Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which reel to buy for fishing weeds/cover/slop, the thick stuff. I don't know if I should buy a lower gear ratio reel because of the power of the low gear, or buy a higher gear ratio reel because of the speed of the line recovery. I guess with one you get power and sacrifice fast line recovery and with the other you get fast line recovery but sacrifice power. What does everyone prefer??

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I always recommend hi-speed ratios for that stuff,...you want to get the fish up and out of there as fast as possible.....slower ratios are good for slower presentations like crnkbts and spinnerbaits etc...they tend to let the baits reach their maximum depth better than a hi-speed reel,...but for pulling fish out of thick cover,..it's hard to beat a hi-speed reel. You can set the hook and with 2-3 good cranks they're up and out of there before they even realize they've been hooked!! Give the advantage to yourself,...not the fish!!

Just my .02..
Mac

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Mac is right high speed in slop. That works ninty nine percent of the time. I can't believe that I just said Mac is right. Must be getting old. Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would definately agree with Mac. When I am pitching and flipping I am constantly tossing my jig from hole to hole to dock to log....etc. A high speed reel allows me to reel in fast and get to the next spot. I can cover more water and get my jig in front of more fish.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
QUOTE(Mac @ Feb 4 2004, 12:36 PM)I always recommend hi-speed ratios for that stuff,...
agree

1 - 5 of 5 Posts