Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Whoah!!! Before you go repaint and all that.

Gel coat is different than paint - better in some ways. Have you tried to rub it out, or if it is real bad, have you tried to wet sand it, followed by rubbing compound, then wax? More times than not, gel coat will rebound nicely if given some attention.

Of course, the graphics do need to come off for the wet sanding if it comes to that....

I would only paint as a last resort

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
How do you figure?

There is no magic "shinny coat" on your gelcoat. It is merely the top surface is polished. By wet sanding and re polishing the gelcoat, you are essentially recreating the same finish it had originally. If the process is not done properly, then yes, it will not last long because there wasn't enough material removal to get clearly through the oxidation.

I personally would let Mike take a stab at it before I went and dumped a bunch of $$ on prep, primer, basecoat, and clear.... not to mention the prep and finish work required... (I paint as well so I am very aware of the work required)

However, if done correctly, and maintained properly, the finish is as good as new.

Paint it if you want, but paint will not be as good as the gelcoat in terms of durability...... that you cannot argue....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.