being a reliable OPEC price dove to OPEC's arch price hawk," said independent energy consultant Mehdi Varzi.

"That's because of the demands of the Saudi budget. They need higher and higher oil prices every year to meet current expenditure for a larger and larger population."

The White House stopped short of openly criticizing OPEC but called for adequate supplies. A spokesman said: "It is important for producers not to take actions that hurt our economy."

OPEC blames speculative investment funds, now commanding record positions on energy contracts, for this year's oil price spike.

Gary Ross of leading U.S. energy consultancy PIRA Energy said: "We estimate speculative funds have already invested $15 billion in oil futures contracts in New York and London. This decision is only going to encourage the speculators to stay long on oil markets."

SLOW COMPLIANCE

Oil prices fell sharply after the deal. A big weekly build in U.S. crude inventories led the slide but expectations among traders that OPEC will be slow to enforce lower quota limits also undermined prices.

Benchmark U.S. crude dumped $1.25 by 1745 GMT (12:45 p.m. EST) to $35.00 a barrel, down from a recent peak of over $38 on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Saudi Arabia's regional Gulf allies Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates had recommended OPEC consider delaying tighter output restrictions to allow oil prices to cool.

The unusual division among OPEC's core Gulf members raised speculation that the United States is now targeting Kuwait and the UAE, instead of Saudi, for diplomatic efforts aimed at getting lower prices.

Delegates said that to cater to Kuwaiti and UAE concerns it was privately acknowledged that actual supplies would not be cut much more in April, unless oil prices fall.

Despite a ritual call from ministers for full adherence to quotas, the behind-the-scenes sop to Kuwait and the UAE appears to be a less than rigorous requirement to immediately meet new limits.

Kuwaiti Oil Minister Sheik Ahmad al-Fahd al-Sabah admitted that it would be May before cartel compliance improved.

"This idea of a compromise to get the Kuwaitis on board, meaning not much of a cut will get implemented, is going to cap prices," said Nauman Barakat of brokers Refco in New York.

Saudi and a few other OPEC countries have already ordered slightly lower April volumes, moving down toward the new combined limit of 23.5 million barrels daily.

But Reuters estimates from a survey of OPEC customers are that actual supplies are likely to drop by only about a third of the planned million barrel a day cut.

On top of that the group is estimated leaking more than a million barrels daily above existing March quota limits of 24.5 million bpd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.