Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
10,116 Posts
QUOTE(MrPaul @ May 6 2003, 04:10 PM)I puzzeled, I also thought that you can NOT re-gel coat a boat. I always thought that all you can do is sand then paint. I have dock damage on the side of my boat and have been told by at least 5 different people, including the guy who did my bottom paint this year that you can repair the fiberglass, but then you have to paint.

I am open to any cost effective way to repair fiberglass damage with out having to repaint the whole boat.
That's ridiculous. Of course you can re-do gelcoat. I have had scratches, gouges, and chips repaired in the past. The HARD part is getting a perfect color match. Gelcoat fades over the years so if you match the faded color, when you wet sand it smooth its no longer faded in that area. When you buy a Cruisers Yachts they give you a couple pints of gelcoat from when your boat was made so you never have to worry about the match. I have done gelcoat work a couple times on my boat and it was a perfect match.

Back to the beginning question, I wouldn't gel from a rail to the bottom though, I would paint.

· Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Must be the same guy that told another member who was going to leave his boat in the water all season that bottom paint slows you down, so don't do it. Dummies......just plain dummies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.