Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body know someone that does gel coating pretty cheap. I'm thinking of having the gel coat redone on my boat from the rub rail down to the bottom paint and need to find a decent price to have it done.....

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Call Vicious Marine on M-59 in Chesterfield...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I'll see if i can get a business card for you this weekend. One of the boats i'm working on just had that done and it looks beautiful! This guy is pretty busy though.

See what i can do.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll call Vicious Marine and see what he charges.

Dookie
No hurry, I'm not looking to get this done until either Fall or Spring of next year. Just trying to find out how much it'll cost. I would however appreciate the business card.
Let me know when you have it and I'll make time to get it from you.

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
How do you get a boat re-geloated? I don't think thats possible as gel coating is done in the mold. You can wet sand and get the faded gel coat off or paint the boat. Let me know what the process is, I'd be interested to find out.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You can certainly re-gel coat a boat. Lot of work from what I know. You basically sand off the gel that is there and spray new gel. Mine gel coat looks like crap so I'm going to have Viscious Marine paint it instead of new gel.

·
Registered
179 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ May 6 2003, 02:51 PM)You can certainly re-gel coat a boat. Lot of work from what I know. You basically sand off the gel that is there and spray new gel. Mine gel coat looks like crap so I'm going to have Viscious Marine paint it instead of new gel.
Sounds pretty expensive too! Thanks, I learned something today!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Whatever you do, don't go to Vintage Boat Marine, they SUCK. They did a terrible job on our boat...oops I mean old boat. Just sold it a few months ago!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
QUOTE(canehdiangirl @ May 6 2003, 02:15 PM)girl!.. what are you doing typing on here and not calling me back... ugh..

I have a screen on my computer so no one can see what I am doing, but my boss is right here and I can't talk on the phone. I'm waiting for him to leave or something.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I puzzeled, I also thought that you can NOT re-gel coat a boat. I always thought that all you can do is sand then paint. I have dock damage on the side of my boat and have been told by at least 5 different people, including the guy who did my bottom paint this year that you can repair the fiberglass, but then you have to paint.

I am open to any cost effective way to repair fiberglass damage with out having to repaint the whole boat.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, Now I'm confused to, Can a boat be regel coated or not. If so which way would be cheaper, Painting it or regel coating it????

Also which would last longer? I want something that'll last a while, I don't want to have to redo it again in five years..

Anybody That has had either of these done, I would appreciate what kind of results you have had.

Thanks
Rob

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(MrPaul @ May 6 2003, 04:10 PM)I puzzeled, I also thought that you can NOT re-gel coat a boat. I always thought that all you can do is sand then paint. I have dock damage on the side of my boat and have been told by at least 5 different people, including the guy who did my bottom paint this year that you can repair the fiberglass, but then you have to paint.

I am open to any cost effective way to repair fiberglass damage with out having to repaint the whole boat.
That's ridiculous. Of course you can re-do gelcoat. I have had scratches, gouges, and chips repaired in the past. The HARD part is getting a perfect color match. Gelcoat fades over the years so if you match the faded color, when you wet sand it smooth its no longer faded in that area. When you buy a Cruisers Yachts they give you a couple pints of gelcoat from when your boat was made so you never have to worry about the match. I have done gelcoat work a couple times on my boat and it was a perfect match.

Back to the beginning question, I wouldn't gel from a rail to the bottom though, I would paint.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ May 7 2003, 08:40 PM)That's ridiculous. Of course you can re-do gelcoat.
I sense hammer, hands on his hips, huffy puffy,.... smackin'
his lips, red faced, furious with rage, siting back all the way in his chair in front of the computer, pulling his hair, yelling at the screen..... you dummy !.......... then he types his response, hammering the keys as hard as he can, then taking a big swig of a protien drink after

·
12,052 Posts
Must be the same guy that told another member who was going to leave his boat in the water all season that bottom paint slows you down, so don't do it. Dummies......just plain dummies.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ May 7 2003, 08:48 PM)Must be the same guy that told another member who was going to leave his boat in the water all season that bottom paint slows you down, so don't do it. Dummies......just plain dummies.
i an craackin up at my visual of you, all upset....
haha
sorry..... just funny for me i guess !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey, I am not a gel coat expert by any means! I have just got a lot of stupid looks, when I am standing there with money in my hand and I'm told "it can't be done" what the hell do I know.

Back to the topic, who around the lake does a good job for a fair price?

·
12,052 Posts
I don't know anymore. Gelcoat work has never been a fair price. A foot long scratch and about ten chips cost me $700. Now I just do the work myself, it matches, its as good or better, and its cheap.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
QUOTE(MrPaul @ May 7 2003, 09:56 PM)Hey, I am not a gel coat expert by any means! I have just got a lot of stupid looks, when I am standing there with money in my hand and I'm told "it can't be done" what the hell do I know.

Back to the topic, who around the lake does a good job for a fair price?
CALL SPARKY AT VICIOUS! HE WILL DO A GREAT JOB AT A FAIR PRICE WHETHER YOU DECIDE TO PAINT OR GELCOAT! AS HAMMER SAID IF YOU WANT FROM THE RAIL DOWN DONE, YOU'RE BETTER OFF PAINTING...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts