Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this interesting... this is the only county in the country, apparently,that is banning both gay and heterosexual marriages until the supreme court makes it's decision on gay marriages.

The Story

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think it is all BS
. I don't see what the big deal is with same sex marriage. I think anyone over the legal age should be able to make their own decision on who they want to marry. It is just another form of racism in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 02:59 PM)I think it is all BS
. I don't see what the big deal is with same sex marriage. I think anyone over the legal age should be able to make their own decision on who they want to marry. It is just another form of racism in my opinion.
can I marry my cousin ?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I do agree Mel, who the h%ll am I to say who can marry who! Apparently some are so holy and mighty that they can!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
You know that over there they are too confused. Either they marry their brothers or sisters when they foud out that that was wrong they went gay.
Gotta feel sorry for the imbreads.
Or just love them because they make us look smart

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
QUOTE(Madmax @ Mar 24 2004, 02:14 PM)QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 03:06 PM) If you want to, it is you choice.
can I marry my cat or dog ?
I said if they are of legal age, I guess I should have said of legal age and able to make their own decisions

·
Registered
197 Posts
Can I marry my dog, or my blow up doll.

What you are doing is by accepting Gay marriages is undermining the sanctity of marriage which has been understood for thousands of year, Many religions all over the world accept the union of a man and a woman for the reason of raising a family. Gay marriage brings to question the the whole foundation of what marriage was brough to be.

I can agree to making some type of legal partnership among two consenting adult for the purposes of joint-taxes and showing a bond of love. But what happens when these people start to get divorced years down the road. I bet you bottom dollar that many will try to get out of paying money out of their partner by saying it is not a legal marriage. Or when they adopt the child who will get custody, usually the female, but there will be two fo them or none. To many problems.

But marriage is something sacred to me and it is a cherished and divine association of man and wife which helps protect families, maintain that they stay together and assures children are brought up in the best possible situation.

When you start undermining the meaning of marriage then I think things start to fall apart.

Make it so two people can for a sort of Union where they fall under the same laws as Marriage, but preserve the Spirituality of Marriage between a man and a woman for just that purpose.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 01:59 PM)I think it is all BS

I don`t think the issue is the marrige end.....But more about the fact that they are trying to claim them on their insurance and other things like that.......I don`t care one way or the other......As long as I don`t have to see two guys or two girls kissing in public.....That`s hard to explain to little kids like mine......

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 01:59 PM)I think it is all BS
can I marry my hand? after all its the best I've ever had and its not afraid to get a little dirty or of spiders. oooh then I can get tax breaks. and its never gets jealous when the other hand comes around.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(anotherone @ Mar 24 2004, 03:19 PM)Can I marry my dog, or my blow up doll.

What you are doing is by accepting Gay marriages is undermining the sanctity of marriage which has been understood for thousands of year, Many religions all over the world accept the union of a man and a woman for the reason of raising a family. Gay marriage brings to question the the whole foundation of what marriage was brough to be.

I can agree to making some type of legal partnership among two consenting adult for the purposes of joint-taxes and showing a bond of love. But what happens when these people start to get divorced years down the road. I bet you bottom dollar that many will try to get out of paying money out of their partner by saying it is not a legal marriage. Or when they adopt the child who will get custody, usually the female, but there will be two fo them or none. To many problems.

But marriage is something sacred to me and it is a cherished and divine association of man and wife which helps protect families, maintain that they stay together and assures children are brought up in the best possible situation.

When you start undermining the meaning of marriage then I think things start to fall apart.

Make it so two people can for a sort of Union where they fall under the same laws as Marriage, but preserve the Spirituality of Marriage between a man and a woman for just that purpose.
we are on same page.
100 % agree

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 03:17 PM)QUOTE(Madmax @ Mar 24 2004, 02:14 PM) QUOTE(Melly Jo @ Mar 24 2004, 03:06 PM) If you want to, it is you choice.
can I marry my cat or dog ?
I said if they are of legal age, I guess I should have said of legal age and able to make their own decisions

My dog is just one year old. It means 7 years of human life it means I wan`t be able to put him on my blue cross as my spouse

Just a joke, but few years later maybe not

G

·
I don't quite understand how two men or women marrying each other will take away the sanctity of anyone else's marriage. Will knowing that there are gay marriages make you love your wife less, or make you less committed to your family? And does it threaten the sanctity of marriage more than the 50% divorce rate among "normal" marriages? I've really only known a few openly gay people and they were in long term committed relationships, and I don't see the harm in them having the same legal rights as married men and women.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
QUOTE(Madmax @ Mar 24 2004, 03:37 PM)But marriage is something sacred to me and it is a cherished and divine association of man and wife which helps protect families, maintain that they stay together and assures children are brought up in the best possible situation.

I would only imagine that these people who wish to marry also see it sacred and something to cherish

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Marriage is a commitment ceremony with the creation of legal bonds between consenting adults. It is prohibited between closely related heterosexuals because of the likelihood of birth defects in their offspring. Gays do not procreate so that restriction has nothing to do wth this argument.

We need to draw a distinct line between what a religion does and what the state does. If a religion believes you cannot marry for divine reasons, that is part of their dogma. I look on all religions as just so much mumbo-jumbo bs, but I understand people who are devote and gay, and who want to convince their sects to accept them.

But the purpose of marriage sanctioned by the State is to acknowledge commitments between individuals for legal reasons. Gay people wnat this acknowledgement and recognition for the same reason two heterosexuals do - to demonstrate their love and unite in a legally binding relationship, legitimizing their union.

You can't rant about the importance of the institution of marriage and then discount that same importance for gays. Does anyone really want to argue the "sanctity of marriage" position? A pair of loving gays will do alot more to preserve that sanctity of marriage than hetero couplings like RoseAnne and Tom Arnold, Britney Spears and whoever has a few hours to spare, and so on. In fact, I suspect most of us on this board are less than sterling examples of some ideal marital practitioners.

Arguing a biblical stance has its problems - the union according to the Good Book is "until death do you part". Let no man put asunder. Yeah, right. Fact is, everyone I know thinks you're an idiot to stay in an unhappy marriage, but that is in direct opposition to a religious or biblical expectation.

The reality is that a measurable percentage of people are born gay. It's about the same number of people who are born left handed. They should have the same rights, including the right to marry, that all the rest of us who are straight enjoy. It's going to happen eventually. We should quit wasting time making this reality a political football - we are a nation of "majority rule" but not when it comes to human rights. The majority may not vote away the rights of the minority.

As they say, they're queer, they're here, get used to it.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
i don't think it right for us to condemn others and deny wishes for their decisions that may not be the norm. I highly doubt insurance reasons is the primary drive for the gays and lesbians who wish to marry... only another reason for others who don't agree... to fight against.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(anotherone @ Mar 24 2004, 02:19 PM)Can I marry my dog, or my blow up doll.

Times Change

Marriage isn't about religion and has nothing to do with it unless you want it to.

If a man and a women get married with no intentions to have children, should they be denied the right?

If 2 senior citizens decide to get married should they be denied the right?

More and more gay people are adopting kids, the kids no one wants, that are living in homes and such. I think they are doing good things (maybe not all, but not all straights are doing good things either)

Why should gays have less rights?

Do you really personally care if the divorce rate goes up or down? Seems to me straights are doing a fine job of keeping the percentages high and undermining the meaning of marriage.

Plenty of straight's are trying to get out of paying too.

Marriage is the union between 2 people that want to spend the rest of their lives together isn't it? It really doesn't matter to me which 2 people it is.

Its plain ole discrimination if you ask me!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts